Home Main Category General Firearms

Lorcin firearms,,,,ever own one?

2»

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,133 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Old man had a RG .22 revolver with about a 1" bbl that you had to remove the cylinder to load. It was uncanny in how accurate it was and I put hundreds of rounds through it. Think it was from the 60s, I dunno. Not the usual case with RGs, though.

I remember some cheaper .38 Spls called Sierras or something in the Rod n Gun Clubs in Germany that seemed to work OK, but don't know how they lasted in the long term.

Two of the ugliest ones I ever saw for sale there was an Arminius in .22 Mag and a dual caliber .357/9mm called a Barracuda or something.

I heard those Arminius were actually good shooters and well made.
    My very first gun purchased in 1978 was a Arminus .357 mag. It shot well in my novice hands. Only problem was one of the grips kept coming loose. Sold it to an Army buddy before going to Korea in 81.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I can identify a turd without taking a bite of it.

You'd think so, but iirc Starbuck's made pretty good money selling coffee made from cat turds.

Anyhoo, here's my Lorcin, not as nice as my Glock or my Walther, but as detailed in the other thread, more reliable than my SCCY. The grip's a bit chunky, but the slide is much more svelt than the few Hi Points I've handled.
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,085 Senior Member
    toymachine wrote: »
    You'd think so, but iirc Starbuck's made pretty good money selling coffee made from cat turds.

Anyhoo, here's my Lorcin, not as nice as my Glock or my Walther, but as detailed in the other thread, more reliable than my SCCY. The grip's a bit chunky, but the slide is much more svelt than the few Hi Points I've handled.

Something has happened here that I don't recall happening....ever...Someone is defending a Lorcin....This is historical!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Something has happened here that I don't recall happening....ever...Someone is defending a Lorcin....This is historical!

I figure, if youz guyz are gonna waste time trashing a firearms company that's been out of business for a decade and a half, I'll waste time pointing out that my example ain't that bad. There are current production piles that are more deserving of your time, like self-firing Tauri and Rem 700s, and self-disassembling SCCYs, etc.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member

Maybe he has been indulging in the Likker in the pic with his Lorcin?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Maybe he has been indulging in the Likker in the pic with his Lorcin?

Nah, that's mostly decorative. The house I'm renting has a bar in the basement, having no liquor in a bar totally messes up the feng shui.
    I figure, if youz guyz are gonna waste time trashing a firearms company that's been out of business for a decade and a half, I'll waste time pointing out that my example ain't that bad.

Point of Order: No one is trashing the company....they are trashing the junk pistols the company left behind....
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    I have a SCCY and it's been nothing short of perfect for over 2 yrs. Never a failure of any sort, never "self-disassembed", never a single problem. Is it an older one? Perhaps you should contact them, they have a lifetime warranty.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    This country could surely use some affordable workingman's type handguns again. Like the S&W model 10s for a fair price and High Standards/H&Rs with a fairly good expectation of some quality. Just think how expensive a halfway decent .22 or .38 Spl revolver is these days.

Real shame and a lot of would be shooters/families are missing out and probably close as you can get would be a .22 rifle like a Marlin model 60 or Ruger 10/22, IF they can find any .22 ammo, which is another story altogether.

Prices are edging upwards fast on model 10s, I saw one decent looking one fer $300 I'm pondering. Most are more and some look like they lived in a tackle/tool box.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    You can have it good or you can have it cheap, not both.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    You can have it good or you can have it cheap, not both.

I would like to see affordable, not cheap in price or cheaply made. Seems there is niche in the market for that type firearm, especially in handguns that just hasn't been filled lately.

Gun control scares/makers dropping models/labor/collectors willing to pay exorbitant asking prices and lawyering up are a few reasons.
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    I have a SCCY and it's been nothing short of perfect for over 2 yrs. Never a failure of any sort, never "self-disassembed", never a single problem. Is it an older one? Perhaps you should contact them, they have a lifetime warranty.

Check out the SCCY forum. Seems to be a common issue to have the pins holding the frame into the grip walk out and cause function issues. Personally, mine's failed to drop the hammer with the trigger all the way back, twice in about fifty rounds. Their warranty department has a reputation for having a revolving door. Sounds like you got a good SCCY, just like I got a good Lorcin. Hell, either one's fine for a range toy, I wouldn't dream of carrying either one for personal protection.
    This country could surely use some affordable workingman's type handguns again.

The issue is "What's affordable?" I remember when you could buy a Winchester Model 21 "Grand American" new for $500.00, but then 500 bucks was a serious amount of money for the average family....
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Point of Order: No one is trashing the company....they are trashing the junk pistols the company left behind....

:that::agree:
    "It is what it is":usa:
    That's an interesting distinction to make. "Taurus is a great company. They just make crap products."
    Trashing the company (at this juncture) is pointless....as you pointed out, they have been out of business for quite some time...the only thing left to trash is their leavings....

Taurus (on the other hand) is actually doing quite well as a business (if you ignore the 39 million dollar class action suit), in spite of the fact that they produce a less than superior product.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,294 Senior Member
    Since we are sharing pictures...

Here is my Jennings J-22 in it's natural state

DSC_0215.jpg
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member

If I were willing to pay five bucks for a cup of coffee, it would have to have exotic ingredients of some kind. :jester:
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Since we are sharing pictures...

Here is my Jennings J-22 in it's natural state

DSC_0215.jpg

Oh, at first I though you put an extended match grade bbl on it, then realized the slide was jammed on a .22 casing :yikes: :yikes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
  • ShootrShootr New Member Posts: 25 New Member
    Taurus does not get that 'benefit of the doubt,' like Springfield or S&W, or Remington

Hey I was exactly like you at one point. I still am really even though I've seen a few S&W pieces that weren't exactly top notch either. They didn't sink to the level some Taurus models have though.

