Home Main Category General Firearms

Making .30-06 cases from 280Rem?

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,557 Senior Member
I ask because I want to make some nickel plated 280Rem cases into .30-06 for a buddy of mine if its doable. Any suggestions? I think nickel cases generally suck for resizing from what I've read. Is this accurate?
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Stretching the nickel case that far will cause the plating to crack, and probably scratch the chamber and/or damage your dies. I wouldn't use nickel plated cases at all, other than the fact someone GAVE me a couple of hundred of them in .22-250, and I use them in a rifle with a chamber tighter than SAAMI specification so I can segregate those cases from my other rifle's ammo in the same chambering.
    Jerry
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    How about brass 270Win cases? I have no real desire to load my nickel 280Rem cases. They are brand new, but I HATE sizing them. Sizing steel cases feels less detrimental to the dies. Anyhow...

I have some 270Win brass laying around and I have no 270. My buddy at work loves 200gr Nosler AccuBonds and his birthday is next week so I was going to load him 20 rounds of some .30-06 with the 200gr Nosler AccuBonds with my 2600fps H4350 load. It shoots great in his Remmy 700 and he is going up to a GA deer lease in a couple weeks.

I guess I can use the 30-06 brass I have, but it's all 3 or 4 times fired. I wanted to use some once fired or new brass to do it to prevent any chance of case neck fractures when he's hunting.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    .270 brass is .100" longer than .30-06, so you'll need to do some serious neck trimming sometime during the case conversion process. I have made a casehardened file trim die and trimmed my 6.5-06 cases that way, stopping a few thousandths above -06 minimum length and finishing them off with a rotary case trimmer. Then I bought an RCBS file trim die that's designed to do the same job, and mounted it in a Lee 3-hole turret. I expand the .270 brass to .264, then use the trim die to file the cases to the right length. It's probably possible to do something similar after necking up to .308 diameter, but I don't know if that die is available from RCBS. Try contacting Huntingdon in Oroville CA- - -that's where I got my 6.5-06 trim die.
    Jerry
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,140 Senior Member
    I believe .270 is based on the 30-03 round which is why they're longer.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Gene L wrote: »
    I believe .270 is based on the 30-03 round which is why they're longer.

It is.

And Jerry's plan sounds best, but I want to make these cases with tools on-hand. I'll just use my least loaded 06 cases for now. I'm on a 5 day time constraint.
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Stretching the nickel case that far will cause the plating to crack, and probably scratch the chamber and/or damage your dies. I wouldn't use nickel plated cases at all, other than the fact someone GAVE me a couple of hundred of them in .22-250, and I use them in a rifle with a chamber tighter than SAAMI specification so I can segregate those cases from my other rifle's ammo in the same chambering.
    Jerry

Ditto! Nickel plated cases are purty, but they suck. They usually crack at the mouth of the case. Good old 100% brass . . . you can't beat.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,871 Senior Member
    Doesn't the 280 have its shoulder farther forward as well? Sounds like a lot of re-sizing and PITA just to help a buddy out for something so common. Maybe have him get a few boxes of cheap ammo to go pop off at the range and give you the brass?
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Brass headed your way in today's mail!
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    Brass headed your way in today's mail!
    Jerry

Gracias!