Home Main Category General Firearms

Whole lot a loading going on. However, only one load is new.

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,394 Senior Member
I'm loading up enough rounds to get through hunting season. My .223 was down to less than 20 rounds of it's pet load, a Hornady 68 grain BTHP bullet with 26.1 grains Varget. My .30-06 was down to 8 rounds of its favorite, a 200 Grain Game King over 56.5 grains IMR 4831, and my .270 with 130 grain Game King or Combined Technologies Ballistic Silvertip over 56.7 grains IMR 4831. I was down to 9 rounds of those.

The only thing different is my 8x57 which I used to shoot with a 150 grain Hornady Interlock, which didn't impress me. Now I got some 175 grain Sierra Pro Hunters over I'm not sure yet. I'm looking at BLC 2 and possibly IMR 4064 or IMR 4895, IMR only because that's what I have on hand right now. I've had great luck with Hodgdon's also. All will be primed with CCI 200s for the large Rifle Primers, and CCI 400 for the small primers in the .223. Every year I get more into Bigger and Slower. Range report to come soon. I need this completed before opening day of deer season, November 7th.
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Well, get off here and back to the loading bench! :jester:

Let us know how the loads work out when you hit the range to verify.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,594 Senior Member
    Sweet you have a "winter" project!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    :tissue::drool::roll: Snake you make me miss my reloading equipment!!!!!!!!!!!1hahhahahahahaha
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Sweet you have a "winter" project!

No, this better happen before winter, I want to use these to hunt deer with starting November 7th. I'll load up about 5 and hit the range, see how they shoot and load up a little hotter until I get the accuracy and performance I want. I found a couple loads that should work. One is 48 grains of IMR 4895 and another is 55 grains of RL-17. Those are max for that bullet-powder combo so I'll drop down about 5 grains and work up. It will be lot's of range trips but I'll get there. The other loads are all proven and nothing new. I also need to load up some .257 AIs. I only have about 7 rounds for it. But that's another one that's already worked up, so it's just a matter of reloading about twenty rounds.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    :tissue::drool::roll: Snake you make me miss my reloading equipment!!!!!!!!!!!1hahhahahahahaha

Robert, one thing about me. I reload because I feel it's a necessity for accuracy and to fulfill the potential of my rifles, I don't get a lot of pleasure out of it. It's work. But I do get satisfaction when I down a deer or hog with a round I made myself.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    What ya need all them rifles fer Willis, won't your .270 whack anything you are likely to bust a cap on in Texas? :jester:

Substitute Whole Lot Of Reloading fer Whole Lot Of Shakin............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQfNH--FpjI
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Big Chief wrote: »
    What ya need all them rifles fer Willis, won't your .270 whack anything you are likely to bust a cap on in Texas? :jester:

Substitute Whole Lot Of Reloading fer Whole Lot Of Shakin............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQfNH--FpjI

Yeah, but if I get all this loaded I'll be shakin' in the Deer Blind. Hey that sounds like a great song title, Shakin' in da deer blind, oh yeah, shakin' in da deer blind!!! Oh Yeah

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Robert, one thing about me. I reload because I feel it's a necessity for accuracy and to fulfill the potential of my rifles, I don't get a lot of pleasure out of it. It's work. But I do get satisfaction when I down a deer or hog with a round I made myself.

............................:cool2::agree:...OK,snake I git it... I never thought that much about reloading until a shooting buddy of mine back in the late 1990's introduced me into it, and then I was hooked on it...... Accuracy sure, but for me I actually liked it. It was fun, relaxing and a great way to learn about ballistics, bullets and specs., and brass, powders, etc. and save money; to always have ammo to shoot with without spending a fortune.:up:
    "It is what it is":usa: