Home Main Category Hunting

Kansas Pheasant

twatwa Senior MemberPosts: 2,245 Senior Member
Got to go out pheasant hunting for the first time in 6 years with my Son over the weekend. I forgot how fun it is, dropping those big ole cackling birds. They are some tough birds also, I put 3 shots of 12 gauge #6 into one rooster that got up within 20 feet, feathers a flying on every shot and it just kept on going. Watching the dogs work was half the fun.....

62564DC1-B059-46B6-B101-28F9C62E26E5.jpg

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,552 Senior Member
    Good deal!

Was it a preserve or a wild shoot? I hear it's pretty hard getting numbers on a wild shoot.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,137 Senior Member
    Nice...love hunting ditch parrots...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    That's a real bag
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    Pheasants are hard to find in our eastern part of KS, saw some last year in CRP grass - glad you found some to shoot at.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Great job and lots of fun! Those birds are tough. I had a similar experience with a tough old rooster that took a shot from me up the tail pipe and kept flying until my buddy hit him from directly underneath inside of 15 yards.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,185 Senior Member
    Only time I hunted pheasant was when stationed in the UK. First two shots, I missed. Next two birds down and I was done for the day.

I had a great time, hope to do it again.

Congrats on some nice birds
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    You have scored some of the best eating birds on this continent. The last time I got to go pheasant hunting was in South Dakota and those birds would rather run than fly. The locals just shoot them on the ground...........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    You have scored some of the best eating birds on this continent. The last time I got to go pheasant hunting was in South Dakota and those birds would rather run than fly. The locals just shoot them on the ground...........robin

Smart roosters that have seen pressure tend to do exactly that. In Nebraska, we've pushed some old birds for danged near a mile until the cover ran out and they finally flew. If the cover is endless, odds are that they stay on the ground.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    You have scored some of the best eating birds on this continent. The last time I got to go pheasant hunt,ing was in South Dakota and those birds would rather run than fly. The locals just shoot them on the ground...........robin

In the words of the infamous Marcel Ledbetter talking to the Game Warden in SE Mississippi, "You mean they can FLY???"
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 2,040 Senior Member
    Good hustle! Busting roosters with dogs is too much fun!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain