Home Main Category General Firearms

Magazine storage?

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 24,086 Senior Member
Looking for an "effective" way to store all my pistol magazines - various sized, brands, lengths, calibers, etc. Either a wall-mount thing or a storage box with dividers. See all kinds of overpriced stuff - what's cheap and works? I'm pushing quantity 20 right now...
-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    Since you are a good sewer, I would make a bandolier or something and use elastic to hold the magazines.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Something like this, but bigger (this one is for shot shells)...
    61y3AfyfSvL._SX522_.jpg
    -Thomas Paine
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,086 Senior Member
    That *is* an idea - like I need yet another project, but it still wouldn't be that hard to knock out. Get some wide non-roll black elastic and stitch appropriately onto a belt, attach to edge of shelf in closet. I'll keep that in mind while I see what other ideas folks have...

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,161 Senior Member
    Store them in the guns.............and buy more guns if you have mags left over.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,311 Senior Member
    Magnetic strip(s) from Harbor Freight.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Plano makes plastic .30 caliber ammo cans. Use one of those and ziplock bags.

Or something like http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2394322904/california-competition-works-8-pistol-magazine-storage-pouch-nylon?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Single stack mags could be doubled up in each pouch.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I have a shop cabinet on top of my bench, with drawers I use for small parts, paperwork, and pistol magazines. I just keep them sorted by type, and it works fine for me.

There are a few loaded mags stored near house guns and carry guns, too.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,841 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Something like this, but bigger (this one is for shot shells)...
    61y3AfyfSvL._SX522_.jpg

Don't store them like that for long, moisture can build up in the fabric and could get rust.

If ya got the box for the gun put them there
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Store them in the guns.............and buy more guns if you have mags left over.

This...
    I'm liking CPJ's magnet idea - cheap and easy. Storing them in the safe is becoming problematic - I'm running out of space and they don't absolutely need to be in there. Of course, none of youse-guys have an overflowing safe problem. :tooth:

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,302 Senior Member
    Lay your magazines out and stack them how you would like to store them and measure. Go to your local container store or big box place and purchase one half again as big. You know your gonna get more so plan ahead. Then you can stack containers on a shelf, under the bed, wherever.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,665 Senior Member
    I had the entire basement in Colorado now I'm down to a medium sized bedroom and closet for the all the stuff!!!!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    I saw pistol magazines and wall-mount.....

mags_zps2xoyzppn.jpg
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Mags to me also fall into two basic classes, loaded and unloaded. The unloaded ones I keep in the clear labeled bins from Lowes just to keep them half way organized. Mags are not that fragile so stored in a clear dry bin is fine by me. Now loaded mags are different. Some like my HD ones are stored in mag pouchs while others are carefully staged in the safe with a few on certain shelves through the house.

Unless they are more expensive or rare mags I don't worry about storage of unloaded ones other than clean and dry where I can find them pretty easy and the clear bins with labels work for me.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Mags to me also fall into two basic classes, loaded and unloaded. The unloaded ones I keep in the clear labeled bins from Lowes just to keep them half way organized. Mags are not that fragile so stored in a clear dry bin is fine by me. Now loaded mags are different. Some like my HD ones are stored in mag pouchs while others are carefully staged in the safe with a few on certain shelves through the house.

Unless they are more expensive or rare mags I don't worry about storage of unloaded ones other than clean and dry where I can find them pretty easy and the clear bins with labels work for me.

Which bins? Are they divided? etc, etc.

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Since you are a good sewer, I would make a bandolier or something and use elastic to hold the magazines.

A sewer ????
    noun
    an artificial conduit, usually underground, for carrying off waste water and refuse, as in a town or city

Perhaps, tailor ?
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    A sewer ????
    noun
    an artificial conduit, usually underground, for carrying off waste water and refuse, as in a town or city

Perhaps, tailor ?

A tailor does not make dresses. Seamstress is the word you are looking for.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    A sewer ????
    noun

Perhaps, tailor ?

seamstress

/ˈsēmstris/
    noun

noun: seamstress; plural noun: seamstresses

a woman who sews, especially one who earns her living by sewing. :jester: :troll:
  • MississippiBoyMississippiBoy Senior Member Posts: 819 Senior Member
    A tailor does not make dresses. Seamstress is the word you are looking for.

You beat me to it....:beer:
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Which bins? Are they divided? etc, etc.

I am not sure what the maker is but they are clear undivided bins with snap on tops. I have some the size of shoe boxes for say pistol mags up to the larger ones that can hold 50 plus AR mags stacked neatly.

These are not the exact ones but they are close:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_336489-62860-7101HFT-10-111-44_1z0yly3__?productId=3341158&pl=1

http://www.lowes.com/pd_336491-62860-7103HFT-10-111-44_1z0yly3__?productId=3341162&pl=1

I use some others like them to store more things from work-in-projects to keep all the parts together to common supplies. BUT the saving grace for everything is my wife's P-Touch label maker she "lost" a couple years back. You can read the label as well as see what is in the bin.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    If nothing else, I've never made a dress. Not a woman either, at least last time I looked! :tooth:

But I did just receive a SKIRT that is going to turn into a project - more than I really wanted, but I'm into it now for better or worse. Needs a new waistband - which I knew about gong in - but its also a bit too short. If fixing the waistband doesn't lengthen it enough, I'm going to have to add a flounce to the bottom - it'll be pretty and worth it and all that - but a fair amount of sewing machine time! Bright red crushed velvet is da bomb!

Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Gun magazines, Dear Lord!!! FOCUS!!!!!! GUN MAGAZINES!!!!! :bang:

Yea, I know. :silly: Its FB's fault, he's the one who derailed the thread! :rotflmao:

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,350 Senior Member
    Ammo cans and a label maker.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bullsi1911 wrote: »

No dividers. By the time I buy yet another ammo can and dividers - I'm out $30 or more.

• wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 1,004 Senior Member
    ....... Of course, none of youse-guys have an overflowing safe problem. :tooth:

:rotflmao:

All kidding aside, go down to your local Wally World and get yourself a medium point white marker and write on the mag, what gun it is for (wipe oil off first).
    At that point also pick up a small plastic bin to store all "20" magazines, properly identified.
    Simple and uses very little space for the extras not being stored in the gun intended.

“When guns are outlawed, only patriots will have guns.”
    I got one of those double stacked rolling tool boxes where I keep magazines in a few of the drawers. Then a drawer for scope rings, another for scope mounts, another for screws and bits, and another for etc., etc.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,183 Senior Member
    No dividers. By the time I buy yet another ammo can and dividers - I'm out $30 or more.

Cardboard cut to size...Geez...how ca anyone complicate a freakin GI ammo can.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Cardboard cut to size...Geez...how ca anyone complicate a freakin GI ammo can.....

He wears skirts, just sayin'.....
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • Red HorseRed Horse Member Posts: 96 Member
    Easy solution that works for me --- get zippered fabric bags (bank bags, tool bags, parts bags, whatever) and then mark them with a contrasting ink Sharpie (black bag - silver ink, etc.) I have found most of my bags at either Lowes or Home Depot in the tool department somewhere around the tool pouches. Got serious about doing this when I mixed up CZ75 and Browning Hi-Power magazines. Vocabulary was not Sunday School approved at that moment. I have also found that Crown Royal bags are great for large(r) capacity 10/22 magazines. You have the added benefit of feeling obligated to do something with the CR.

These bags/pouches are also very easy to pack in a range bag.

Edited to add: this system also works well for revolver speed loaders
    zu Gleich

"Better is the enemy of Good"
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »

................Now that's focus Bullsi1911!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......That what you mentioned above, is what I use also!!!!..works good and last a long time!
    "It is what it is":usa: