Home Main Category Hunting

6.5-06 A-Square - Field Report on Doe.

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 27,452 Senior Member
I've been trying for the better part of a week to take a deer with my MGM Barreled Encore Rifle in 6.5-06 A-Square. But, the moon has been playing havoc on the deer movement. Hunting the same property as I hunted last year, it is just an agricultural field with a grove of palm trees in one quadrant. There deer actually bed in a river bottom about 1/2 mile away. They travel to the fields to eat at night. When I'm lucky, they get there before dark. When I'm not, they don't.

The Blue Square is the land I'm allowed to hunt. Deer come from the river bottom to east.

IMG_3159_zpsnimkwtks.png

* = Locations I usually sit depending on wind and area I want to cover or gun I'm using.
Yellow Lines = Deer Travel Routes
1 = 2014 Blackbuck w/ 6.5-284 Win
2 = 2014 Doe w/ .454 Casull
3 = 2014 Doe w/ .460 S&W
4 = 2014 Axis w/ 7mm Rem Mag
5 = 2015 Doe w/ 6.5-06 A-Square

This week, I've been mostly unlucky. With the moon rising before sunset and being so high overhead and bright, the deer haven't been getting to the field until after legal shooting time. All but one 4-Point with a death wish. I've seen him 4 times before dark and always passed him up. Wanting a big doe. The does I've seen have not entered the field until after legal hours. I've been able to watch them make their trek towards the field.........but they never made it in time.

Last night........I decided the buck had worn out his welcome. If he showed up, I was gonna smoke him.

I parked at the gate and walked across the field. Set up where I shot a doe and axis buck from last year and waited. Time ticked by and it got darker and darker. Not even the 4-Point had showed up. Figuring I was going to get skunked.........I contemplated packing up. Then, with 6 minutes of legal shooting light left, I saw a herd of deer approach the fence. Getting on my rifle, the jumped the fence one by one. The 4-Point first with 5 does behind him. Scanning quickly, I found the largest doe and ranged her at 185 yards and dialed up 3/4 MOA on the scope. Glanced at the clock...........4 minutes left. Got on target and she was facing me. Waited...........quartering to........now or never.............front/center of shoulder...........BOOM!!

Recoil rocked the tripod and I lost sight picture for a second. But, even with my ear plugs in, I heard the impact.

POP!

Regaining a sight picture, I see my doe vaulting the fence like a scalded cat with the other does in tow. The 4-Point buck.................standing flat footed in the field wondering what was going on. I lost sight of the fleeing deer as they ran back towards the river bottom. Grabbed my gear quickly and moved out into the field towards the POI. The 4-Point buck..................standing there staring at me until I was less than 100 yards away. Then, he decided it was time to leave. Getting to the fence, I vague make out the band of does standing about 50 yards away, milling about. As I cross the fence, they reluctantly run off. That tells me, my doe is dead right there.

Without even looking for blood, I walk over to where the group was standing and ............there she is.

6.5-06%20A-Square%20Doe%2011-24-15%202_zpsibxk9mko.jpg

IMG_3160_zpsq8tgi1ki.png

1 = Park
2 = Hide Site
3 = Point of Impact
4 = Point of Recovery
Blue Line = Route Deer Approached From
Red Line = Route Doe Took After Shot

6.5-06%20A-Square%20Doe%2011-24-15%2014%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy_zpskdldwmvt.jpg

Finally!!!

She turned out to be the biggest doe I've taken in several years. Weighing in @ 109 pounds.

I have 2 more rifles and 5 handguns I'd like to use this season. Don't know that I will get them all bloodied, but hopefully I can make a dent on the list. Kinda want to focus on the handguns now.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,134 Senior Member
    Congratulations on another successful hunt. That is one nice doe. The ones down here are much lighter. Of course another informative and enjoyable report. Thanks for sharing.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,452 Senior Member
    Cartridge: 6.5-06 A-Square
    Bullet: 140gr A-Max
    Distance: 185 yards
    Muzzle Velocity: 3,055 fps
    Impact Velocity: 2,770 fps (est.)
    Angle: Quartering Towards
    Distance Traveled After Shot: 70 yards (approx.)

Entrance:
    6.5-06%20Doe%20Impact%20-%202770%20fps%20%20185yrds%201_zpsl7kgame0.jpg

Entrance Under Hide:
    6.5-06%20Doe%20Impact%20-%202770%20fps%20%20185yrds%202_zpscwqiui0s.jpg

Exit Through Shoulder:
    6.5-06%20Doe%20Impact%20-%202770%20fps%20%20185yrds%203_zpszhp1ubtx.jpg

Entrance To Chest (Lungs Visible):
    6.5-06%20Doe%20Impact%20-%202770%20fps%20%20185yrds%204_zpsqqidccca.jpg

6.5-06%20Doe%20Impact%20-%202770%20fps%20%20185yrds%207_zps2t2aqxcv.jpg

Broke Two Ribs:
    6.5-06%20Doe%20Impact%20-%202770%20fps%20%20185yrds%208_zpslcwyemez.jpg

Entrance Through Middle of Right Lung:
    6.5-06%20Doe%20Impact%20-%202770%20fps%20%20185yrds%209_zpscyf6f4rm.jpg

Right Lung:
    6.5-06%20Doe%20Impact%20-%202770%20fps%20%20185yrds%2010_zpsbk9v5l8f.jpg

Passed between Lungs:
    6.5-06%20Doe%20Impact%20-%202770%20fps%20%20185yrds%2012_zpsaqbcpmbr.jpg

Off Side Lung:
    6.5-06%20Doe%20Impact%20-%202770%20fps%20%20185yrds%2011_zpsgmjlrbsn.jpg

Bullet Recovered @ Back of Paunch:
    6.5-06%20Doe%20Impact%20-%202770%20fps%20%20185yrds%206_zpsregpo8zv.jpg

6.5-06%20Doe%20Impact%20-%202770%20fps%20%20185yrds%2013_zpse6erbbmc.jpg

6.5-06%20Doe%20Impact%20-%202770%20fps%20%20185yrds%2014_zpsgufttwtn.jpg

Folks, I hit that deer with the muzzle velocity of a .260 Remington. That 140gr A-Max THRASHED that DOE!!!

I've used that bullet in my 6.5-284 Winchester with excellent results, but I'm driving it almost 300 fps faster out of this 6.5-06 A-Square! I have never seen the trauma to a shoulder as I saw last night. I usually just cut around the bullet hole and eat the rest. But, I'm here to tell ya........that shoulder was TOAST!!! The impact and resulting trauma turned the basic structure of that shoulder to jello. The hole exiting the shoulder to the chest cavity was about fist size.

The scene inside the chest cavity looked like a Slurpee.............as you can see. The lungs were relatively intact. The bullet then passed through the diaphragm, nicked the liver, took out the spleen, and came to rest at the back of the paunch.

It shed all it's lead in it's path with only jacket recovered. If there was a core, I couldn't find it.......and honestly............I didn't look all that hard after finding the jacket.............my hands still smell like bile!!!

Fortunately, and on purpose.........I removed ALL the quarters and backstraps BEFORE I opened up the chest cavity and stomach. So, no meat (other than the shoulder) was ruined or tainted in this process! Did I mention my hands still smell like gut?

SCIENCE!!!

So, the bullet had incredible impact, shed all it's weight and core, but still penetrated to the back of the abdominal cavity. I am pleased with it's performance, no question. I think I am pushing it a little fast. I ain't gonna slow it down, though. Just stay away from shoulders and quartering shots from now on.

I have the same bullet loaded in my .260 Remington at a muzzle velocity over 2,800 fps. If I get a deer with it this year, it'll be interesting to compare the difference in damage.

On a side note, this gun is stupid accurate. Last week, I confirmed zero at 100 yards and it shot a .25" group. Yesterday evening, I dialed up 3/4 MOA on the scope and aimed for the front/center of her shoulder. When I approached my downed deer, the first thought I had was, "Holy CRAP! I hit her EXACTLY where I was aiming!" Not a little high, or a little low, or a little forward as so often happens when we shoot game. I mean......I hit her RIGHT where I aimed! Damn. This gun shoots well.
    By the way, I used this knife for the first time last night.

6.5-06%20Doe%20Impact%20-%202770%20fps%20%20185yrds%205_zpsojlpipqe.jpg

I'd added it to an order while it was on sale for about $9 at Midway for the free shipping.

For the price, it is an EXCELLENT knife! Sharpens well and is very comfortable in the hand. Good blade shape and held an edge.

Food for thought.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/291709/cold-steel-canadian-belt-knife-fixed-blade-4-drop-point-4116-krupp-stainless-steel-blade-polypropylene-handle-black

On a side note, I did the same order thing with this knife.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/439302/cold-steel-roach-belly-fixed-blade-knife-425-drop-point-4116-krupp-stainless-steel-blade-polypropylene-handle-black

I used it last week on a doe.

I do not recommend this knife. While it looks cool and seemed like it would be a good skinner............the handle proved to be too slippery and the back/bottom of the blade where your index finger rests kept getting hung up on meat or hide. It's too much of a 90 degree shelf in my opinion. Not a horrible knife, but after using it on two deer, I prefer the other one.
    cpj wrote: »
    The Amax is a target bullet.

Yep. Hit right where I aimed. Accurate little sucker.

:jester:
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    My Ruger M77 in 6.5-06 clocks a 125 grain Nosler Partition at just a tad over 3100 FPS and comes close to overlapping holes at 100 yards with boring regularity. It's been dropping deer DRT for me for over 25 years. I'm using a 24" barrel that was originally chambered in 6.5X57 that Numrich Gun parts had in stock, no idea where it was manufactured other than "somewhere in Europe" according to the guy at GPC. I bought it because it was already threaded for the Ruger receiver and blued, and only needed to be rechambered. Previously, I had been using an Adams & Bennett 6.5X55 barrel, with the chamber reamed to 6.5-06.
    Jerry
    Something you northern folk might have noticed.

There ain't a STITCH of fat on that doe! Suckers are LEAN down here.
    I really, really like the shape of that roach belly.
    Maybe it's just your jacked up hands, not the knife that's the problem?

I really liked the shape of that Roach Belly too. Then, I used it. If it wasn't for that one spot at the bottom of the blade and the slickness of the handle................it would be great.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    I bought a roach belly. Zee is right about the handle. It is slicker than greased owl Shiite. I just took a soldering iron to it and the handle works great. As to the blade profile catching while in use. I can not speak to that. I have not used it yet. I will post a pic of the mods when I get a chance.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,491 Senior Member
    Well Done!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    A 50cal 320gr8 maxi ball @ 1300fps does almost as much to an elk shoulder from 20 feet.
    What's a guy ta do?
    Iaint no sniper, gotta go for the lungs.
    A deer on the tarp is better than leaving the blue sqare.
    Another great read!
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

You wanting a proctology exam or something?

I need to do something like that.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I need to do something like that.

Night and day. Completely solves the grip problem. I don't know your experience, but mine has been acceptable with cold steel. The blades seem to do well when used on soft tissue. They sharpen easy and hold an edge as long as they don't work too hard. My guess is your issue with the blade profile could be dealt with in 30 seconds with a grinder.
    early wrote: »
    A 50cal 320gr8 maxi ball @ 1300fps does almost as much to an elk shoulder from 20 feet.

I would imagine!
    Night and day. Completely solves the grip problem. I don't know your experience, but mine has been acceptable with cold steel. The blades seem to do well when used on soft tissue. They sharpen easy and hold an edge as long as they don't work too hard. My guess is your issue with the blade profile could be dealt with in 30 seconds with a grinder.

I do like Cold Steel knives. Great for the price.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Nice doe. I hope I get a chance to use that same bullet on deer this year. Great write up as always.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    Something you northern folk might have noticed.

There ain't a STITCH of fat on that doe! Suckers are LEAN down here.

I did notice that. And, how short and slick the hair is, compared to ours.

Great report, I'm really pleased to see how well the A Max did going through the shoulder.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Cartridge: 6.5-06 A-Square
    Bullet: 140gr A-Max
    Distance: 185 yards
    Muzzle Velocity: 3,055 fps
    Impact Velocity: 2,770 fps (est.)
    Angle: Quartering Towards
    Distance Traveled After Shot: 70 yards (approx.)

On a side note, this gun is stupid accurate. Last week, I confirmed zero at 100 yards and it shot a .25" group. Yesterday evening, I dialed up 3/4 MOA on the scope and aimed for the front/center of her shoulder. When I approached my downed deer, the first thought I had was, "Holy CRAP! I hit her EXACTLY where I was aiming!" Not a little high, or a little low, or a little forward as so often happens when we shoot game. I mean......I hit her RIGHT where I aimed! Damn. This gun shoots well.

This is what's supposed to happen when you've got your rifle shooting like you want it and you do your part.

This is almost exactly a replay of my little nubber buck I shot Sunday with my .257 Bob AI. It was around the same range, I estimated between 150-180 yards, I didn't take time to measure, and hit him right behind the leg about the same distance up from the bottom of the body cavity as yours appears. However, mine didn't run, it walked in the company of the little 4 point with him over about 50-60 yards and died. Of course, I didn't have near the bullet you did, at 115 grains as opposed to 140 and you shot through the shoulder, Those were the only real differences, but our velocities were very close.

But I've never seen a deer shot that act like this one did. He didn't even flinch when shot. I didn't think I hit him and was quietly cursing my rifle, thinking I had knocked the scope off because I shot three times. I found later when I skinned it I did also hit on the second shot just into the leg about an inch to the front of the killing shot. Not a bad group if you discount the third shot that missed. I didn't see that before skinning and I couldn't find an exit wound for that shot. Who knows? Maybe I put two in one hole! Well I can dream can't I?

But when we drove out there about 30 minutes later to find him, there he was. And when I got up to him and looked, that bullet went right where I was aiming, not a little low or a little high but right where the cross hairs had lain. This is what I expect out of my guns and myself, not that I always get performance like that, but that's my bar level I strive for.

Performance Expectations like that keep me within the ditches. Shoot for the stars but hit the moon. But this time, as you did, I hit the stars. Don't you just love it when that happens?

Oh BTW, why don't we ask Obummer if he can Cancel that full moon during hunting season? Hell he thinks he hung it, he should be able to change it!

:tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    jbohio wrote: »
    I did notice that. And, how short and slick the hair is, compared to ours.

Dude, it was November 24th and I was sweating while the mosquitoes buzzed all around me. :angry:

Yay!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    If you decide to use that rifle as a varminter, I can highly recommend the Speer 100 grain HP bullet. It's stepping along at 3450 FPS with a max load of RL-19 across my chrono, and it turns a groundhog or a crow into a red mist.
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    If you decide to use that rifle as a varminter, I can highly recommend the Speer 100 grain HP bullet. It's stepping along at 3450 FPS across my chrono, and it turns a groundhog or a crow into a red mist.
    Jerry

I would imagine!
    :yikes:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member

Oh Good!!! Hand Condoms!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Wear those. Then your hands won't smell like deer innards.

I somehow missed this reply.

This, is the only reason I would ever wear gloves to clean a deer. If I had to dig in the stomach like I did for this one. The resulting acids and stomach content smells permeating your skin. Makes valid sense to wear them.

Otherwise.........it's a Nancy move. Blood washes off. Stomach acids.......however.......stick around awhile.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member