Home Main Category Hunting

Almost ready to go

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,429 Senior Member
Saturday is the big day, if it doesn't rain too much. 40% chance of rain for Friday, but I'm hoping whatever is going to blow through does so by Saturday morning. I bought me a portable blind and will take it out probably Wednesday and set it up. Then I will also get my Son in Law to go with me and feed all the feeders one more time. Also, I just got all my loading done this past week and I need to run to the range one more time. But other than that I'm ready to roll. I've decided on either the Rem. 700 SPS 30-06 or my old 1966 Model 70 Win. .270. It has let me down fewer than anything I have. It specializes in DRT Kills.

So, a hunting we will go!!!
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Rain is sometimes a good time to hunt.
    Good luck.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Good luck!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Red HorseRed Horse Member Posts: 96 Member
    Good Luck Snake. Given some of the expert commentary on this board, I can't believe you would risk anything as important as a hunt on a sub-calibre mouse gun like a .270. (or at least admitting to it publicly). BTW, I hope you kill a bunch to prove the doubters wrong.
    zu Gleich

"Better is the enemy of Good"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    The only thing that bothers me about the rain is getting stuck. It's pretty soft out there.
    I may have to rig me up a game cart like Zee. I have an old pull golf cart that I could fix up.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Red Horse wrote: »
    Good Luck Snake. Given some of the expert commentary on this board, I can't believe you would risk anything as important as a hunt on a sub-calibre mouse gun like a .270. (or at least admitting to it publicly). BTW, I hope you kill a bunch to prove the doubters wrong.

It's ok, we have very anemic deer here.___:roll2:___:roll2:___:roll2:
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,134 Senior Member
    Good Luck Snake
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    Good Luck, will be looking forward to a successful report!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,123 Senior Member
    Can't seem to get the weather here
    We can't either Ned. So far this year it sucks. It's still in the 80s in the day and isn't getting down below about 58 or 59 at night and the rain just keeps coming.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Good luck Snake, I watched the news last night and saw a guy from Texas floating down the countryside in his car! Then when the car finally sunk, he climbed 20 ft. up a tree before rescuers got to him....Wow! Better pull a boat behind that golfcart.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,032 Senior Member
    Snake , if I ever get back in your neck of the woods, we'll have to plan a hunt, we could invite others, but only if they have a .270 .

Good luck, shoot straight , be safe.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Snake , if I ever get back in your neck of the woods, we'll have to plan a hunt, we could invite others, but only if they have a .270 .

Good luck, shoot straight , be safe.

JAY

Thanks Jay, that's a deal, and for all those that simply won't tote a .270, I say their loss, our gain,

:tooth:_____:tooth:_____:tooth:
    Well went out to the lease and set up my portable blind and put corn in the feeders. However, I forgot to bring some batteries for the feeders. But never fear, one sack of corn I had had gotten wet so we poured it out around the feeder on the ground. I also had a gallon bottle of Deer Caine that I poured on top of the corn I had poured on the ground. I'll take the new batteries and the corn out and after I hunt in the morning I'll replace the batteries and top off the corn in the feeders.

Anyway, if I can wake up on time, A hunting we will go.
    Well, I didn't wake up. So here I am in front of my computer on opening morning when the deer are at their stupidest.

There's a cold front coming that I thought would have already blown through by now. It should be here at any minute as it is already hitting Houston. When it blows through I'll go. It was really too hot to be deer hunting.
    OK, this is more like it. The temperature has dropped 5 degrees in the last hour and the wind is solidly out of the north. I think I'll go out about noon.
  • drwalker47drwalker47 Member Posts: 192 Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    OK, this is more like it. The temperature has dropped 5 degrees in the last hour and the wind is solidly out of the north. I think I'll go out about noon.

Hey Snake!

How was your hunt?
    Celebrate life, moment by moment. I plan to enjoy what time I have left, and that means MORE GUNS!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »

Does that mean temps in the low 60s? :jester:

Hope you had (or are having) a good hunt.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.