Home Main Category Hunting

Rain no deer

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 7,715 Senior Member
Hit it pretty hard first day. Saw 2 small doe and 2 that should have had 7th Calvary brands on them. Son saw a spike and a button buck, wife saw 8 doe.

It rained hard yesterday so I worked in the basement. I went out this morning in the dark and fog. You couldn't see 30 yards when shooing hours started, then it started to rain. I bagged it after 2 hours. I will probably head out this afternoon, right now I am working on garage ceiling.
It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Hit it pretty hard first day. Saw 2 small doe and 2 that should have had 7th Calvary brands on them. Son saw a spike and a button buck, wife saw 8 doe.

It rained hard yesterday so I worked in the basement. I went out this morning in the dark and fog. You couldn't see 30 yards when shooing hours started, then it started to rain. I bagged it after 2 hours. I will probably head out this afternoon, right now I am working on garage ceiling.

Some say it's good hunting in the rain. I believe from my experience it can be very good right before a rain or right before any weather event. They sense something and move for a while. Then when it starts to rain they go off and lie down.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    A light rain has worked out well for me. Basically, if the squirrels are out around the house, I figure everything else is, too, unless there was a bright moon the night before.
    bisley wrote: »
    A light rain has worked out well for me. Basically, if the squirrels are out around the house, I figure everything else is, too, unless there was a bright moon the night before.

Very light rain? Yeah I've seen 'em out and about like in a drizzle or a misting rain. But I think harder rain is about like wind. When the wind is blowing like 15-20 MPH steady, or when it's raining hard enough (Not excessively hard) just where it's making enough noise that it blankets out other sounds, I think deer, especially shooter bucks, don't move unless it's a necessity. Otherwise I've never seen em out in it unless they get caught out in it and are moving to their lair.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,715 Senior Member
    Had 4 doe within 40 yds of the stand. It got to dark in the woods and a fog rolled in. Looked cool, but I couldn't see nuttin

Tomorrow is another day
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,715 Senior Member
    Still nothing. I had 2 young doe right behind me around 730 @ 30 yards, 4 doe pass in front @ about 70 around 900, and a 6 pt cross 25 in front at around 915 and one trespasser soon after.

If the 6 is counted with brow tines it is a sub legal buck here. In my area a adult hunter can only shoot a buck if it has 3 or more on the main beam, including the beam point, on at least one side. Brow tines dont count. http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/pgc/pa_huntingdigest1516/#/32 page 33
    Still nothing. I had 2 young doe right behind me around 730 @ 30 yards, 4 doe pass in front @ about 70 around 900, and a 6 pt cross 25 in front at around 915 and one trespasser soon after.

If the 6 is counted with brow tines it is a sub legal buck here. In my area a adult hunter can only shoot a buck if it has 3 or more on the main beam, including the beam point, on at least one side. Brow tines dont count. http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/pgc/pa_huntingdigest1516/#/32 page 33

This sounds like our stupid 13 inch law. There's a lot of deer around here that their anters don't go out to the sides as much as up. I've seen some relatively old bucks that aren't legal width wise. That deer you saw with Brow tines is probably old enough to vote.