Home Main Category Hunting

Used the Last Buck Tag

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 12,073 Senior Member
was able to squeak away for ma trip to the hunting lease this weekend, and despite the warm temps and insane winds, was able to connect on one of the biggest cull bucks I have seen on our property. My son is going to be super mad at me for using the last buck tag while he was not there, but I had to whack him. While looking at him through the scope, it looked like he was a 3 point. And in western terms, he would be a 0x3.

So, I dropped the hammer on him. Shot stats- Distance: laser measured 130 yards. Gun- DPMS LR-308 (AR-10ish) in .308 Win with a Redfield 3-9x40. Ammo- Horandy Custom factory ammo with the 168Gr A-MAX. Shot Placement- Neck (foot was still not 100%, did not want to track him, and did not want headshot because I wanted the skull intact). Shot missed the spine, but cut the main arteries and trachea. Deer got about 50 yards away from where I hit him and fell of a damn cliff. Seriously.

When I got up to him I noticed he DID have a right side antler, and it might have just been broken in a fight. My hunting buddy (who has been a guide on some of the biggest game ranches around, and knows his stuff) looked at it, and his opinion is that it was a stub, and it has been rubbed a lot to make it look broken. But anyway, he was a darn big deer for this area.

Pics:

When I pulled the game cam pics, I got a selfie of him from a few days ago

You can see in the selfie and the full body shot that he had a knee issue. It was all swollen up, and when I was disassembling him, I found his knee was broken. But he moved around just fine- which was strange. No limping or anything.

No autopsy photos, because I basically cut his throat with a bullet.
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    Nice deer
    interesting rack for sure.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Maybe that wasn't his first fall.

Good shot!
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Nice, that one needed to go,
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,559 Senior Member
    Excellent!

Nice cull and nice shot!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    Nice cull....wonder if his knee issue had anything to do with his screwed up rack? That is common, but it is usually opposite side of injury / messed up side of rack.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    Nicely done!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,073 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Excellent!

Nice cull and nice shot!

Well, a nice shot would have been hitting the spine and dropping him on the spot. Not sure if I wiffed the shot or the insane wind drifted the bullet a bit. But, meat in the freezer.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    twa wrote: »
    Nice cull....wonder if his knee issue had anything to do with his screwed up rack? That is common, but it is usually opposite side of injury / messed up side of rack.

That's what I always thought/ knew as well. Not sure if they were related or not, but for either reason- he needed to be taken
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,188 Senior Member
    Good Going

Deer down is meat in the freezer and a cull accomplished.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    We were able to get the truck down to the bottom of the draw with a little work and load him up without too much fuss- just a lot of time.

Since I do hunt near a fenceline, I have gotten more reliant on head and neck shots. Not that I can't track them over the li e, but I have no idea who might be hunting over there, and if they would shoot at movement.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov