Home Main Category Clubhouse

My retirement is over

FreezerFreezer Senior MemberPosts: 1,756 Senior Member
When I moved from Ca. to Pa. I thought I had retired. My wife is a teacher with a master's degree and I thought she'd be working. Well to transfer her credentials it will cost us $750 to $1000. She can't take the last test until mid November. I can live on what I bring home but not put anything away or remodel this house. So much for retirement. I'm a stationary engineer and will start a new job today.

I owe, I owe so off to work I go!
I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:

Replies

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    There are worse things than having to work.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member
    We have a lot of stationary engineers where I work. Get a cup of coffee in front of them and try to get one to move.

PA has one of the hardest teachers certs in the country. If you get a cert here, you can teach in almost every state (47 iirc). Its one of the reasons the state schools like IUP and Slippery Rock have a really large teacher curriculum.

Seriously, what do you work on? Compressors? Steam?
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,715 Senior Member
    Good luck, it will work out.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,952 Senior Member
    Good luck.

I was retired for nearly two years and went back to work. What I make now is a lot more than what I was drawing from SS.

And what is a Stationary Engineer?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • softwarejanitorsoftwarejanitor Member Posts: 241 Member
    Don't feel bad... those of us who are under 55 will probably never be able to retire. Since there won't be any Social Security for us and most of our 401ks, pensions, etc. are underwater I figure I'm just going to have to work until I die. As long as I can keep working in software development I can live with that I guess. I'm not qualified to do anything else really, at least not anything that pays similarly.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Good luck.

And what is a Stationary Engineer?

I was kinda wondering that myself. I can't picture someone getting a degree in designing notepads.:tooth:
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    One that works in a building controlling the power plant or boilers etc.....versus one doing the same on a ship.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,756 Senior Member
    Dan, I have plenty of work to do on the house I'm remodeling and living in. I wasn't not going to get work here. There are a lot of poor old folks out here. I had hoped to start a volunteer maintenance crew for our church and then morph it into a group that would aid the poor and widowed in the community by putting plastic on windows for winter, changing light bulbs and repairing sinks and toilets, etc. Those plans will have to wait.

CJP, I'm happy to be here in a small country town. The fishing is off the hook, hunting is everywhere and I have family around me. I will have 55k in this house when I'm done, in the bad neighborhood I lived in in the SF Bay area it would be worth 400k. I could have never been able to retire out there nor did I ever want too. I'll put up with winter!

I'm the Jack of All Trades and the Master of one, Baiting. I'm a Master Baiter :cool:

I repair commercial buildings, boilers, pumps, generators, HVAC, electrical, plumbing, locksmith, carpentry, painting, if it breaks I fix it and do my best to keep it from breaking down through preventive maintenance. I took a job at a halfway house 1/2 hour from my house. There are more opportunities in Pittsburgh and better pay but I don't want to drive and hour to an hour and a half each way every day and be on call. There's no traffic between here and there even at 4pm. They met my salary demands and I have full salaried benefits. I'm the supervisor and make my own hours. The place is a rat hole right now but I can repair this place. I will develop a maintenance system, inventory control and janitorial maintenance system.

The building is mine and will be a challenge but I'm up for it. In less than a year I hope to have this place on auto pilot. I have a five year plan but after my wife goes back the money this will be gravy. After she's established if this job doesn't work out or maybe even if it does I can move on and pursue my maintenance crew dream.

Want to make God laugh?
    Tell Him what your going to do tomorrow!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    In FLA different school boards have different requirements and pay scales by the counties, you wouldn't think they would vary that much, but they do. My oldest daughter is a HS teacher and had to jump through a few hoops to get qualified/certified when she moved to another county.

They sure don't pay teachers enough. She has a masters degree and teaches AP classes where she is now.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,636 Senior Member
    Freezer wrote: »
    Dan, I have plenty of work to do on the house I'm remodeling and living in. I wasn't not going to get work here. There are a lot of poor old folks out here. I had hoped to start a volunteer maintenance crew for our church and then morph it into a group that would aid the poor and widowed in the community by putting plastic on windows for winter, changing light bulbs and repairing sinks and toilets, etc. Those plans will have to wait.

CJP, I'm happy to be here in a small country town. The fishing is off the hook, hunting is everywhere and I have family around me. I will have 55k in this house when I'm done, in the bad neighborhood I lived in in the SF Bay area it would be worth 400k. I could have never been able to retire out there nor did I ever want too. I'll put up with winter!

I'm the Jack of All Trades and the Master of one, Baiting. I'm a Master Baiter :cool:

I repair commercial buildings, boilers, pumps, generators, HVAC, electrical, plumbing, locksmith, carpentry, painting, if it breaks I fix it and do my best to keep it from breaking down through preventive maintenance. I took a job at a halfway house 1/2 hour from my house. There are more opportunities in Pittsburgh and better pay but I don't want to drive and hour to an hour and a half each way every day and be on call. There's no traffic between here and there even at 4pm. They met my salary demands and I have full salaried benefits. I'm the supervisor and make my own hours. The place is a rat hole right now but I can repair this place. I will develop a maintenance system, inventory control and janitorial maintenance system.

The building is mine and will be a challenge but I'm up for it. In less than a year I hope to have this place on auto pilot. I have a five year plan but after my wife goes back the money this will be gravy. After she's established if this job doesn't work out or maybe even if it does I can move on and pursue my maintenance crew dream.

Want to make God laugh?
    Tell Him what your going to do tomorrow!

If you can work on all the stuff you listed, you should have no problem keeping busy, getting paid a reasonable wage too.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    pjames777 wrote: »
    One that works in a building controlling the power plant or boilers etc.....versus one doing the same on a ship.
    That sounds like what I retired as, only we were called Enviormental control Technician. Now it's HVAC-R. I could sit at home and control 38 buildings by computer.The university I worked at took the Electricians,carpenters,plumbers and others into groups and gave each group so any buildings. They had to do any task in those building but had to set the HVAC-R into a seperate unit. We also had a seperate boiler plant across town and piped the steam in tunnels to each building. Each building also had their own boiler in case something happened to the steam lines to the buildings.
    I also retired from a company building coal mine equipments and the KY.Army national guard. I was READY to retire when I did.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,756 Senior Member
    The pay in this area isn't great but I'm making more than the average. When I realized my wife wasn't going to bring in the money we needed I looked for a job for two weeks before I accepted this one. The place is trashed but I'm up to the challenge. Nothing has been organized or computerized which means I will have to set up everything from scratch. It will keep me interested for at least the first year then I'll have the place on auto pilot. At this point I plan to work for five years but that could change after my wife gets a full time job. This will hamper my hunting and fishing.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,856 Senior Member
    Good luck!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain