Home Main Category Clubhouse

Files?

tubabucknuttubabucknut BannedPosts: 3,520 Senior Member
What files do you use? I have been using Joe home owner crap from Lowes, Home Depot. They wear out very quick. What brand lasts? Where do I buy? These would be for metal work.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,715 Senior Member
    I do not know, there are some in my tool chest that have been there since forever; probably from sears.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    Craftsman, but they are from 25+ years ago so........ shrug.gif
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    And use a file card on them often
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • TxwheelsTxwheels Member Posts: 151 Member
    All of my old files are Craftsman. I inherited them from my uncle but they work as good as new.
    If I don't answer the phone, I'm probably in the Senate taking a POTUS and wiping my Congress
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Files are consumables- - - -once they get a little dull it's time to recycle them. One trick to make them last a little longer is to rub a piece of welder's chalk into the teeth to keep metal shavings from "pinning" into the bottom of the teeth. Once a file gets clogged with shavings, it gouges huge craters in the workpiece instead of taking a smooth cut. Use a file card or at least a stiff bristle wire brush on the teeth every few strokes.

I buy "new old stock" Nicholson brand files on Ebay every chance I get, the longer the better. My favorite for flat filing is a 14" length file about 1 1/2" wide.
    Jerry
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,960 Senior Member
    Nicholson, use a file card and welders chalk to clean them, they can be re-sharpened somewhat by a quick dip in Nitric acid, followed with a hot water and baking soda soak for 5 min.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member