Home Main Category Hunting

Pump Shotguns - Which One

twatwa Senior MemberPosts: 2,245 Senior Member
My brother in law is wanting to buy an new shotgun for my nephew for X-mas. My question to the forum is which one from the two....Remington 870 or Benelli Super Nova?

Replies

• minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 806 Senior Member
    Of those, whatever fits him better. I'd look for a nice 870 Wingmaster if possible
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Of those, whatever fits him better. I'd look for a nice 870 Wingmaster if possible
    An earlier used wingmaster is the one to look for. Not the current version, nor the express. I think Remington called them the express because they're in the express line to the gunsmith, or back to Remington to fix/replace broken parts.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Mossberg 500 is the clear winner
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    I have yet to get my hands on the Nova, although I have hunted with Benelli semi-autos, and they are wonderful. I don't own one, because the only wing shooting I do is doves, once or twice a year, and haven't been willing to pay $1000 plus for a luxury shotgun that likely will not do a better job than the $450 Stoeger I use.

I have used Remington Wingmasters, years ago, and they were also wonderful. The Express model is a decent pump gun for general purpose use, in my experience, but definitely not as sweet as a Wingmaster.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,125 Senior Member
    Express works, but, get the wingmaster
    the difference is worth it.
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 972 Senior Member
    The 870 just fits me! I don't care for the feel of or the clunkiness of the Super Nova.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member

I figured someone would do this but I didn't think it would be you. Guess who else used to praise 500's (even though it wasn't one of the choices)? Can we start calling you "minimax"?:jester:
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    I figured someone would do this but I didn't think it would be you. Guess who else used to praise 500's (even though it wasn't one of the choices)? Can we start calling you "minimax"?:jester:

No that numb nuts was stuck on stupid for the 835.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,981 Senior Member

I'm another Mossy owner, nothing wrong with their product.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    I'm another Mossy owner, nothing wrong with their product.

I've got kind of a mental block about Mossberg shotguns. I've owned shotguns for around 46 years now and I bought my first and only Mossberg shotgun about 25 years ago for an ex wife (in 20ga.) and on the first dove hunt with it, it FTF'd after about half a dozen rounds. The gun shop I bought it from in Fort Worth was a warranty center for them and the gunsmith said the firing pin broke. He said that he keeps lots of them on hand because it happens fairly regularly. I've shot thousands of rounds through it since without a problem but of all the shotguns I own and have owned, that's the only failure that I've ever had besides an autoloader getting gunked up.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,324 Senior Member
    Well. . .with for a hunting 870, I'd want to buy a blued Police model and then get a hunting barrel for it. The last 10-15 years or so, they rave about their steel receiver. . .and don't mention the civilian market guns sport a plastic trigger housing, short mag spring, cast extractor, and dimpled magazine tube with different spring retaining system that won't easily allow installation of a magazine extension.

For a hunting Mossberg, I'd want to swap out the plastic trigger housing and safeties for the mil-spec metal units from the 590-A1.

Look closely at the stuff that's "competitively priced" - there's usually a really irritating reason for it these days.:bang:

For a hunting gun, I really don't think there's much to choose between 'em. For a combat gun, I really feel the Mossbergs are harder for the operator to screw up under stress.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,365 Senior Member
    I have a couple of old wingmasters. One is a 28" vent rib great gun! The other is a plain barrel cut to 18 1/2" with a 2 round extension. Another great gun. If it were me looking for a great gun for a gift I would cruise the used racks. An older wingmaster, a Winchester model 12, an old wingmaster, a old browning A-5, an old wingmaster.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    I have a couple of old wingmasters. One is a 28" vent rib great gun! The other is a plain barrel cut to 18 1/2" with a 2 round extension. Another great gun. If it were me looking for a great gun for a gift I would cruise the used racks. An older wingmaster, a Winchester model 12, an old wingmaster, a old browning A-5, an old wingmaster.
    I'm with you Elk Creek! old model 12's or even 97's. Auto 5's and old Wingmasters are never a bad choice.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Another vote for a nice older Wingmaster. I can't walk by one on the used rack without checking it out. A few years back there was a late 60's 20ga in fair to good shape but the bore was excellent and the action smoother than any of mine. Best upland gun to for quail and dove I ever found for $200. I know a used gun as a gift can sound cheap but a vintage Wingmaster in very good to excellent shape is a treasure to a wing shooter. The new Wingmasters are nice but to me they do feel quite the same as those up to maybe the 70's ... just my opinion though.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    My first pump was a Mossberg - I don't know what model - whatever it was that they made in a 28" modified choke that you could buy at Gibson's Discount Center for $55, in 1966. I shot a lot of blue-winged teal, assorted other ducks, squirrels, and rabbits with it, but I never loved it. It was bulky and clunky, had a gravelly trigger and pump action, and didn't look at all pretty, but it worked. I've never even picked up another Mossberg, since using a few shotguns that had nicer qualities, but I'm sure they are better than that one was, since a lot more people seem to prefer them over the Remington Express.

To me, the older Wingmasters vs the Express models are approximately the same comparison as the Benelli semi-autos vs. my Stoeger M2000. They won't kill any better, but they make you feel like you aren't working as hard to accomplish the same result.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    My first pump was a Mossberg - I don't know what model - whatever it was that they made in a 28" modified choke that you could buy at Gibson's Discount Center for $55, in 1966. I shot a lot of blue-winged teal, assorted other ducks, squirrels, and rabbits with it, but I never loved it. It was bulky and clunky, had a gravelly trigger and pump action, and didn't look at all pretty, but it worked. I've never even picked up another Mossberg, since using a few shotguns that had nicer qualities, but I'm sure they are better than that one was, since a lot more people seem to prefer them over the Remington Express.

To me, the older Wingmasters vs the Express models are approximately the same comparison as the Benelli semi-autos vs. my Stoeger M2000. They won't kill any better, but they make you feel like you aren't working as hard to accomplish the same result.

It was probably a 500. I have a 20 ga. 500, but it's pretty smooth, as smooth as my first 870 was. The smoothest pump I've ever used was my dad's old Remington Model 31, the immediate predecessor to the 870 . It was a machined piece of work much the same as the Model 12 Winchester. That's what brought about the 870 Remington and its Winchester counter parts. The 31 and the model 12 were just too expensive to make at the time, much the same as with the model 721-722-725 and finally the model 700 Remington, AND the drastic changes to the Model 70 Winchester in 1964, due to the fact that it cost too much for all that machining. That's what happened to a lot of guns from that era. They had to redesign them to be made cheaper. Nowadays they can afford to machine that sort of firearm because of the computerized lathes (CNCs), which don't take near as many people to run. Lathe Machinists from that era were not cheap labor for their time. That was a very skilled craft>

They called the 31 the Ball Bearing Pump for a good reason.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.