Home Main Category Clubhouse

Saturday night - What's fer dinner?

timctimc Senior MemberPosts: 6,684 Senior Member
A little surf and turf for the Mrs and me tonight. We had thin cut rib-eyes that were pan fried, Ahi Tuna steaks on a bed of rice pilaf cooked with a Honey dijon sauce. Spinach salad with blue cheese, tomatoes, a nice green onion, all topped with a home made honey balsamic dressing and a sweet bottle of Riesling to tie it all together.

Life is good!
475703A9-2233-4AC2-A73A-C58FAB26DC44_zpsfiokuud2.jpg
timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
AKA: Former Founding Member

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    My boy has had a cold last two weeks.

Made a big pot a chicken soup.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    I have a pork tenderloin smoking right now. I am also smoking some stuffed, onions.

Cpj it is not hard, but the sauce sucks. skip it. Just go with the poached eggs, ham, and English muffin. I love poached eggs.
    I have tried several sauce recipes. It has always been :vomit:. To each his own.

And yeah, bacon makes it better. We usually fry up prodigious amounts of bacon, toast the muffins, and go to town.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,727 Senior Member
    Right now it's a margarita and attempting to study after working 12 days straight. I'm sure food is on the agenda at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    That looks yummy.
    I'm possibly having eggs Benedict. Never made them, but it can't be too hard.
    That is good stuff. McCormick makes a packaged hollandaise sauce that isn't half bad.
    91EtKa3hgEL._SY606SX434_SY606_CR,0,0,434,606_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_SX434_SY606_CR,0,0,434,606_SH20_.jpg

Mama is cooking bear back strap, sirloin steaks cooked in bacon grease (from the steer that JB's buddy raised) with compound butter and baked potatoes. Dutch apple pie for dessert.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    10946545_1612528935625592_1018382575_n.jpg
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,705 Senior Member
    Well, we had Saturday Night Special.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,156 Senior Member
    Creamed chicken over buttermilk biscuits...........

Tomorrow is a roast in the crockpot with potatoes and carrots, and Jiffy corn muffins. Wife is going to make an apple pie too/two/tutu........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    /tutu........
    Don't encourage Queen Klinger :nono:
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,139 Senior Member
    Delivery Chinese food. I had sesame chicken
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,291 Senior Member
    I have a pork tenderloin smoking right now. I am also smoking some stuffed, onions.

Cpj it is not hard, but the sauce sucks. skip it. Just go with the poached eggs, ham, and English muffin. I love poached eggs.
    Please describe your smoked stuffed onions. Never heard of that but sounds good.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    The kids are visiting for the weekend...made a big pot of Broccoli Cheese Soup...and I have a 5 pound pork butt that has been marinating all day and goes into the roaster as midnight for Sunday dinner....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    cpj wrote: »
    I don't know how you couldn't like that sauce. OMG. I was eating the leftovers with a spoon straight out da bowl. Butter, lemon juice, egg yolk, a pinch of salt. Holy crap it was good.
    I think it is the less is more thing. The Hollandaise got in the way of all of the other deliciousness on the plate. The lemon was the offending flavor.
    RugerFan wrote: »
    Please describe your smoked stuffed onions. Never heard of that but sounds good.

Hollow out a Vidalia onion. Chop up the hollowed out part, and saute with bacon. Stuff the onion with the bacon, and onion mixture. Add a big pat of butter, and barbacue sauce. Smoke on the grill for an hour. The onion is sweet, tender, smoky, and full of bacony heaven.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    I made chili. First time for me; the spousal unit usually makes it. Turned out pretty good.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    I made chili. First time for me; the spousal unit usually makes it. Turned out pretty good.

I was the 'master of chili' in the family for many years. Nobody would make it for family gatherings, for fear it would be compared to mine. I used a complicated recipe that involved dozens of ingredients, several pounds of ground and diced beef, and it took several hours to make it. Then, my oldest daughter married a guy who knew nothing about my legendary chili cooking prowess, and he whipped some up for all of us one day, in about an hour. It was the best chili I had ever eaten, and cost a fraction of what I spent to make a big pot of chili. I felt like a complete fool for going through my chili ritual for all those years. Nowadays, I keep it pretty simple, because I realize that a lot of people make good chili, and everybody likes it just a little different from everybody else.

The spices are what make chili taste good, and almost everybody uses the same ones. It's simply a matter of using the right amount and adding them at the right time, and then letting everybody 'kick it up a notch' the way they want, with red pepper, cheese, beans, ketchup...or whatever they like. The one rule I follow is to not let the chili powder overpower everything else. It needs just enough so that you can detect its presence.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,156 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I was the 'master of chili' in the family for many years. Nobody would make it for family gatherings, for fear it would be compared to mine. I used a complicated recipe that involved dozens of ingredients, several pounds of ground and diced beef, and it took several hours to make it. Then, my oldest daughter married a guy who knew nothing about my legendary chili cooking prowess, and he whipped some up for all of us one day, in about an hour. It was the best chili I had ever eaten, and cost a fraction of what I spent to make a big pot of chili. I felt like a complete fool for going through my chili ritual for all those years. Nowadays, I keep it pretty simple, because I realize that a lot of people make good chili, and everybody likes it just a little different from everybody else.

The spices are what make chili taste good, and almost everybody uses the same ones. It's simply a matter of using the right amount and adding them at the right time, and then letting everybody 'kick it up a notch' the way they want, with red pepper, cheese, beans, ketchup...or whatever they like. The one rule I follow is to not let the chili powder overpower everything else. It needs just enough so that you can detect its presence.

Long complicated recipes are rarely worth the time when simple tastes just fine.............

0004150005808_A?$img_size_380x380$

A quart of home canned tomato juice does make it taste better than store bought.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Fried squirrel tonight.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    We had Italian delivered. Veal parmigiana, butternut squash soup, and caesar salad, not in that order.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Regarding chili, I used to use a starter from Jardine's that I would doctor up with my own meats, beans and spices. They stopped making it, so now I'm back to Wife's homemade Texas style chili, which is a lot better but a lot more complicated.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Pork roast in the crockpot early this morning...baked sweet potatoes, collard greens, squash (Zephyr squash, and you've never heard of it!), and fried cornbread! Can't get any more Southern than that! Also a couple of mixed Cokes, crushed ice and Waller sour mash that my wife doesn't know about.....yet :tooth: