Home Main Category General Firearms

Lorcin firearms,,,,ever own one?

robert38-55robert38-55 Senior MemberPosts: 3,621 Senior Member
Teach used a term on a thread here, and I didn't know what it meant so I looked it up on the net. One thing I found out about the term LORCIN:

http://guns.wikia.com/wiki/Lorcin_Engineering_Company
"It is what it is":usa:

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Lower on the Totem Pole than a Taurus by a few notches. Never owned one and don't want to. Pot metal junk which may work a few times or not.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    I owned a Phoenix Arms .25 ACP for a brief time. It actually shot good and they offered different bbls to buy. I let one of my brothers shoot it on a range and refused to take it back, though.

He was trying to get his wife interested in something she would shoot and carry if all else failed.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I have shot a Jennings, I think it is a later model Lorcin. It was still a huge turd, a shiny turd.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,022 Senior Member
    The one pistol that makes a Taurus look good!!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    A guy who was doing some remodeling work on my house traded me a Lorcin 9MM for an 18 volt cordless drill I had. Bad move- - - -the thing was heavy and clunky, with a lot of recoil from the ridiculously heavy pot metal slide. The slide had to be heavy to handle a 9MM cartridge with a straight blowback operation. It would fire a full magazine without a problem, then stovepipe the last round- - - -consistently! Later I learned that most Lorcins wouldn't go a full mag without jamming, so I must have gotten one of the good ones! Later, I gave it away to a fellow teacher who wanted a nightstand gun after some break-ins and assaults in her neighborhood. I haven't missed it yet!
    Jerry
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I had a Davis or Lorcin .25 acp pistol I got in a package deal of guns, it was free, all in all, parts, spare magazines, etc, it cost me more in the long run, it was reliable, however, the trade offs were unacceptable considering the relatively high cost of .25 acp ammo !!

I gave it to an elderly long time friend with a few boxes of ammo.

I could be wrong but *I did not see much difference between Ravens, Lorcins and the low cost .22 LR pistols by better brand names like
    Iver Johnson for example.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,307 Senior Member
    Wife had a .380 Lorcin when we met. Couldn't make it through a magazine without jamming. We still have it today, it resides in a box in the bottom of the safe and has not seen daylight for some time.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,464 Senior Member
    You know that recent thread "Great Design/Bad Execution" that was recently launched? If you start with the basic world-beating concept of the Browning/FN Model 1910, hand the blueprint to an elementary school student, and tell him to whittle you all the parts out of a block of hard cheese, you would end up with a Lorcin/Jennings/Davis/Raven.

I was always puzzled when the anti gunners flapped their gums about banning these because they were "the weapon of choice for the criminal element". Why is that a problem? Would you prefer criminals to carry guns that WORK?:uhm:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I was going to shoot one, one time, to appease my BIL, but he shot it first, and broke it. Anyway, we had already determined that it was a single shot semi-auto, due to the dead magazine spring. He had been carrying it in his pickup for years, for protection. I will admit, though, that the one shot it fired was in the ballpark. It might have been a Jennings, but I make no distinction. :tooth:
    Lots of those pistols had really poor magazines, the pistols having poor quality control were not much better.
    The Beretta pistols in .22 LR and .25 acp were much better, esp the tip up barrel models...
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,196 Senior Member
    The very best thing you can do for the world when you encounter one of these turds is to take a BFH to it....applies to High Points as well....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Speaking of poor quality, I got another gun in a mulitiple trade deal, also free, it was a German revolver, .22 LR, single action cowboy type model, I liked how it looked, however, the barrel was loose ! bad threads, so I fixed it with thread and locktite and gave it to a bloke as a wall hanger also telling him how it was repaired so he wouldn't shoot it !

BTW I had test fired it with a box of ammo and the repair held, I just did not trust it.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    The very best thing you can do for the world when you encounter one of these turds is to take a BFH to it....applies to High Points as well....

....Agreed Jayhawker.. I once owned a Davis .25acp and a raven.25acp. Both guns quit working at different times. Trying to find a gunsmith to repair them was as rare as hens teeth. I finally located a LGS, back in the day that agreed to take both of them in on a trade and some money out of pocket. Seems like a fore gone conclusion that High Point, Taurus, Jennings, Star Lorcin, Davis, Raven, isn't too popular here on the G & A board.

