Home Main Category General Firearms

Sub-$200 Handgun Scopes?

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 11,409 Senior Member
It's is finally time to put some eyes on the CVA Scout pistol in .243. While I would love to put on a $600 leupold, that will not work out with the new floors we are having installed in the house (draining the fun fund), and also would not keep in concert with the "Budget Specialty Pistol" theme of this project (I only paid $18 out of pocket for the pistol after trowing together collected gift cards, etc...). So I am looking at options for glass, and something higher than a 2x- it is a .243, after all. What I have found is pretty limited in that price range... pretty much the Bushnell Trophy XLT 2-6x32 that is the same one I have on my .454 Casul.

Anything I am missing?

(One option I have considered is taking the scope off my .454, and replacing it with a fixed 2x or 4x and using that scope on the .243.)
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    For a few more bucks you can go with a Weaver 2.5x8. Midway has them for 235.00 right now. I have one on my casull and it's been holding up pretty good so far.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    You are pretty much spot on with the bushnell for that price range. I will say the Simmons variable held up to about 25 rounds of .308 this weekend, but not long enough to judge it. You can find a few used weavers, burris, etc.. on E-bay, but they prices and availability really vary. I have good luck purchasing a few used pistol scopes. The weaver 2.5x8 is a sweet scope. That $235 price is the lowest I have seen.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,962 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    For a few more bucks you can go with a Weaver 2.5x8. Midway has them for 235.00 right now. I have one on my casull and it's been holding up pretty good so far.

This.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • HogginHoggin Member Posts: 413 Member
    The lowest I would go would be the weaver
    :applause:

Love doing the "impossible" with a handgun!
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,885 Senior Member
    I wouldn't piss on the best part of a Burris I've had nothing but trouble with them and their customer service. Switch with the 454 until you can afford a decent scope. Heck there's always lay-a-way. With the price of ammo components what do you think you'll save with a scope that goes to pieces.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Put me wise folks if ya have too, I don't mind.... Something I have never understood is the fact that some (not you bullsi1911),but why is it that some have to have glass 10 times more expensive than the weapon itself? I know, I know, some scopes are much better than others, but never the less.....????
    "It is what it is":usa:
    Put me wise folks if ya have too, I don't mind.... Something I have never understood is the fact that some (not you bullsi1911),but why is it that some have to have glass 10 times more expensive than the weapon itself? I know, I know, some scopes are much better than others, but never the less.....????

As far as handgun scopes go most of the scopes cost the same or less than your handgun.....:iwo:

As a additional note....my favorite handgun scope is a bushnell elite. Retail around 300

• FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,885 Senior Member
    Quality of the optics is one reason, long term performance is another, the third is customer service. You get what you pay for.
    You can spend .10 cents on something and if it doesn't work it was expensive. Spend $1.00 on a similar thing and it performs well, it was a bargain.

Quality is never a mistake.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink: