Home Main Category Hunting

Doe with the .260 Remington and my boy.

2»

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,288 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Nothing to prove. I'm an idiot for it happening in the first place. But, I ain't gonna sit around. Can't. So, I've nobody to impress and nothing to prove.

I'm just me. With all the stupidity and stubbornness that comes with that.

The X-Rays today showed me that NOTHING I've done since surgery has altered or damaged the work they did. That means I am accomplishing my goal without adverse effect. I'm good to go.

By the time you break that much stuff, you sprained and strained everything around it pretty bad also, soft tissue damage will cause changes to joint function and degenerative arthritis is soon too follow, like in 5-10 years on a normal person, you ain't normal. There is nothing worse than constant hand, foot, or face pain.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,559 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    By the time you break that much stuff, you sprained and strained everything around it pretty bad also, soft tissue damage will cause changes to joint function and degenerative arthritis is soon too follow, like in 5-10 years on a normal person, you ain't normal. There is nothing worse than constant hand, foot, or face pain.

The Dr. already advised me of that. The bones would heal, but that everything else I screwed up around them would bite me in the butt in about 10 years.

I got 15 more 'till mandatory retirement. Too late...........to be quick. I ain't gotta like it.............just gotta do it.

Life.........ain't for the weak.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    ANYWAY! :jester:

The rifle............

I used the illuminated reticle for the first time to make that shot. Figured I might as well try it. I'm still up in the air as to my liking it or not. I suppose it did it's job as the light was extremely faded. But, I probably could have made the shot without the illumination in the legal time left.

I made a very similar shot (time/distance/angle) with my 6.5-06 a couple weeks ago. That one was accomplished without use of an illuminated reticle.

Granted, there is a difference in the two scopes. Both are 30mm tubes, but the illuminated one has a 36mm Objective while the non-illuminated one has a 50mm objective.

Guess my point is, I had mere minutes remaining in legal shooting time for both occasions. One shot was made with illuminated aid and the other was not. So, with a good scope, it can be done right up to legal shooting light. After that..........we move into necessity of artificial illumination, night vision, or thermal. At that point, the illuminated reticle is moot.

If you got the illuminated reticle..........cool. If you are wondering if it is worth/needed for the extra couple hundred dollars it often costs..................not in my book. If you want it, though..........get it.
    I know how to slow that process;), get the metal OUT if you have that option.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    If you got the illuminated reticle..........cool. If you are wondering if it is worth/needed for the extra couple hundred dollars it often costs..................not in my book. If you want it, though..........get it.
    I was wondering that. It is good to know that I am not really missing anything. And why do those deer keep coming out at last light? Don't they know that 90% of them should be out there in broad daylight?
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,391 Senior Member
    I'm pretty much right with Zee on the subject of illumiated reticles. I have one on my 4.5-15x50, and I've played with it enough in twilight settings to conclude that there's maybe five minutes at the beginning and end of legal shoot time where it MIGHT be useful, but in those five minutes, definitively identifying your target is nearly impossible - even through some of the best glass you can buy.

For the rest of legal shoot time, I can see the crosshairs fine, and curse the electonic diode compartment on the scope for rotating to "ON" against my pack. This last season, the cap unscrewed on its own and fell off. Free replacement currently en-route from Leupold (along with my new CDS dial). I think next year it will be locked down with electrical tape.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Jermanator wrote: »
    And why do those deer keep coming out at last light? Don't they know that 90% of them should be out there in broad daylight?

They didn't get that memo, I guess.

Three of the six deer I've shot this year were after 6:00 in the evening and within minutes of the end of legal shooting light. The other 3 were shot between 4-5 o'clock in the afternoon at a feeder.

So at best, I'm batting 50/50 on "broad daylight".
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,527 Senior Member
    THIS!
    Glad you were out having a great time with your son.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    And why do those deer keep coming out at last light? Don't they know that 90% of them should be out there in broad daylight?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Murphy's LawMurphy's Law Member Posts: 313 Member
    Very cool! Minus the broken foot of course!
    cpj wrote: »
    I'm not the stupid one. It's the wee man.

