Home Main Category General Firearms

Custom Dura-Coat - How Well Does it Hold Up

twatwa Senior MemberPosts: 2,238 Senior Member
Really like the looks of this...they are calling it a "custom dura coat -stainless magpul finish" .....my question is how well does a finish like this hold up?
duracoat.jpg

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Until you clean it with the wrong chemical ? or accidentally get ketchup on it, lol

I am more interested in why it has 3 positions on its selector !!!! :applause: :love::drool:
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    Kind of digging their "bronze" also...

duracoatbrown.jpg
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    My armored buddy did my Springfield 1911 and a few parts for me in Norrell's; if that's anything like DuraCoat, it's very durable. Again, if applied properly.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    I personally have never used it but know people who have, and they are well satisfied with the results.

I've used Brownells Teflon/moly baked on finish and after 20+ years it still looks like new.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • HogginHoggin Member Posts: 413 Member
    I think cerakote is the best coating right now
    :applause:

Love doing the "impossible" with a handgun!
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    It will hold up better than most other spray on finishes but it depends entirely on how you treat your gun. On the other hand the standard AR finish is atrocious for wear. I'm pretty kind to my guns since they are a sizable investment and my ARs show a lot more wear than anything else I own. You even look at them funny and you have a scratch or wear spot...

I also find this to be true about ARs. It has convinced me that re-painting an AR is not something to be too concerned about, if your goal is to shoot it as much as you want. I mean - it's not really a beautiful rifle that should be babied a lot.