Home Main Category General Firearms

Who knows about Savage 99s

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 11,740 Senior Member
I traded for one this week. It's cherry on the outside, about 98%+ condition, 100% case on the lever. It's been d/t. Unfortunately. It's in .300 Savage.

BUT, the part I think that's called the "Cartridge Guide" was damaged and the bolt going forward won't push it out of the way. You can move it with your thumb, it's spring loaded, but that's about it.

The reason I don't have pictures is because it's in the LGS to be fixed. According to the guy I got it from, a friend of mine, his father fired a .250 Savage round accidentally and the case swelled up, and in poking the case out with a cleaning rod, damaged it.

I know those things are hell to get into, so I'm kinda taking a chance Any suggestions?
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,826 Senior Member
    Replacing the cart guide is no big deal, if that's all it needs. The magazine rotor is a little more of a problem, since they are different for each caliber, and sometimes hard to find replacements. I'm sure you will enjoy you're new find! I sure enjoy shooting my 99's.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    Wouldn't give mine up for anything. Oh, and it's a 300.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    What's wrong with a .300? Yeah if I had a choice, I'd probably prefer a .250 Savage, but the .300 would be my second choice. For a lever gun in a hunting situations it's a great cartridge. From the ballistics I see everywhere it gives up almost nothing to a .308 Winchester and it's such a classic in a model 99, one of the finest leaver guns ever made. I mean, ready! What's not to love?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,740 Senior Member
    I've got one 99 in .300 already and it's in good shape. But this one was a deal I couldn't pass by.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Guy at work has one, didn't completely know what he had. I gave him the 411. He put see through mounts on it.:bang:

Hope the smith brings it back to life.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,756 Senior Member
    My Savage 99f was ignored and abused. when I bought it I sent it to the LGS to be dissembled, cleaned, polished and lubed. My son and I polished the barrel and set a 2x7 Leupold on top. It shoots three shots under a dime at 100 yards. I was so happy I restocked it with a schnoble forend just because. Alas on my first hunt with it I fell and slid down a hill and scratched it.

The 300 Savage is a 308 Win ballistic twin for a hand loader. I had barrowed an identical rifle chambered in 300 Savage and dropped a deer with a 281 yard head shot, the only shot I had. You have a fantastic hunting tool good for medium game from 25 feet to 350 yards. Since it has to be dissembled go whole hog, have it polished, cleaned, and lubed you won't regret it.

My load if IIRC is 46gr of Varget under 168gr Sierra Game King.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,152 Senior Member
    I shot my first deer with a borrowed savage 99 in .243. One has been on my short list for years, and I will own one soon
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    I load for it and can't duplicate a .308, although I can get close. I'm using 150 grain bullets, which is what I use in the .308. It will get lubed when it's disassembled, I don't see any places to polish it since it's just about new. A fine rifle and a fine cartridge. The guy I got it from also had a 30-30, which he didn't want to get rid of.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,915 Senior Member
    Sounds like a GREAT find, I am sure your smith will get it back into working order for you.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Check Gunbroker... 99's have gone way up in price...
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • Savage99Savage99 Member Posts: 43 Member
    Freezer wrote: »
    My Savage 99f was ignored and abused. when I bought it I sent it to the LGS to be dissembled, cleaned, polished and lubed. My son and I polished the barrel and set a 2x7 Leupold on top. It shoots three shots under a dime at 100 yards. I was so happy I restocked it with a schnoble forend just because. Alas on my first hunt with it I fell and slid down a hill and scratched it.

The 300 Savage is a 308 Win ballistic twin for a hand loader. I had barrowed an identical rifle chambered in 300 Savage and dropped a deer with a 281 yard head shot, the only shot I had. You have a fantastic hunting tool good for medium game from 25 feet to 350 yards. Since it has to be dissembled go whole hog, have it polished, cleaned, and lubed you won't regret it.

My load if IIRC is 46gr of Varget under 168gr Sierra Game King.

Freezer,

I question that your load of 46 grs of Varget in a 300 Savage for a 168 gr bullet is an overload!!

In fact I wonder that much powder will fit in a 300 Savage case!

Here is a link to some data for 165's using Varget in the 300 Savage.

http://www.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/300-savage/

It shows 39.5 grs of Varget under a 165 gr as absolute maximum to be worked up to!
    Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes!
    When we go to the eye doctor they ask us what lens we like! They have us look through lens's and find what we see best with! Do that with your shooting optics.
    Savage99 wrote: »
    Freezer,

I question that your load of 46 grs of Varget in a 300 Savage for a 168 gr bullet is an overload!!

It shows 39.5 grs of Varget under a 165 gr as absolute maximum to be worked up to!

Well Savage 99, he did use a disclaimer of sorts when he said IIRC. You know how inaccurate figures pulled out of your head on the spur of the moment can be. I've done it, you've probably done it, most on here have done it. So I give him the benefit of the doubt. But I do tend to take up for him because the rest of his post seemed pretty well spot on. BTW, I have no idea of the actual accuracy of Freezer's data and don't care, I just pretty well agree with his post.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Freezer,

46 gr. of Varget is near a max load for a .308. (46.5 gr. of Varget in the .308.) The .308 case, per Nosler, also has 5.1 gr. more capacity (44.4 vs. 49.5 gr. water). And while the Savage has good ballistics, it's not the near equal, generally running about 300 fps slower than the .308 in both 150 and 168 gr. loadings.

