Home Main Category Hunting

Another Cull Doe - VIDEO!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 27,449 Senior Member
Rancher wanted another doe taken, so a different friend and I went out this afternoon to get him a deer too. Plan was to get a synchronized shot on the same deer. You know.......practice makes perfect. So we set up in the same stand as I used last week for my doe with the Encore Pistol. Got there a little early as to set up adequately in the tighht confines of the box blind. My friend and i inside and the Rancher sitting on the top platform of the stairs with the door open. We finally get set up and ready.......and my phone rings.

Match Grade Machine (makers of my Encore/Contender barrels)

So, I take the call. As I'm chatting with the lovely lady...........a doe walks out. Then a buck. And they start to feed. Then, in another direction.........3 more does step out. I'm still on the phone chatting. After about 5 minutes, my buddy and the Ranchers are staring at me and making snide comments about did I come to hunt or talk on the phone. I remind them that the deer aren't going anywhere and continue talking. In a hushed voice......of course. Besides......we were hunting.

I finish my conversation and ask the two if they are finally ready to quite goofing off.

I am on the left side of the blind and my buddy is on the right. I've set the camera on a tripod (this time) between us and requested that the Rancher not go off into a cussing tirade this time. We wait for the doe to turn broadside. My buddy will be taking the lung shot behind the shoulder as it is more of a sure shot and I would be taking the head shot as insurance. Eventually, after starting and stopping the camera a couple of times, she finally cooperated.

Video:
http://vid26.photobucket.com/albums/c106/lovinmycaitlynn/Hunting/DSCN3106_zpsmxwwxofp.mp4

D-U-N...........done. And the Rancher only cussed ONCE!!

I used my .243 Medium again but with an 87gr V-Max this time as opposed to the 105gr A-Max. My buddy used a .308 Winchester with 168gr A-Max.

Where she fell.
243-308%20Doe%2011-18-15%201_zpswi18ygbp.jpg

View back at the blind.
243-308%20Doe%2011-18-15%203_zpsq26o8dvx.jpg

.243 Entry
243-308%20Doe%2011-18-15%202_zpsucoupyvv.jpg

.243 Exit
243-308%20Doe%2011-18-15%206_zpsrp3l8cbm.jpg

.308 Entrance
243-308%20Doe%2011-18-15%207_zpsgvvmqeh8.jpg

Under Hide
243-308%20Doe%2011-18-15%209_zpszzidcjcn.jpg

Under Shoulder
243-308%20Doe%2011-18-15%2011_zpsslbfauyk.jpg

Entry Right Lung
243-308%20Doe%2011-18-15%2012_zpseo1y2kpo.jpg

Exit Left Lung
243-308%20Doe%2011-18-15%2013_zpsjnuryjhu.jpg

Exit Under Shoulder
243-308%20Doe%2011-18-15%2010_zps5oyqdxmc.jpg

Exit Under Hide
243-308%20Doe%2011-18-15%208_zpsvizim0h3.jpg

Exit
243-308%20Doe%2011-18-15%205_zpsw4mjnzwf.jpg

The .308 Winchester with the A-Max performed as I expected and as it usually does. Exceptionally well.

The 87gr V-Max out of my .243 was somewhat surprising to me. I was expecting a little more catastrophic damage. Like.............a popped melon. But, other than the eyes being blown out and the off side actually blown UP...........there was little visual damage. The structural integrity of the skull was diminished as the top part of the cranium was basically mush. The exit however, was small and controlled. I was surprised. I guess that bullet is stronger than I expected.

There ya go.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    That did sound like one shot. Was there a guy on the grassy knoll too?
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,449 Senior Member
    Must'a been.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,134 Senior Member
    You guys have that shooting together down pat.
    Couldn't have made her much deader. Your rancher friend has some good looking deer on his property, management program sure is working. Andnyour report, once again fantastic report.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 wrote: »
    You guys have that shooting together down pat.
    Couldn't have made her much deader. Your rancher friend has some good looking deer on his property, management program sure is working. Andnyour report, once again fantastic report.

Lots-a-practice.

He does have a nice looking herd.

Thanks.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,491 Senior Member
    Awesome!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    cpj wrote: »
    A complete 180 from the 430 sjs results. We had a big entry, little exit. You guys had a little entry, but big exit.
    Correct! Fast and pointy enters and expands to blow out the back. The SJS launches flat rocks (figuratively speaking) that smack the surface of the "water" and cause massive initial damage. Then, shed their velocity rapidly and therefore their damage tapers off quickly. Causing less damage, other than their massive expansion, as they penetrate. Theory.

So....if you count 5,4,3 BOOM, why not 3,2,1 BOOM?

There is a method to the madness. There be other things happen at 1 & 0.

And yet another photo of proof that the Amax......works quite well considering it's a "target" bullet.

Who'd a ever thunk it?

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,040 Senior Member
    Nice shooting!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Great work and nice shooting for both of you once again. Based on the look on that doe's face, she was mildly surprised at the moment of impact.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Great work and nice shooting for both of you once again. Based on the look on that doe's face, she was mildly surprised at the moment of impact.

Nice work...but if you notice Mr. buck knew something was up...they just seem to know.
    twa wrote: »
    Nice work...but if you notice Mr. buck knew something was up...they just seem to know.

He is looking low and left of the stand at two llamas that were eating a pile of corn the rancher had put out for them. In order to keep them out of the firing line. They started to move away and that is what snapped him to attention.
    cpj wrote: »
    Whoa. We need a llama. For science!

I don't think we would be invited back.
    Zee wrote: »
    I don't think we would be invited back.

Oddly enough, in Montana last month, we saw what at first blush looked like a bedded cow elk. Upon further inspection: nope, a llama. A wild one, at that. Some years back, a couple broke out of a property, reproduced and small group have been living wild on the Montana countryside ever since.

A local rancher told us that a guy comes out there every year and shoot two of them for meat, no tag required.
    Should've shot it, then.
    Hmmm....might have made for a really nice sweater. No way the meat would've fit on the plane.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Hmmm....might have made for a really nice sweater.

Eh............

1DF5270A-0F9A-4E02-96A4-5870A420A061_zpsodm6elgf.jpg

.....maybe not.
    No, no - you misunderstood...

o-ALPACAS-WEARING-SWEATERS-570.jpg
    Oh, in that case.......