Home Main Category General Firearms

More scope advice

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 11,331 Senior Member
The gun has been been decided on and a deal struck. Gun: Remington 700 heavy barrel, Caliber: 223 Remington.
Stock may/maynot be replaced, trigger will be replaced with a Timney. The gun will be used to punch holes in paper, hopefully they will be really close together and once in a while woodchucks and other undesirables on family property.
What I am unsure of is which scope. I am attempting to keep the cost down, but do not want something that will fall apart. Scopes I am thinking of are:

Leupold VX-1 4-12 X 40

Nikon Monarch 4-12 X 42

Redfield 4-12 X 42

Vortex 4-12 X 40

I know little about scopes, so any input is appreciated
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,331 Senior Member
    Budget is $ 450.00 tops, but could be a little more after the holidays
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,016 Senior Member
    I'd get the Redfield and pocket the change for ammo. Nothing wrong with a Redfield.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,576 Senior Member
    Since you mentioned the occasional woodchuck, but MAINLY paper punching, I'd go with this scope with a mildot reticle.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1320170431/nikon-prostaff-5-rifle-scope-45-18x-40mm-matte

I have the Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x (no longer listed :uhm: ) on my "field" AR

The 4.5 is plenty low enough for walking around use and I prefer 18-24x for a top end for shooting paper
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    How far are you looking to shoot?
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Jermanator wrote: »
    How far are you looking to shoot?
    We have one range in the area that has a 200 yard max distance, all others are 100 yards. The once or twice a year trip to family property would offer a shot up to 350 yards in the apple orchard.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Leupold or Nikon in that order IMO. Leupold has had a lifetime, no questions asked warranty since the dawn of time. I have both, my hunting rifles wear Leupolds and my rimfires and paper-punchers wear Nikons. Never had a problem with either brand.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I like side-focus Nikons.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,840 Senior Member
    You have a .mil email address, right? Vortex has a VERY generous mil/LE discount and you can probably get yourself a VERY good scope well within your budget.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    You have a .mil email address, right? Vortex has a VERY generous mil/LE discount and you can probably get yourself a VERY good scope well within your budget.

Yup, I sure do and will look into it THANKS
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Depends on what reticle type you would like also ... fine hair, mil-dot, BDC, etc. With SS3's little Vortex tidbit would put you nicely in the Viper HS range but I think they are typically BDC only.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,222 Senior Member
    I've had very good luck with Redfields....since they are owned & manufactured by Leupold, they carry the same warranty.
    I've got a 4-12 with an accurange reticle on one of my far-shooters....great piece of equipment...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • hawk18hawk18 Senior Member Posts: 742 Senior Member
    Out of curiosity, what twist did you buy? When I was shopping for a long, heavy bbl .223, I couldn't find a Rem. in a faster twist.

Hawk
    hawk18 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what twist did you buy? When I was shopping for a long, heavy bbl .223, I couldn't find a Rem. in a faster twist.

Hawk

If I am not mistaken it is 1:14
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,786 Senior Member
    Leupold or Nikon in that order IMO. Leupold has had a lifetime, no questions asked warranty since the dawn of time. I have both, my hunting rifles wear Leupolds and my rimfires and paper-punchers wear Nikons. Never had a problem with either brand.

Agree; got a Leupold Ventana 30-60x80 spotting scope as my 1st. purchase in this brand and couldn't be happier with performance/quality/price. Allows me to see .223 holes @ 220 yards in a rifle target without problems. The few scopes I've seen here of the same maker are crisp-clear and very nice regarding finish.

Same opinion about Nikon; most local shooters looking for quality scopes go for this brand, and a friend's spotting scope has the same performance as mine so there's another option. As long as I recall the B.P.S. in Dania has a nice exhibit of both brands to handle and see exactly what you need, and usually the online vendor www.opticsplanet.com has the best prices I've seen in the web.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    For mostly target work I'd kick it up a notch on magnification to at east 16x and SF. This is not a bush gun so the bottom end is not an issue.

Also shooting up to 300 yards mil-dot and other ranging reticles are not that much of an advantage with a .223. With target turrets a few clicks of the elevation current will get you to POA swiftly.

After looking through several scopes, I believe you are correct, a bit higher magnification is better
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member

That is the way I feel about it, except I mostly stick to Nikon because I spend a lot more time punching paper than hunting. Also, in Texas, if you are strolling around on what little public hunting land there is during deer season, you need your head examined. Deer and hog hunting is the biggest game hunting most folks will ever do, here, and since baiting is usually required to attract the does that attract the bucks onto whatever little patch of land you can afford to hunt, most of it is done from a blind.

That means gentler treatment for your hunting equipment, and Nikons are more than up to that, with optics that equal and sometimes surpass Leupold.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Since you are thinking more mag is okay and if you can have 6x as your basement magnification Leupold has a VX2 that is 6-18 with quite a few reticle choices and a good turret system. It is a 40mm AO setup not side focus but it works pretty easy. The price falls slightly over your $450 limit, maybe $500, but with Christmas specials and such if you watch I think you can do pretty close.

Since CPJ called out the Fine Plex I'll second that for what uses your said above, heavier rest les make finer alignment harder. The mil-dots and such have their places but paper at what is usually at known distances doesn't need a fancy reticle. Also (and I might get roasted for this) the BDC reticle's little circles never seemed to match the ammo/rifle for me. Mil-dot (I like the EBR style better) are great but going there has other purposes also along with added cost.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    THANK YOU SS3

Vortex has a most generous discount for: LE, Military active/retired/veteran

I believe I found my next scope.