But I was talked into trying a Taurus PT-145 Gen. III and it has been nothing but spectacular. No problems whatsoever and I've run over 5000 rounds through it. It's very accurate and very ergonomic. But I still hesitated for a week even when the gun shop owner offered me a 30 day return deal no questions asked if I had any concerns at all. I figured I had nothing to lose so I took it out the door. I was impressed from the start. The thing is just crazy accurate. My friend set up 3 empty .45 shells 2 at 20 yards and the other at 25 yards. I nailed the ones at 20 yards first shot. And it wasn't a matter of air moving them either. I knocked them completely out of sight. I missed the one at 25 yards by about half an inch. A gun that accurate and that reliable is not junk. And yes it was one that was covered in the lawsuit. The issue is about them firing when dropped even when the safety is on. I guess I just know better than to drop a gun because I haven't had any problems. I used that pistol as my CCW gun for about 5 years. I still have it under my chair where I watch TV. I have since started carrying a SA XDm .40 because of the added capacity. I keep it in the truck anyway. If I actually want to carry concealed I generally carry a Ruger LCP because of the small size. Now there's a pistol I'm not that crazy about. Which is why I bought myself another, smaller Taurus to start carrying concealed. It's a PT-111 G2 which is not part of the lawsuit and apparently doesn't have the same issues. I really like it too but I haven't shot it enough to be convinced it's a good gun for that role.

I've seen the old Taurus stuff that was totally unsafe to fire under any conditions. I did a week of research before I bought that PT-145. Every actual owner review I saw of it was positive. Mine is too. It's a good pistol. I will be sure not to drop it but the accuracy and reliability alone make it a decent gun. Lots of older guns we all thought were great would fire if you dropped them.
    JeSuisCharlie
    Interesting...the one Taurus pistol I owned that was trouble free was also a PT-145..an early one...I honestly tried to wear that thing out and shot it.....a lot. 100 rounds a week for a couple of years....ran without a hiccup. I ended up passing it along to a friend-in-need..Very little in their inventory interests me nowadays. Some of their stuff is innovative enough that they've been copied...the Judge for instance-( couldn't believe it when S&W came out with their own version..) (Note: I'm not personally a fan of the concept)...and then waaaayyy out there on the edge is "the Curve"... sounds like a sex toy...
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Shootr wrote: »
    ...I've seen a few S&W pieces that weren't exactly top notch either. They didn't sink to the level some Taurus models have though.

That's my point, basically. I love my S&W revolvers, but they have put out a few dogs, here and there, like the Sigma, which was not bad as a Glock clone, except for a really horrible trigger, once they complied with the Glock lawsuit. They spun the M&P off from that design and improved it, though many still have crappy triggers, and the Shield is a decent pistol if you can get the trigger to work like you want it to.

Remington is re-releasing their R-51, which had all kinds of problems a couple years ago, without any explanation of what was wrong with it or whether they have cured it. Either they fixed it, or they intend to go down the Taurus road - time will tell.

I've fired one Taurus semi-auto, maybe the one you have, that I was impressed with, as far as the accuracy and ergonomics. It had a gritty, spongy, clunky trigger that worked every time and I adjusted to it quickly, but I wasn't convinced that it would continue to. The guy bought it cheap, and he loved it, so I didn't criticize it, but I'm a long way from actually buying one, unless it's a heck of a deal.

When I see competition shooters winning with them, I may change my mind.
  • ShootrShootr New Member Posts: 25 New Member
    I'm a long way from actually buying one, unless it's a heck of a deal.

When I see competition shooters winning with them, I may change my mind.

That's just it. They have a lot of really good deals on those Taurus pistols. The G2 for example was sold for $200 recently and they have no reported faults of any kind. Again my PT-145 is "very" accurate but it isn't going to win competitions because it isn't made to shoot the distances most competitions require. At 20 yards the one I have might well have a chance. At 50 yards it is not going to compete with my Sig P220. And it sure won't compete with my S&W 629 at 150 yards. They aren't built as competition type weapons and that does matter. As well as my Sig shoots it isn't a world beater. You need a pistol with very tight tolerances to win competitions. But those kinds of pistols don't function as well. Sig has a very good compromise but it won't compete with a dedicated 1991 target pistol. It just won't.

But I wouldn't be here saying my Taurus was great if I didn't think it was. It just works. Yes the trigger pull is long and heavy but it's a CCW gun, not a target pistol. You don't want it to go off that easy. You just want it to work when the time comes and pulling the trigger a little further isn't likely to be a huge problem in a shooting incident. Maybe but not likely. I know that I changed the sights on my PT-145 going with fiber optic sights for great low light performance. For practically no light situations I can turn on the laser I mounted on it. It's very small and very accurate. I managed to alter a CrossDraw holster to work with that laser too. I can draw and fire that pistol in under 2 seconds and because of the recoil characteristics I can fire an entire mag (10+1) and put every round in a paper plate at 25 yards. I know it isn't a competition grade pistol. I know it is going to work though. At least it has the first several thousand times I've tried it. Those things are important. I can aim it in many light conditions. I can fire it quickly when needed. I carry a couple of extra mags giving me a lot of firepower too. All those things working together makes for a very good CCW pistol.
    JeSuisCharlie
    We don't see many Taurus Testimonials (Positive) on here. I'm glad yours is working out for you.
  • ArmoredmanArmoredman Member Posts: 362 Member
    Accidentally once - it was a gift. Re-gifted that as fast as I could.