Home Main Category Clubhouse

2000 rds.......cooked off...

olesniperolesniper Senior MemberPosts: 3,763 Senior Member
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270

Replies

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    The humanity!!!:tissue:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,678 Senior Member
    I wonder what THAT was all about?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    I only counted 1969, I want my money back.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,678 Senior Member
    1969 was a good year.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,647 Senior Member
    And not a single person was hurt, how can that be? wonders every anti-gunner.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    makes me wonder how the first cartridge cookers turned out -before the engineers finally got it right.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,717 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    1969 was a good year.

Yes it was----went on R&R in Hawaii and made it home that year, too.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    That escalated quickly.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    What was the point of that exercise in stupidity?
    Jerry
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Amazing - no 1000' crater and the North Pole didn't melt. This could change the way movies are made....not.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    Found a description of the video:

"Ever wonder what it would be like to cook over 2,000 rounds of old surplus ammunition? It looks and sounds a lot like popcorn in a kettle—if your kettle caught on fire and spat out bullets.

You can see an example of what a controlled demolition is like below. According to the video’s description, the demolition took place at a military site near Zelenokumsk, Russia and involved thousands of rounds left over since World War II. These rounds are no longer considered usable and can actually be quite dangerous to anyone attempting to fire them, so they are destroyed."
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    2K rounds sounds like a very small drop in a big bucket, compared to the amount of ammo manufactured for that war. When I was involved in launching three B-52's every 4 hours from Okinawa 24/7 in the early 1970's, we were loading some of them with 1,000 lb. bombs left over from the Korean war. Some of them were so rusty the painted identification bands on the nose of the bombs were gone, so we really had no idea what they were dropping- - - -possibly high explosive, armor piercing, white phosphorus, etc. They were found in a long-forgotten underground bunker on Kadena air base!
    Jerry
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I fired some WW-ll vintage .45 acp ammo, steel cased stuff, after a few boxes the extractor broke, otherwise it was good ammo.

I witnessed a demo of a large handful of rifle and pistol ammo thrown into a very hot coal fired potbelly stove, it was quite a disappointment, merely, piff piff, paffff, pufff, not even as loud as popcorn.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996