Home Main Category Hunting

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,429 Senior Member
Went out about 6PM to swap SD Cards in my new Game Cam yesterday and when we plugged it into the computer look what we found!

12260014_zpsoijafo3e.jpg

12260015_zpsubo7hfls.jpg

12260016_zpslauzxftr.jpg

12260020_zpspfvj6gw8.jpg

12260021_zpskyodvzjj.jpg

12260022_zpsmkwiqzyt.jpg

12260024_zps1xm1lifn.jpg

12260040_zpswhpz227n.jpg

12260043_zpsqsooyexx.jpg

12260047_zpsqtpyl6zr.jpg

12260061_zps3nosgkie.jpg

12260053_zps3lodazt3.jpg

12260060_zpszqgks1tw.jpg

12260063_zpshyjwxsh0.jpg

12260069_zpsb9fq4uon.jpg

12260071_zpsheqnshpt.jpg

And as I drive up last night, away they go!

12260088_zpso9wdmnnz.jpg

My Son In Law and I looked at all the pics on his I-Pad last night and studied it at length and we figured there was 12 to 15 different hogs. This was different from the bunch my Grandson and I shot at and missed a few weeks back. That group was about 12 in number and there were no white hogs, they were all brindle to black in color.

I drove up on them but never saw them. They probably scattered when I turned the corner into that field and didn't have the spotlight on yet. It takes about 45 minutes for me to get out there and through three gates and down into the lease to my feeder. I left my daughter's house just a few minutes before 6:00 P.M so the game cam is about right on the money time wise.

I'm going out this afternoon and sit in my tent blind which is about 50-60 yards away. While I was there I poured out a 40 Pound Bag of Wally World Corn and dumped about half a 5 pound bag of Hog Wild on top. I've got a good battery out of my boat and I'll get the clips where I can plug my Q-Beam in and put it in the tent blind. I'm thinking of taking the Garand out there. 8 quick shots should get me at least 3 or 4 of em.
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,033 Senior Member
    Good luck!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Pig poppin with an M1 Garand.

Priceless!
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,982 Senior Member
    Get em!

Is it against Texas law to set up some IED's around your feeder and sit a ways back with the trigger switch? LOL get all 15 in one "shot"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Get em!

Is it against Texas law to set up some IED's around your feeder and sit a ways back with the trigger switch? LOL get all 15 in one "shot"

Maybe a can of Tannerite. Just shoot the can and watch the blast. One thing, probably wouldn't have much skinning to do or cooking either.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    early wrote: »
    Pig poppin with an M1 Garand.

Priceless!

Actually, many a hog been assassinated with a Garand around here. It used to be one of the weapons of choice for that purpose. Both M-1s, Garand and Carbine have been used on hogs. Thing is you've got about 3 seconds to get as many as you can. When scared they have to be one of the fastest land animals on record. And where we hunt, there's thick brush in all directions a very short distance away. So you shoot and if you blink, in just a couple clicks they vaporize. It's like Scotty beamed them up!!!
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    It's no wonder the lighter ARs are so popular then.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    early wrote: »
    It's no wonder the lighter ARs are so popular then.

You ain't kidding! Actually around here, many hogs are killed with ARs and .223s in general. I haven't killed one yet, but I'm tempted to try. I've got a load worked up for my Stevens 200 .223 that is pretty accurate with a 68 grain boat tail at 2950-3000 FPS. One shot to the head or neck and porky bites the dust.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Not real sure of size since I don't know what to I can gauge against but they look about the right size for good pig cooker bbqing. That many I'd almost be tempted to set up the old 20 foot round catch pen and get as many as possible. A couple of those would do a nice pig pickin' and the rest bacon, sausage and such.

Also that is proof you NEED a can!
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Not real sure of size since I don't know what to I can gauge against but they look about the right size for good pig cooker bbqing. That many I'd almost be tempted to set up the old 20 foot round catch pen and get as many as possible. A couple of those would do a nice pig pickin' and the rest bacon, sausage and such.

Also that is proof you NEED a can!

I agree, a can would be optimal in this situation, especially if you're close enough for subsonic rounds. You could pick em off as they ate and they'd think their buddies were just sleeping.

Oh as for size these are not small. Some of the bigger bores weigh upwards of 250 pounds. The larger sows go up to about 175-200. Some are the ideal weight of 75-125. There's a few of those youngsters around 50. Whatever size you want, we got.

I want to do a Filipino Lechon with one. That requires scraping the hair off. Then you gut it and clean it up and stuff the belly with lemon grass and sow it up. Then you stick a bamboo poll from Stem to stern, or in other words in the bung hole and out the mouth. You drive stakes in the ground to form an X on each end and lay the bamboo in the X. The Filipinos will then take and whack one end of the poll with a bolo or Machete where it's stuck in the end of the poll, and that's your turning handle. Then just shovel hot coals under the pig and turn steadily and constantly for 3 to 6 hours, depending on the size of the pig. The best size for this is from 50 to 100 pounds, no larger.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Claymore? They look like groceries, to me. The spotted ones are about the right size...........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    Claymore? They look like groceries, to me. The spotted ones are about the right size...........robin

That's just what I was thinking.......
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    Sometimes I wish we had wild hogs around here.......but then I think about how they mess up the land and am glad we don't.
    Hunting them would be fun though.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    gator wrote: »
    Sometimes I wish we had wild hogs around here.......but then I think about how they mess up the land and am glad we don't.
    Hunting them would be fun though.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Yep you're right on Gator! They're not something you want to make an effort to acquire, but if you have them already they're next to impossible to eradicate or control, so why not hunt em? I believe personally they're not as harmful to ranch land as some make them out to be, but they are a real nemesis to farmers. Not that they're exactly beneficial to ranchers, they do root up the ground, but I think other animals are adapting to their presence. Our hunting area is already pretty rough. It's not fit for farming. A lot isn't even fit for ranching, so a large hog presence isn't that big of a deal. Only problem is we would need Donald Trump to build an impenetrable fence to keep them off the adjacent farm land. So they ARE still very much a pain in the ass.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Gator, here in NC 95% of ours are feral pigs, especially after hurricanes tore up farms enough to let them get out of their pens. It does not take long for them to revert back to wild ways but they still aren't quite boar level. The pig problem here (especially in some eastern counties) has progressed to where the varmints do more than tear up land. They eat upland game bird eggs like caviar, some have been known to go carnivore and attack fawns and even young livestock, they can spread some nasty disease also.