Debatable:jester:, its just Zee's turn this week.
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Debatable:jester:, its just Zee's turn this week.

Wait! We can take turns?!? EVERY week isn't MY week?!?
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,368 Senior Member
    It's not really a mustache. Not sure what it is, but it leaves his face and sits in his lap while he watches TV in the evening.

They're hairy caterpillars that he's trained to sit there. They love Cheeto crumbs, so they just stay there. And, they're getting fattened up on Cheeto crumbs so they'll be ready for dinner when Zee needs a snack...
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,887 Senior Member
    Nice report. Glad to see the .260 worked out.

Zee may be small, but he does appear to have hit puberty. The clean-faced haters, evidently, haven't...
    I'm just here for snark.
    Zee may be small, but he does appear to have hit puberty. The clean-faced haters, evidently, haven't...

:agree:
    Jealousy. It's something the facially furred have to endure from those without any plumage.
    I'm just here for snark.
    So what did you have to buy the wife for her to allow you to grow your beard back?
    Nothing. I just did. Much like when I later buzzed my hair off, she wasn't sure about it at first, but then got used to it and likes it.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,037 Senior Member
    Nice autopsy pix - I like the way you showed the bullet progression from entrance to exit with the through the hide exit wound pictured last. Very clear and understandable even to me - and I know you didn't photograph it in that order! Good job.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    zorba wrote: »
    Nice autopsy pix - I like the way you showed the bullet progression from entrance to exit with the through the hide exit wound pictured last. Very clear and understandable even to me - and I know you didn't photograph it in that order! Good job.

Thanks! I try to make it sudo understandable. Or at least, interesting to learn.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,527 Senior Member
    Don't you listen to them...Yes, EVERY WEEK is YOUR WEEK!:win:
    Wait! We can take turns?!? EVERY week isn't MY week?!?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,585 Senior Member
    6 weeks after having my ACL reconstructed I spent the entire weekend pheasant hunting. Walked like 12 miles over hill and dale. My knee swelled up like a balloon and my physical therapist was not impressed.

1) your surgery probably came with a prescription for the "good stuff." Save it for when you have to walk 5+ miles per day for 2 weeks (golf trip for me).
    2) always take some Advil before you do something stupid and always have ice packs ready to go when you are done.
    Wait a minute. Are you yet again claiming outstanding results with a target bullet?

Say it ain't so.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    1) your surgery probably came with a prescription for the "good stuff." Save it for when you have to walk 5+ miles per day for 2 weeks (golf trip for me).
    2) always take some Advil before you do something stupid and always have ice packs ready to go when you are done.

1)I was 17 at the time, mom had hidden the good already. Besides I didn't like it, made me tired.

2) See first part of number one. I either wasn't smart enough or didn't care enough.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Nice report. Glad to see the .260 worked out.

I can grow a pretty nice beard but the Sam Elliot lip critter is beyond my abilities. I am jealous of that.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    My daugheter is currently reading that book.

A classical novel and a good tale. :up:

Just you be a fearful of that their Blind Pew and his black spot.

Another Stevenson she may like, is Kidnapped.
    Set around the Jacobite rising of 1745, except for the occasional words and phrases in 18th Century Scottish dialect, it is a really good read.
    I can grow a pretty nice beard but the Sam Elliot lip critter is beyond my abilities. I am jealous of that.

I've got a month of vacation off, so I'm letting it get stupid long.

cowboy-mustache-pacifier.jpg

Mustachifier

$9.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AHO6SH8/?tag=047-20
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,365 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »

:spittingcoffee:

Don't forget to send me money for a new keyboard............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman wrote: »
    :spittingcoffee:

Don't forget to send me money for a new keyboard............

943289_a.jpg

This cover it mate? :jester:
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Nicely done :up:
    If the 123 Amax had given me a similar exit wound from my Grendel, I'd still be using them, instead of looking for another bullet for it.

The Grendel doesn't have the capacity to handle 140gr bullets efficiently

I've no experience with the 123gr bullets. Maybe it is a velocity issue????? I've absolutely no clue. Would be interested in finding out, though.