PS> I forgot where does the old WWII French made sho-sho,machine gun, (not clear on the spelling) fit in here?
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Better add Rohm ("RG") to that "do not buy" list. I bought these two from the junk bin at an LGS I used to do a lot of business with- - - -both for $50.00. The Rohm was in .38 Special, and did a fairly good job of going bang every time, as long as I fired it single action. Double action- - - - -the cylinder timing was horrible, and totally unpredictable!

Junkyard_dawgs_003.jpg

Jerry
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Lower on the Totem Pole than a Taurus by a few notches. Never owned one and don't want to. Pot metal junk which may work a few times or not.

They are not even on the totem pole ... more like scrotum pole.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    ....PS> I forgot where does the old WWII French made sho-sho,machine gun, (not clear on the spelling) fit in here?

Chauchat....WW I....at least the thing has some historical precedent.... at this stage of the game one of those might actually be worth something
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    I have a Jimenez .380, which is the latest version of the ring of fire companies. It actually worked well for about 500 rounds and was pretty accurate. Started jamming and haven't shot it in a couple yrs. I will say the customer service was pretty good. I lost a couple parts that flew away first time I took it apart. They replaced them quickly no questions asked.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    Back in the early 80's, I traded a 5" long tip, from a elephant tusk, a scrap in my tool box from my pool cue inlay job, to a guy at a gun show, for a NIB Loicin .25cal. Never shot it. Gave it to my BIL, who was driving a 18-wheeler. Someone stole it out of his truck........which was probably a good thing. No paper work...no worries.
    I read that their security was so lax, that dozens of their guns walked out the back door, every year. LAPD picked up one, at a crime scene, that had never "left the factory".....according to the records.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,354 Senior Member
    I had a Davis .380 back when I was a teenager, and later traded it off. It was ok, decently accurate and never jammed.

I still have a Jennings J-22 laying around somewhere that slamfired on me. I still have it because I don't want anyone else to end up with that hunk of junk
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Old man had a RG .22 revolver with about a 1" bbl that you had to remove the cylinder to load. It was uncanny in how accurate it was and I put hundreds of rounds through it. Think it was from the 60s, I dunno. Not the usual case with RGs, though.

I remember some cheaper .38 Spls called Sierras or something in the Rod n Gun Clubs in Germany that seemed to work OK, but don't know how they lasted in the long term.

Two of the ugliest ones I ever saw for sale there was an Arminius in .22 Mag and a dual caliber .357/9mm called a Barracuda or something.

I heard those Arminius were actually good shooters and well made.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,865 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Chauchat....WW I....at least the thing has some historical precedent.... at this stage of the game one of those might actually be worth something

IIRC when the US entered the war we were totally unprepared for it. We didn't have enough equipment or men. The French gladly gave us their machine gun which turned out to be the biggest folly ever forced on an infantrymen. It's magazine was a top loading affair and the sides were open so the operator could see how many rounds were in it. You can only imagine what happened in the wet muddy trenches.

I've handled a few Ravens and I can't say I ever found one worth fixing. I used to tinker with friends and acquaintance's guns. I saw more than a few I wouldn't repair and made sure nobody else could either. I can't say I had too much respect for a few abused Ivers Johnson revolvers I saw.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,091 Senior Member
    Freezer wrote: »
    I I can't say I had too much respect for a few abused Iver Johnson revolvers I saw.

Most of them are broken, although Nephew has one that still "clicks"; he hasn't tried firing it and probably won't.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Had a Lorcin in .25...JUNK!
    Had a Davis .32 ...JUNK!

Heck, I bought them when I was younger and my goal was to get as many guns for my safe while they were easy to get.

Both have since found new homes.

Matt
    Support your local Scouts!
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,784 Senior Member
    Those sold like just baked bread here; unfortunately most of the owners were cops looking for a cheap private handgun for private security jobs in their own time, and needless to say, not a few malfunction accidents in the worst possible moment resulted in lost lives and injuries. Eventually when .380 Makarovs (Baikal IZH-71s) arrived a few years later, most of those pieces of junk ended up in the black market and nowadays most are captured from criminals.

