Home Main Category General Firearms

My first .223 Remington Handloads.

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 27,464 Senior Member
Jerm has been bugging me since I messed with his .338 Federal to load for the .223 Remington and Chris has been a plague for the better part of a year about working up a load for some 80gr A-Max bullets he sent me. Seems I had a fast twist barrel he wanted me to try them in. Well..........I finally decided to get them off my back.

F635B173-D6AE-4730-B333-B0A881FDB618_zpsj6rl3fsh.jpg

881E3616-7F8A-47ED-8FC1-8DFD072CDB88_zpsmkkhxgrx.jpg

Prepped some brass last night and tried to figure out the correct seating depth as I didn't have a fired case handy for my Contender barrel. I removed the barrel, seated long, and kept seating the bullet deeper until it fit in the chamber easily. Hornady had data for the 80gr A-Max, obviously, but it was for a deeper seat depth. Hodgdon had data for the 80gr Sierra at a longer seat depth, so I went with the Hodgdon data and loaded 4 batches from 22.5gr H4895 to 24.0gr H4895 in .5gr increments.

11E2F853-5FD3-4EAD-94ED-B4EC92B42809_zpskgb1qvyb.jpg

Suckers don't even look like .223 Remington rounds! Those bullets are HUGE!!

Hit the range this afternoon with my 13" MGM barreled Contender.

80gr%20A-Max%20Load%20Work%2011-29-15%205%20-%20Copy_zpsfmccma8r.jpg

At home, I had taken the loaded rounds out of the tray and placed them in an ammo box to take to the range. Like I always do. I also wrote the powder charge on the case......like I always do. What I didn't do.........that I always do......is put them in the box with lowest charge on the left and highest on the right. Like I always do.......except this time.

At the range, I set up the chronograph. Set up the gun. Grabbed the ammo box. Sat down and fired the first round. No issue. Opened the action and it was a tad sticky. Fired the next and it was the same. Looked at the primer and it was flat. On a starting load?!? Looked at the side of the case.............24.0gr written on the side.

Oops.

Because they were on the left side of the box, I went into system normal and started with them. Not knowing that I had but them in backwards. Oh well. No harm done. But, lesson learned..........check the charge on the side of the case first.

They weren't the most accurate load anyway........though the fastest.........duh.

Accurate was a tie between the starting load and .5gr under Max.

80gr%20A-Max%20Load%20Work%2011-29-15%2027_zpsbbitoagl.jpg

The load I'm going with is 23.5gr H4895 @ 2,475 fps and a SD of 8 fps for 3 rounds @ 100 yards = .358"

80gr%20A-Max%20Load%20Work%2011-29-15%2020_zpsluvoo7q7.jpg

That'll work. Not an amazingly accurate load. But, good enough to hunt with and the velocity ain't bad.

Guess I gotta load the rest of them and shoot a deer or pig now. See what happens.

Science!
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    My guess is those are not mag length.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    How did you come up with the seating depth? Set it to touch the lands and back it off a little?
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    That cartridge has had more bullet development in the last ten years than a guy can follow. 80gr bullets?
    At 2400+ fps I guess they'll deliver a lethal blow.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,464 Senior Member
    My guess is those are not mag length.

Yeah......no.

F68FC5DE-C529-44E7-867E-FB9A0E6AED02_zpsqhilbrgm.jpg
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    How did you come up with the seating depth? Set it to touch the lands and back it off a little?

With the barrel removed, I inserted the round (seated long) into the chamber and kept seating every so little deeper until it dropped into the chamber with the resounding "thunk" of not hitting the lands. That's what I did last night.

Now that I have a fired case, I put a dint in the case mouth and put a bullet painted with a sharpie marker into the case. Push the round into the chamber and remove gently. Measure the Base to Ogive with a Comparator and get my max chamber length.

Come to find out this evening after doing so.......I was spot on with my measurement from yesterday. I am .008" off the lands. That'll work.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    It's a 1010 FPE out to 50 yards, About 2300 fps and 940 FPE at 100 yards... not really a thumper. Should be good for medium / small game. Next.... SCIENCE! :applause:

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    cpj wrote: »
    To hell with FPE.
    Let's actually see what it does to game.

A point blank 230 fr .45 at 900 fps is about 410 FPE . It's a reference point.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    A 14.2 grain .22 caliber Crossman pellet at 3600 FPS is 408 FPE.

Dude! It's got as much FPE as the unstoppable .45 ACP!!!!! That's a man slayer right there!!!

Ha!
    A 14.2 grain .22 caliber Crossman pellet at 3600 FPS is 408 FPE.

While that might be true, I have never seen an air gun that can do that. ( insert sarcasm... here )

Like I said, it's just a point of reference.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Nice looking rounds- - - - -do they want to be .30-06 when they grow up?
    :jester:
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    Nice looking rounds- - - - -do they want to be .30-06 when they grow up?
    Jerry

Pretty much!
    Makes no difference whether or not it can be done. That's how the formula works out. It simply illustrates FPE is basically worthless as reference point.

This.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,877 Senior Member
    Regarding "reference points": they're only really valid if you're comparing similar cartridges. Comparing a rifle round to a handgun round? Pretty much anyone will admit it's silly. Well, comparing something like a .223 to a .30-06 should be equally silly to anyone who bothers to think the issue through.

Pondoro Taylor, when he came up with his Taylor Knock Out Formula, applied the caveat that as long as the cartridges are of similar characteristics: construction, profile, diameter, and velocity, then the comparison has some validity. I.E. a .223 loaded with an A-Max is vastly different in all characteristics than a .45 using FMJ ammo. Further, comparing the pistol ammo using same weight and velocity bullets, but different designs (FMJ vs. JHP, for example) is also not valid.

So yeah, FPE, momentum, TKO, and the like can be used for comparisons, but they're really only valid reference points for ammunition possessing similar characteristics.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Kind of like a non-gun person asking what round or gun has more power?

What rain fall's wetter?
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    I'm just shocked Zee is RELOADING for the 223:jester:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I'm just shocked Zee is RELOADING for the 223:jester:

I was goaded, proded, teased, coerced, badgered, bothered, bugged, and generally forced into loading for the .223 Remington.

It's not my fault.
    Yea, you are manipulated so easy...:fiddle:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Yea, you are manipulated so easy...:fiddle:

Victim of my surroundings.
    Next will be wildcat cartridges...
    Zee wrote: »
    Victim of my surroundings.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Next will be wildcat cartridges...

I'll NEVER do that!

Ha!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Yes you have. I still need those expander dimensions.

Well, since I've set precedence as to time allotted before I actually have to do what you ask................I have up to a year to respond.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    While that might be true, I have never seen an air gun that can do that. ( insert sarcasm... here )

Like I said, it's just a point of reference.

I have heard that it is possible to increase the velocity of an air rifle pellet over and well above normal by putting a drop of diesel in the cavity at the back...............but it doesn't do the rifle much good...........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....