Home Main Category General Firearms

Range Report - AR-10T and 6x45mm AR

JKPJKP Senior MemberPosts: 2,270 Senior Member
Got out yesterday mainly focused on working up a load for the recently built 6x45mm AR plus brought along my AR-10T to shoot while cooling the barrel on the 6 x45mm.

Armalite%20AR10T%20and%206x45mm%20AR_zpsphkwz5td.jpg

I shot the AR-10 using the bipod and a rear rest. Not stellar results, but I imagine better groups could be had with a fixed front rest. I will probably work up a load for this rifle soon anyway.

9cc1877a-3bbc-46d6-aa91-9c9c8e0a5921_zpsnsvh29rt.jpg

For the 6x45mm I went with something close to what Zee had good luck with - 85 gr Sierra spitzer over Benchmark powder. Started at 25.4gr and worked up to 26.0.

First 3 groups:

6x45mm2010020yards20load20workup-1_zpsrpfpm1jq.jpg

Started to get accurate at 25.8 then 26.0:

6x45mm2010020yards20load20workup-2_zpswavjz4sd.jpg

I've got some HPBT bullets on the way and will likely load them in the 25.8-26.2 gr range. Hopefully I won't have to mess with different powders to reach 0.5" or less.

Commentary - first three shots from the 25.8 gr and 26.0 gr loads would have suggested higher levels of accuracy. That's why I shoot five!

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Lookin very good. 100 Yards? Amazing how accurate those ARs can be/get these days.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Looks pretty good.

Funny you should post this today, Saturday I shot my 6X45 for the first time. I also had Sierra 85gr BTPH loaded over Benchmark. I had planned to shoot my LR308 and see which load I had made up of likes best. I ran short of time for the .308.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,507 Senior Member
    Looks like potential! Do you think the zingers are operator error? The groups look tight sans the wayward children. If they were all scattered, I'd say the loads suck. But, being tight in general with 1 or 2 off...............
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,507 Senior Member
    Looks pretty good.

Funny you should post this today, Saturday I shot my 6X45 for the first time. I also had Sierra 85gr BTPH loaded over Benchmark.

How did it shoot?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    How did it shoot?

My groups looked similar to what JKP posted. The 25.6 and 25.8gr loads showed definite promise, except for the trigger nut was loose. Way loose.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,138 Senior Member
    Looks good. You got a keeper
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Lookin very good. 100 Yards? Amazing how accurate those ARs can be/get these days.

Got that right Big Chief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:that::agree:
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,270 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Looks like potential! Do you think the zingers are operator error? The groups look tight sans the wayward children. If they were all scattered, I'd say the loads suck. But, being tight in general with 1 or 2 off...............

I don't think so - all shots felt consistent. It was raining but I doubt that introduced that much change.

Admittedly my front rest isn't as solid as that anvil you use...
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,270 Senior Member
    Chrono doesn't like rain so no numbers there. Might try 26.2 since I saw no signs of over pressure.