The .300 Savage is a fine cartridge, but it's not the equal of a .308. It comes close, but it's not up there.
    Overkill is underrated.
    My load with 150 gr. bullets is 39 gr. of 4895. Works good.
  • Savage99Savage99 Member Posts: 43 Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Well Savage 99, he did use a disclaimer of sorts when he said IIRC. You know how inaccurate figures pulled out of your head on the spur of the moment can be. I've done it, you've probably done it, most on here have done it. So I give him the benefit of the doubt. But I do tend to take up for him because the rest of his post seemed pretty well spot on. BTW, I have no idea of the actual accuracy of Freezer's data and don't care, I just pretty well agree with his post.

Then he wrote: "The 300 Savage is a 308 Win ballistic twin for a hand loader. I had barrowed an identical rifle chambered in 300 Savage and dropped a deer with a 281 yard head shot, the only shot I had."

I would laugh if he was not dangerous!

"Spot on" LOL
    Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes!
    When we go to the eye doctor they ask us what lens we like! They have us look through lens's and find what we see best with! Do that with your shooting optics.
    You think it was 279 yds?
    Overkill is underrated.
    Then he wrote: "The 300 Savage is a 308 Win ballistic twin for a hand loader. I had barrowed an identical rifle chambered in 300 Savage and dropped a deer with a 281 yard head shot, the only shot I had."

I would laugh if he was not dangerous!

"Spot on" LOL

First I'll stand corrected on the "ballistic twin" statement. I haven't loaded for the 300 Savage. I like the cartridge and feel it very capable on medium size game.

I went to the shed and found my load data, 46 grs of Varget. When my son and I work this load up it was the most accurate and happened to be a max load. Its the only load I've worked up for this rifle. It's accurate and the SGKs work well.

I take exception with your statement. It was an identical rifle, 99f Savage owned by my twin brother. There were minor differences. It was chambered in 300 Savage toped with a 4x Weaver. I memorized the ballistics for the cartridges he gave me before we hunted. I didn't have my Savage because I had flown from Ca to Pa for the holiday and this hunt. It was not a dangerous shot. I spotted the deer and counted horns with 8x Steiner binoculars, knew the distance (Leupold range finder), the backround and the expected trajectory. I was in a blind with a rock solid rest and no wind. I figured the min drop for a head/neck shot and calculated correctly. If it dropped more I'd hit the neck. If miscalculated or I pulled the shot I'd miss clean.

I'll laugh along with our veteran poster breamfisher but you sir....
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    You think it was 279 yds?

278. I calculated it with Savage99's hot air factored in.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    Max load in Load Data using Varget for a 168 gr. bullet is 38.7. Forty six is a dangerous jump, even with a 150 gr bullet. Should you recheck your data? That's a 22% increase over max.
    Maybe he wrote a 4 when he meant a 3?
    Overkill is underrated.
    Geez I can't get a break today. I see my error again! I should have stated in the first post "my Savage is chambered in 308", my brother's is a 300 Savage.
    Well then, if that's the case... makes sense.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Geez I can't get a break today. I see my error again! I should have stated in the first post "my Savage is chambered in 308", my brother's is a 300 Savage.

I'm not sure if it applies here, but one reason a lot of older cartridges are loaded down from newer similar cartridges is because some of the older ones are chambered in some older type rifles that may not be as strong as more modern ones. Take for instance the 7x57 or even 6.5 Swede. Nowadays both of those cartridges are chambered in modern strong action rifles which can withstand a larger charge of powder than their original rifles they were offered in and can be loaded up to their potential when used in an appropriate firearm.

Were the older model 99s as strong as the newer ones?
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member

I was kinda thinkin that might be the case when I read your earlier post. :silly:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,826 Senior Member
    I'm not sure if it applies here, but one reason a lot of older cartridges are loaded down from newer similar cartridges is because some of the older ones are chambered in some older type rifles that may not be as strong as more modern ones. Take for instance the 7x57 or even 6.5 Swede. Nowadays both of those cartridges are chambered in modern strong action rifles which can withstand a larger charge of powder than their original rifles they were offered in and can be loaded up to their potential when used in an appropriate firearm.

Were the older model 99s as strong as the newer ones?

The newer actions were beefed up a little bit to handle the .308's, etc.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,941 Senior Member
    I don't personally know Freezer, but if he says he made a 281 yard head shot on a deer with a Savage 99, who am I to dispute. I have no doubt it can be done, with either a .308 or a 300 Savage.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    I can believe it, too. I made a forward-facing chest shot at 273 yards on a steenbok (an antelope species that stands about 2 feet tall with a roughly 3"x3" chest) in South Africa with a 7mm-08. Maybe nobody here would believe that, but I have 3 living witnesses on the other side of the pond who do. A head shot a 281 yards is completely believable from my perspective, be it with a .300 Savage or .308 Win.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    When I was a teen, I made a shot on a hawk, yeah I know, it probably isn't legal and I should a had my backside stroked with a leather razor strap, but I did it and made the shot at about 300 yards with a 22. Now granted it took a few shots but I connected. I know if I could do that and with a 22 LR, Freezer can take a deer out with a head shot at 281 yards with a .308 Win. or a .300 Savage.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    What's wrong with a .300? Yeah if I had a choice, I'd probably prefer a .250 Savage, but the .300 would be my second choice. For a lever gun in a hunting situations it's a great cartridge. From the ballistics I see everywhere it gives up almost nothing to a .308 Winchester and it's such a classic in a model 99, one of the finest leaver guns ever made. I mean, ready! What's not to love?

Got to agree with ya Snake!!!!!!!!!! I had a Savage model 99 chambered for .308 with two magazines... I loved that rifle, as a matter of fact I loved just about every gun I ever owned.. my only regret is due to circumstances above and beyond my control I was farced to sell most of them
    "It is what it is":usa: