Home Main Category General Firearms

Early Christmas surprise

ArmoredmanArmoredman MemberPosts: 362 Member
Got this in the mail,

Close%208_zps1sxgsoz5.jpg

High Noon Holsters new hybrid holster, this one is the Close Encounter. Nice they included the sticker. The pattern is called Highlander, and the strap is embossed sharkskin. The molding on the back is very good - almost looks like one of thoe illusion pictures; "Is the gun in a holster, or is it painted brown laying on a flat sheet of leather?" :)

Close%207_zpsdffvztna.jpg

Rides quite well.

Close%2011_zpsi7ms2bmr.jpg

It's going to get field tested for the next couple of days. I've never had a Kydex holster, so this ought to be interesting. The Kydex itself is leather lined inside, also quite nice. BTW, this really was a gift, very cool.

Replies

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,911 Senior Member
    That looks really good. Think I will check out their website and see if there's one for my new Ruger 1911.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • ArmoredmanArmoredman Member Posts: 362 Member
    Wore it all day today, no issues, wear well, no "pokey outy" hurting my tender fatness. :wink: It moves more than I am used to, having one strap, but not enough to be a problem. Had a few people want the address when I took my jacket off at the range today. :) AZ, no permit required for concealed or open carry, so no big deal. Good thing I had a nice holster to distract people from my horrible shooting today!:silly::rotflmao:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    I like the looks of it
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,985 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I like the looks of it

I do too. I'm not much into holsters (In California, what's the point? :cuss:), but it looks nice!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    I wear em around the house and practice draw strokes, reloads and re-holstering. Never know when you may find yourself living in a friendlier state.

That's a good point!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    Or visiting - Free AZ is just a few steps away. :wink: Load up and holster just inside our border. :cool:
    Our guns laws are pretty simple and easy - no permit required to carry openly or concealed as long as you're not a prohibited possessor or under 21. Shooting in the desert - must be over 1/4 mile from an occupied structure and no destruction f protected plants, like saguaro cactus, palo verde, etc. Come on down? Legally carry your M4gery concealed, for the grins of it - you will discovere that carrying a long gun concealed isn't much of a picnic, but can be done.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Interesting holster, I have quite a few from HNH, they make good stuff. I have gone to the OWB carry in my old age and expanded love handles.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    I've been using it for a while now, and it's quite comfortable for all day carry. Never had kydex before, so this was pretty neat. :)
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    Whaddaya say Zorba? Road trip to AZ. You bring your holster and I'll bring mine. We'll go shootin in the desert. :jester:
    Let me know when, I'm only 56 miles from the Ca. border with a couple hundred thousand square miles of open desert to shoot in.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Interesting take on a hybrid type holster. (Leather/kydex)
    But, the backside has too many pokey outy points. That's the beauty of a hybrid. The smooth leather is just that...smooth. With no pokey points.
    In my humble opinion, it's a poor design very well executed.

Which is (one of) the exact reason that I dislike hybrid holsters...with one side being flat and not molding to the gun, it is impossible to get proper retention on your pistol. Even in what I consider to be the best hybrid holster on the market, the Comp-Tac Minotaur, the retention (even with the retention screws fully tightened) absolutely sucks. Even though it's a very "comfortable" holster, it isn't very "comforting". As a result, it only gets worn when I have to have something that is tuckable.
    https://youtu.be/EQNqMtWGVCU

This works better than pictures, I think.
    I don't get that, but ok...
    How tight you want it held?

Same as my knife sheath......I want a "f#(% you" level of retention. I want to be able to stick a fully loaded gun in the holster, turn it upside down, shake the piss out of it, and the gun (or knife) not come out of the holster.
    Armoredman wrote: »

Nice video - I liked the credits!

)O(
    Armoredman wrote: »

Looks like it works very well, which I would attribute to the leather being molded to the gun, rather than just smooth like most other hybrids on the market.
  • HastaHasta Member Posts: 56 Member
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    My crossbreed (real, not my version, but mine does as well) does that. Not when it's out of my britches, but since I don't carry my gun in my hand while in the holster...

When it's in my drawers and my belts tightened, it ain't falling out if I get turned upside down.

Agree. The one I have for my M&P, I had to relieve the kydex a bit, so I could draw with my belt tightened.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I like the looks of it

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!:agree:
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,466 Senior Member
    I can't do the Crossbreed style "Hybrid Holster" thing. Suckers take up too much space! Damn thing would go from 3:00 to 6:00 on my belt if not more!!!

That.......ain't comfort to me.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    This one takes up about the same amount of room as any IWB rig. It's practically impossible for any IWB to be as comfortable as an OWB, but this one is pretty good. :) Long term wear/carry was just fine with it.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,466 Senior Member
    No thanks.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith