Hunting with Mil-Surp

2»

Replies

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Well, a shootable cull buck came in when the light was still too poor to see the SMLE sights. But I still wanted this guy in my freezer and out of the gene pool. So I pulled up the old, trusty NEF .308 with the Leupold VX-II, and shot him at the base of the skull.

photo-704342.JPG

He was about a 3.5 year old with a small unsymmetrical rack with some gnarly mass that you can't see in this pic. So he is down with the tenderloins and backstrap in the fridge, and the rest being turned into Jerky and stew meat.

Back out in a few hours, still trying to get one with the SMLE

There is always next time my friend, other opportunities will present. I have been hunting this weekend with my K98 but wussed out last night when I had a large sow come out just before dark a 210 yards. I grabbed my AR10 and dropped her with a head shot just below the ear.
    Today the right opportunity presented itself with 4 javelinas; the K98 dropped one with no effort but the shot was only 40 yards. The old nazi warhorse took it down like dropping a bag of rocks. Pics to follow when I get back home tomorrow night.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,832 Senior Member
    I was going to say Tim, my next hunt with a Mil Surp will be one of my Yugos, but it won't be in Mil Spec conformity. I am having it castrated as we speak. It's getting the full face lift and it will be scoped. The only thing Mil Surp about it will be the barrel and the ammo. The bolt is being bent, the safety replaced with a Beuler, the trigger a Timney, and it will sport a scope and a Boyd's Classic Lamanate stock. It will still be 8x57 with the military barrel and the action will be almost the same except for the firing pin spring, which will be a stronger spring to increase lock time. It will be bedded in the Boyd's stock so it won't look like a mil surp. I'm going to hunt with it a year or so and then I'll have a 6mm barrel screwed in and reemed and headspaced to 6mm Remington.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Well snake you know what they say, "it's what's on the inside that counts" well my K98 may look fairly close to period correct on the outside the scope and mount are reproductions, the fluted flash hider is enfield but I think it looks cool on there and it is hiding a Timney trigger. I say it is close enough because the rest of the rifle is nazi issue 1943.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    Mine's worse than Nazi, it's Muslim Nazi!

:vomit::banned::bang::silly::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,338 Senior Member
    Take a GI FMJ round apart sometime, and I'll bet you still find an open back end on the bullet. It would be pretty well impossible to get a lead core inside one that's sealed on both ends.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Well after thinking this over, I think it's a bubba deal anyway, and I should have thought more about it. I know you can get into trouble playing Bubba. Thanks for the heads up Teach.
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Hunting with an iron sighted battle rifle?!?!

Is this some sick twisted joke?!?!

EVERYONE KNOWS ya need a magnum .33 caliber custom rifle with at LEAST a $1000 20x scope.

And those tales of buckskin-clad hunters of yester-year using black powder Pennsylvania/Kentucky rifles with patched round balls and primative iron sights to shoot deer at over 100yds are just fairy tales.
    "There are no victims , only volunteers!"
    Just got back home from the lease. We had fun this weekend, one of my hunting buddies finally took his first pig so he was doing a happy dance.

I shot a large sow Friday evening with my AR-10 but that doesn't count for the milsurp thread but Saturday evening I managed to put down 2 Javalina with the old K98. Took the first one with a head shot at 40 yard shot and since I was all pumped up with confidence I tried it on a long range shot when they walked back out in the road on the opposite side. I took the second Javalina with a head shot at 150 yards. Ammo used was my own hand loads with 200 grain Speer Hot Core bullets.
    Here are soem pics...
    K98lookingforswine.jpg
    K98Javalinas.jpg
    Tim, have you ever tried Wolf Gold Ammo in your Mausers? I have about 120 rounds I bought from Midway a few years back. It's 196 grain Soft Nose. I know it's not super high velocity and I haven't shot it through the Chrony yet, but I imagine in my 23" barrel it's around 2500 FPS MV. For most hog hunting around here, out to 300 Yards I imagine it would work fine. Anyway, if my smith ever finishes my latest Yugo it will still be in 8mm form for year or two until I have it rebarreled to 6mm Remington. So I have plenty of ammo for a few hogs. I don't even have a die for the 8mm yet. I guess that's in the mill for a purchase down the road. Even though I'm going to convert 3 of these Yugos to something else (already did one) I will always have at least one 8x57. When I get through with all these projects the only 8mm I'll have will be in Mil Surp form because I will not sporterize all four, but I want to put a higher front blade sight on it so I can use it as is for hogs at 100-200 yards. They shoot way high at 100 with the Mil Spec sights as most Mausers do because the front blade is too short. Teach says it's most likely that way by design. I imagine it was designed to be shot at long range. This is a little overkill for long range because when your target is up close you'll shoot high.
    Never tried the Wolf Gold ammo, I have gotten great results with the hand loads so I haven't looked anwhere else and when I can pop them oinkers in the head at 150 yards I think I am good with what I have! :)
2»