Home Main Category Hunting

Missouri Hunter kills a buck with an atlatl....

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 18,116 Senior Member
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    That is freaking cool. Beautiful buck too.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,125 Senior Member
    He could be a real survivalist, hey.

I wonder if that way of hunting would be legal in all states?
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,041 Senior Member
    I knew a guide that had a client that hunted with a throwing knife. Said it was the damnedest thing he ever saw- this guy taking down a ram at 30 yards with a huge knife
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Impressive - VERY impressive in the skill required, the planning to make it happen AND the buck he pulled in.

Most important question: did he use the flaming version?

http://www.thunderbirdatlatl.com/2013/12/22/throwing-a-flaming-atlatl-dart-for-winter-solstice/
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,116 Senior Member
    I find the fact that he used a obsidian point extremely cool....I've got a few stone scrapers, spear points and arrowheads I've collected over the years...in-spte of being a couple of thousand years old...they are impossibly sharp...

However, I guess if a guy is going to go to all the trouble of hunting with an atlatl, knapping your own points would just be part of it...
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,138 Senior Member
    Last month while in El Paso, we went out to a Native American event at Hueco Tanks and I got to throw a spear using a atlatl.
    It looks amazingly easy, but I threw the spear more like a little girl than a hunter. That deer is truly a great accomplishment.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,982 Senior Member
    Wow - that's impressive indeed. I had to lookup what in tarnation an atlatl even was - that's an awesome skill!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I wonder if the Atlatl is covered under the 2nd Amendment?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    Pretty cool....not sure if you have seen this or not but, Jerod Allen (the NFL star) nailed a nice Elk a few years back. Here is the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfmOzW1KEKA
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    I thinks it's very cool, but requires a little more 'primitive culture' fanaticism than I've ever been able to muster. If everybody's wives found out that their husbands could kill game animals with a spear, it would be very hard to 'justify' a different rifle and scope for every critter in the woods. :tooth:
    This is cool and all and I'm sure Jared is probably for the 2A seeing he hunts, but to me when I see people killing game with other than firearms it gives the antis an out saying you don't need guns to hunt. Hunting is a key factor in the fight to Keep and bear arms.

And after they outlaw firearms they'll outlaw spears and bows as well. Their plan is to disarm the masses.

This is the reason I kill game with firearms exclusively. I love Uncle Ted because even though he bow hunts, he still uses Firearms too and when he's on TV he demonstrates this and his believe in the 2A.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    cpj wrote: »
    You're nuttier than squirrel turds. You know that right?

This.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    The Right to Keep and Bear Arms has absolutely nothing to do with hunting....never has, never will... something no gun owner should ever be confused about...
    The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed...particularly when the people want to go duck hunting......
    !
    cpj wrote: »
    You're nuttier than squirrel turds. You know that right?
    Yeah? You're nuttier than a Hot turd fresh out of a bear that just ate a case of almond joys and two gallon cans of Planter's Mixed Nuts!!! Now that there's Nutty I don't care who ya are!!!
    snake284 wrote: »
    !
    Yeah? You're nuttier than a Hot turd fresh out of a bear that just ate a case of almond joys and two gallon cans of Planter's Mixed Nuts!!! Now that there's Nutty I don't care who ya are!!!

It almost like third grade.

I know you are but what am I? I'm rubber you're glue, what you say bounces off of me and sticks to you!
    Dad 5-31-13
    now that it's past time for the kids to go to bed...can we get back to talking about killing stuff with spears?
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    now that it's past time for the kids to go to bed...can we get back to talking about killing stuff with spears?

I killed a possum with a crow bar. I didn't stab it though. A couple of the guys that saw me do it turned the prettiest shade of green. You would think they had never seen and animal get beat to death.
    Dad 5-31-13