Knew a guy who owned one of those in .22LR (Or was it in .25ACP?) that knowing it was a piece of turd, somehow turned it into full-auto! He used the "hottest" ammo he could find (Usually CCI Stingers or Aguila Hipermaximum) and it went through a magazine in a high rate of fire without failing; he even managed to somehow improvise a reliable higher-capacity magazine, and as far as I know he still carries it around.
  • ShootrShootr New Member Posts: 25 New Member
    Wow the Taurus haters come out of the woodwork on this board a LOT. Putting them anywhere near a ring of fire pistol is just silly. Some Taurus models have been junk for sure. But all those ring of fire guns were junk. I bought one way back when I was a broke college kid and found myself in places I needed a little protection sometimes. I wouldn't have counted on it to fire more than once though and even that was iffy. I have a Taurus that has 5000 rounds through it without a single hiccup and it's extremely accurate at 20 yards too. Actually my Raven .25 was accurate as heck for a while. When it worked. I can't remember the last time I got through a whole mag without fixing 2-3 jams. I've had that thing for a bunch of years now. I bought in about 1977 I think. It's nothing more than a paperweight now. I don't think I've bought ammo for it in about 20 years.

JeSuisCharlie
    Shootr wrote: »
    Wow the Taurus haters come out of the woodwork on this board a LOT. Putting them anywhere near a ring of fire pistol is just silly. Some Taurus models have been junk for sure. But all those ring of fire guns were junk. I bought one way back when I was a broke college kid and found myself in places I needed a little protection sometimes. I wouldn't have counted on it to fire more than once though and even that was iffy. I have a Taurus that has 5000 rounds through it without a single hiccup and it's extremely accurate at 20 yards too. Actually my Raven .25 was accurate as heck for a while. When it worked. I can't remember the last time I got through a whole mag without fixing 2-3 jams. I've had that thing for a bunch of years now. I bought in about 1977 I think. It's nothing more than a paperweight now. I don't think I've bought ammo for it in about 20 years.

We may overdo it a little on Taurus bashing, but they just keep confirming that they are not committed to quality and service, despite their claims to the contrary.

Most of the folks who post up here are committed to supporting manufacturers who have established a reputation for producing quality firearms, and standing behind them, over a long period of time. When they turn out a loser, which seems to happen to every manufacturer from time to time, that particular model usually gets bashed, too.

Taurus does not get that 'benefit of the doubt,' like Springfield or S&W, or Remington, etc., because after decades of selling guns in the American market, they have never stopped having quality control issues. In fact, if I remember correctly, they have just settled another lawsuit for well over a million dollars that accused them of knowingly selling defective firearms that caused injuries. Granted that some of their products are better than others, but nobody who has extensive knowledge about guns is likely to recommend their products to an unsuspecting newbie, knowing that they still turn out quite a few 'dogs.'

Personally, just knowing that they have been selling too many crappy guns, for decades, despite their so-called lifetime warranty (that is also 'hit or miss'), I don't even try to keep up with their product line, and never will unless they clean up their act and can prove it over several years.
    bisley wrote: »
    In fact, if I remember correctly, they have just settled another lawsuit for well over a million dollars that accused them of knowingly selling defective firearms that caused injuries.p up with their product line, and never will unless they clean up their act and can prove it over several years.

Yeah... 39 Million dollars.

I have owned various Tauri over the years....one or two have functioned flawlessly...others...not so much.
    One or two products that they manage to make that actually work does little to make up for the huge amount of crap they have turned out over the years that don't or that spend an inordinate amount of time in the "we'll fix it" cycle...

On the overall scale, I'd rather have a Taurus than a High Point, but if I ever get to the point that those are the only choices I have...I'll start carrying a big knife....
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    In my family there are three PT24/7s, two .45s and one .40. No major problems with them, but none of them. MOST of the time they run pretty well. That said my .45 has been removed from the carry roster. I just don't trust it 100%.

So basically 60% of the time it works every time.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    A few of you even have first hand knowledge of a sample of one. That's impressive, in a sea of "Well, I've never even seen one before, but I know all about them."
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
    toymachine wrote: »
    A few of you even have first hand knowledge of a sample of one. That's impressive, in a sea of "Well, I've never even seen one before, but I know all about them."

I can identify a turd without taking a bite of it.