I actually enjoyed boar hunting around Okeechobee years back and the first few pig hunts here but it got old quick and I swear now it is more a war than hunting. I can't remember the full mathematics behind it but a female can become able to reproduce as young as 4 or 5 months old and have at least 2 litters of 8 to 10 average piglets (some have even been up to a dozen). Ferals are most likely the worst invasive animal in NC (and most other places). They are like liberals ... they spread like wildfire and pretty much ruin the places they invade ... you are lucky to not have them.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,585 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I agree, a can would be optimal in this situation, especially if you're close enough for subsonic rounds. You could pick em off as they ate and they'd think their buddies were just sleeping.

Oh as for size these are not small. Some of the bigger bores weigh upwards of 250 pounds. The larger sows go up to about 175-200. Some are the ideal weight of 75-125. There's a few of those youngsters around 50. Whatever size you want, we got.

I want to do a Filipino Lechon with one. That requires scraping the hair off. Then you gut it and clean it up and stuff the belly with lemon grass and sow it up. Then you stick a bamboo poll from Stem to stern, or in other words in the bung hole and out the mouth. You drive stakes in the ground to form an X on each end and lay the bamboo in the X. The Filipinos will then take and whack one end of the poll with a bolo or Machete where it's stuck in the end of the poll, and that's your turning handle. Then just shovel hot coals under the pig and turn steadily and constantly for 3 to 6 hours, depending on the size of the pig. The best size for this is from 50 to 100 pounds, no larger.

As a native of South Texas, I think a pig roasted in a hole like Barbacoa would turn out very nice.

Funny Story: the first time I went hunting in ST, my cousin put me in a blind by myself with a loaner rifle, a bad scope, and instructions to shoot and adult deer or pig that I saw. It took me 20 minutes to determine that the "hog" near the fence line was a black calf.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,433 Senior Member
    We enjoy shooting them and they don't tear my place up except under the feeders. Screwy thing is for the first time in a dozen plus years they have all but disappeared around us. Normally we have between 4 to dozen or more on at least one feeder during the night. This year we're going weeks without seeing one and when we do it's usually a single or maybe a double and then they're gone again. I checked with my local warden and game biologist to see if a local did a hog kill off and they said not that they were aware of. I swapped out my SD cards today and nothing. Darndest thing, don't know where they're at and my neighbors are saying the same thing. Shoot'em while you've got them!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    We enjoy shooting them and they don't tear my place up except under the feeders. Screwy thing is for the first time in a dozen plus years they have all but disappeared around us. Normally we have between 4 to dozen or more on at least one feeder during the night. This year we're going weeks without seeing one and when we do it's usually a single or maybe a double and then they're gone again. I checked with my local warden and game biologist to see if a local did a hog kill off and they said not that they were aware of. I swapped out my SD cards today and nothing. Darndest thing, don't know where they're at and my neighbors are saying the same thing. Shoot'em while you've got them!

I have the answer to your mystery of the missing pigs. They all moved in around here,

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    As a native of South Texas, I think a pig roasted in a hole like Barbacoa would turn out very nice.

Funny Story: the first time I went hunting in ST, my cousin put me in a blind by myself with a loaner rifle, a bad scope, and instructions to shoot and adult deer or pig that I saw. It took me 20 minutes to determine that the "hog" near the fence line was a black calf.

Yeah Fester, that's Hawaiian style, like they serve at the Luals. All you'd need is 4 or 5 good looking brown skin girls in grass skirts, a couple of yukalaele players, and a bucket of Poi. On second thought, scratch the Poi, that's some nasty crap!!!
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Gator, here in NC 95% of ours are feral pigs, especially after hurricanes tore up farms enough to let them get out of their pens. It does not take long for them to revert back to wild ways but they still aren't quite boar level. The pig problem here (especially in some eastern counties) has progressed to where the varmints do more than tear up land. They eat upland game bird eggs like caviar, some have been known to go carnivore and attack fawns and even young livestock, they can spread some nasty disease also.

I actually enjoyed boar hunting around Okeechobee years back and the first few pig hunts here but it got old quick and I swear now it is more a war than hunting. I can't remember the full mathematics behind it but a female can become able to reproduce as young as 4 or 5 months old and have at least 2 litters of 8 to 10 average piglets (some have even been up to a dozen). Ferals are most likely the worst invasive animal in NC (and most other places). They are like liberals ... they spread like wildfire and pretty much ruin the places they invade ... you are lucky to not have them.

Around here they've all got some Russian in them because that's what the big ranches along the coast here imported long ago, that and Spanish. But as time goes by their genetics have been diluted with domestic hogs of all kinds. It is my opinion that those hogs with a lot of domestic blood are much better eating than those with a lot of native Russian. They have more fat in the meat. The Russian dominate breeds are dryer and less tasty.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,585 Senior Member