Home Main Category General Firearms

Giving guns away

jaywaptijaywapti Senior MemberPosts: 4,981 Senior Member
I have not kept up with the regulations since I gave up my FFL on 01, if I want to give a gun to someone that lives out of state, does there have to be a transfer thru a dealer or can I just give them a gun. They are not felons and have no criminal records ??

JAY
THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,327 Senior Member
    Out of state? Well dang guess that means it isn't for me.I guess Uncle Jay dosnt have a gun for me. From what I understand Give is no issue, sending is where you need a FFL.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Unless local politicians in either the 'giving" or "receiving" location have gotten their fingers into the process, I'd just pay the recipient a visit for a little target shooting and sort of forget to take the gun home.
    Jerry
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Read the Gun Control Act of 1968 and figure it out for yourself. Bear in mind that state governments in gun-friendly states have made it clear that they are under no legal obligation to enforce federal laws.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    By federal law any handgun transfer of ownership legally needs to go through an FFL In the receivers home state. Like Teach says states of those involved can get have some bureaucratic BS and I am pretty sure Florida is easy but the state of the receiver might have a hitch if they are less gun friendly.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    How about applying these principles with modifications SSS..........................Shoot/Shovel/Shut-up.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    What Teach (Jerry) said is the best method. Go visit them or have them come visit you. Either way, the firearm goes with them when you/they leave. It would only get sticky for them if they live in one of those less free states that require registration of firearms, and that can be covered. Since it is a gift, that can be covered by you with a written note that the firearm was presented as a gift. The note saying it is a gift will cover the Fed angle, and should ease the state angle if it needs to be registered. Fed law says a gift firearm does not need to go through the normal process, but state laws may require it anyway.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,981 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    What Teach (Jerry) said is the best method. Go visit them or have them come visit you. .

Visit's are out of the question right now, they will be going to Calif., Nevada, Minn., Wisc., & N.C. Mostly long guns but some pistol's.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Visit's are out of the question right now, they will be going to Calif., Cheshire,Nevada, Minn., Wisc., & N.C. Mostly long guns but some pistol's.

JAY

:up:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Visit's are out of the question right now, they will be going to Calif., Nevada, Minn., Wisc., & N.C. Mostly long guns but some pistol's.

JAY[/QUO
    If it's me, I'd just hold on to them until a visit is possible. Being that there's no Federal law YET to bother you, if it's a gift there's no paperwork trail for them to follow and no law yet demanding it unless of course it is put in the mail. Once the guns are transferred what proof will they have? "Uncle Joe died a few Years back and he had no will and I was his only living heir." Just make sure you have an Uncle Joe (Not Biden) where the story matches up. Unless you use one in a crime ain't nobody going to know or want to know.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,438 Senior Member
    heres my take.

If all you have is 1 or 2 guns, and you want to CYA, then go through the FFL. Some FFLs will receive from a non FFL holder and if thats the case, you won't have to deal with one on your side. If they dont, then you will.

Since the guns are "free" and as such, just about 0 cost to the receiving person. If that was the case and if i need to use an FFL on my side to receive, i would see it as an inexpensive way to get those guns now.

Its up to you how you want to do it.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    I don't have a FFL either and know state laws can very from state to state BFWIW,,,I live in Colorado and in the past when I was able and had the means to do it I would give my brother a gun or two every once in a while. No money was exchanged.. I got a LGS here to get a faxed copy of a LGS,where my brother lived and once the two stores exchanged FFL the weapon was on its way to my brother.
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,106 Senior Member
    I'm not going to question you judgement in giving guns away. I'm just going down to my local FFL and wait for the package. And here I thought you weren't getting me anything for Christmas. :jester:

He isn't - he's shipping dem guns to me! :tooth:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,046 Senior Member

JAY

Meet them in NC.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11