First deer with the Ruger SBH Bisley!!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 19,970 Senior Member
Makes it an even 10 deer for the season!

One of of my ranching friends who is also a local Game Warden, called me yesterday and asked if I wanted to take another MLD Tag deer off his place. Heck yeah!!!

I told him I'd like to try and use a revolver and he thought that would be possible. So, I showed up at his place about 5 minutes away from my house around 3:45 and we visited a bit before heading out to the stand. Same one I'd hunted before.

We threw out some corn within 50 yards of the blind in hopes that a management deer would come close enough for a revolver shot.

This time, I'd be using my new Ruger SBH Bisley in .454 Casull. Except, I loaded it with .45 Colt handloads with 250gr Hornady XTP bullets on top of a max 26.5gr H110 and mag primers.

45%20Colt%20Bisley%20Deer%201-21-16%202_zpsxaicw9q5.jpg

Same load I'd used to take a cull buck out of this stand over a month ago with my 24" octagon barreled Rossi M92 with tang/globe sights in .45 Colt. It had worked out of a rifle. Now to try it with a revolver.

Things were slow at first. So, we just visited about shooting and guns while we glassed the country side. Eventually, game began to move and we started seeing whitetail and axis deer venture out of the brush and into the many sendaros.

45%20Colt%20Bisley%20Deer%201-21-16%2013_zpsw7gdv12r.jpg

Around 5:30, we started to see bucks moving in the brush around our stand. Then, they slowly crept out and approached the feeder. BIG.......bucks!

45%20Colt%20Bisley%20Deer%201-21-16%2016_zpsnwrwisqr.jpg

45%20Colt%20Bisley%20Deer%201-21-16%2019_zpsnk8m1mba.jpg

There was also a small 4 point and a 3 point with them. My friend said that if the 3 point decided to come our way, I could take him. I asked him why he wanted me to shoot the young buck and he said, "He should'a been a 4 point." I guess when you have the quality deer he has on his place...........a 3 point don't cut the mustard. I wasn't going to say no.

So, we waited and wait until the bigger bucks got tired of entertaining the little guys and ran them off in our direction..............fortunately. The 4 point and his tag along 3 point then began to feed on the corn we had thrown out near the stand. But, it seemed like it took forever for the 3 point to turn broadside! There I was in the blind......one hand on the Ruger and the other hand on the record button of the camera I had on a tripod next to me. Waiting..........waiting..........waiting for him to turn broadside so I could push record and take the shot.

FINALLY, he turned broadside at 34 yards and I hit record. Acquired a sight picture.........and fired.

Video:
http://vid26.photobucket.com/albums/c106/lovinmycaitlynn/Hunting/45%20Colt%20Bisley%20Deer%201-21-16%204_zpstb5txtvq.mp4

At the shot, he jumped forward and took off running to his right. It felt like a good shot, but you can hear me re-cock the hammer in the video and and aim in on him again as he ran. Traveling about 30 yards around the brush he was next to, he came to a stop and I was about to fire again. But, I saw the legs spread in stabilization..........the head lower.........and he fell over backwards. No shot needed.

45%20Colt%20Bisley%20Deer%201-21-16%207%20-%20Copy_zpsyyx7fgrq.jpg

The yellow line shows the 3 point's route from back in the brush........to the right of the picture.........then to the feeder...........and finally within range.

A - Location of the shot.
B - Where he fell.

45%20Colt%20Bisley%20Deer%201-21-16%2033_zpsftafzxlq.jpg

I am exceptionally pleased with this deer. Not because of his size. That has nothing to do with it. I am pleased because this is my first deer with a .45 Colt revolver..............first deer with my new Ruger SBH Bisley...........and first deer EVER with an iron sighted revolver!!!! Up until this point, I've always used scopes on my handguns to take deer.

I've taken small game with open sights my entire life. I've even taken deer with iron sighted longarms. But, never with an iron sighted revolver. That...........is kinda cool.

It was a perfect quartering away shot that entered the back of the thoracic cavity and angled forward, exiting the off side shoulder. Perfect!

And, I got to spend the time with a good friend in a beautiful place. Watch the sun set and see some gorgeous bucks. Good times.

The gun doesn't make the hunt. The size of the animal doesn't make the hunt. All the experiences combined and shared with good friends............make the hunt.

45%20Colt%20Bisley%20Deer%201-21-16%2028%20-%20Copy_zpstqcd3skl.jpg
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,162 Senior Member
    Photo bucket link is not working for me, nice shot there hey, did you use sticks/knees to rest the gun?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,970 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Photo bucket link is not working for me, nice shot there hey, did you use sticks/knees to rest the gun?

Weird. The link works for me. If others have issues, I'll post it again.

I rested the frame in front of the trigger guard on the carpeted window sill you see the gun leaning against in the above picture. Then, rested the heel of my hand on the carpeted shelf for the shot.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,852 Senior Member
    Cool.
    You get a pass on this one for the method used.
    But points deducted for being a wuss and using 45 colt in the Casul.
    Neat video, that deer jumped straight and said "WHOA! BRUSH!"
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    cpj wrote: »
    Cool.
    You get a pass on this one for the method used.
    But points deducted for being a wuss and using 45 colt in the Casul.
    Neat video, that deer jumped straight and said "WHOA! BRUSH!"

I've taken a deer with a .454 Casull and one of Joe's cast bullets from a revolver. But, I'd never taken a deer with a .45 Colt from a revolver. I needed to check that box. This gun shot those loads so well, I figured it a good platform to use.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,145 Senior Member
    Nice report as usual. I do envy your hunting opportunities and appreciate that you share them with us. Pretty cool video, I noticed the pass through shot, you can see the bullet impact in the brush just beyond your deer.

Sako
    sakodude wrote: »
    Nice report as usual. I do envy your hunting opportunities and appreciate that you share them with us. Pretty cool video, I noticed the pass through shot, you can see the bullet impact in the brush just beyond your deer.

Sako

Thanks. I'll get the autopsy up this afternoon.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,671 Senior Member
    Another nice shot there Zedrick! That is one purdy gun, too.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Another nice shot there Zedrick! That is one purdy gun, too.

Much thanks.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Good shot with open sights.

The slightly shorter cartridge seems to work well in the long chambers.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,445 Senior Member
    Very nice! Great shot.

Btw, I would have culled that buck as well
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    6.5" Ruger SBH Bisley
    .45 Colt
    250gr Hornady XTP
    Muzzle Velocity: 1,365 fps
    Distance: 34 yards
    Angle: Quartering Away
    Impact Velocity: 1,237 fps (est.)
    Distance Traveled: 30 yards (est.)

Entrance
    .45%20Colt%20with%20250gr%20%20XTP%20Autopsy%202_zpse5by2kpk.jpg

Entrance Under Hide
    .45%20Colt%20with%20250gr%20%20XTP%20Autopsy%203_zpsj2crelxx.jpg

Entrance to Ribs
    .45%20Colt%20with%20250gr%20%20XTP%20Autopsy%204_zpsm3ornxnn.jpg

Thoracic Cavity
    .45%20Colt%20with%20250gr%20%20XTP%20Autopsy%209_zpsnm4wrh2y.jpg

.45%20Colt%20with%20250gr%20%20XTP%20Autopsy%2010_zpsue5aan1a.jpg

Entrance Left Lung
    .45%20Colt%20with%20250gr%20%20XTP%20Autopsy%2011_zpsyx8mlwoa.jpg

Damage to Lungs & Top of Heart
    .45%20Colt%20with%20250gr%20%20XTP%20Autopsy%2013_zpssynl3vv8.jpg

Exit Right Lung
    .45%20Colt%20with%20250gr%20%20XTP%20Autopsy%2012_zpsvnbybzi4.jpg

Exit Ribs
    .45%20Colt%20with%20250gr%20%20XTP%20Autopsy%2015_zpsw0fooymf.jpg

.45%20Colt%20with%20250gr%20%20XTP%20Autopsy%208_zps9guypqcy.jpg

Entrance to Right Shoulder
    .45%20Colt%20with%20250gr%20%20XTP%20Autopsy%207_zpsy78nb8sg.jpg

.45%20Colt%20with%20250gr%20%20XTP%20Autopsy%206_zps9bwruava.jpg

Exit Right Shoulder
    .45%20Colt%20with%20250gr%20%20XTP%20Autopsy%205_zpso3nv3iqx.jpg

Exit Through Hide
    .45%20Colt%20with%20250gr%20%20XTP%20Autopsy%201_zpssujvzbzd.jpg
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,570 Senior Member
    Excellent hunt and report once again Zee. As usual, your photographic skills do the scene justice.

Loved the video.

When I first looked at the pics of the entry and exit wounds, I couldn't figure out why, if you were shooting from a stand, the entry wound seemed to be lower than the exit wound. Watching the video cleared that up. ( I envisaged the deer standing broadside on with its head up)

Details of the camera if you could please. ( Did you use the same camera for both video and stills?)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I see everything here through my phone, but it looks like it chewed more meat than the 445 sm.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Thank you, once again, for an excellent writeup. I noticed you are using the cold steel Canadian belt knife often of late. I take it you still approve? I will have to get one.
    It's because I hate Trump.
    orchidman wrote: »
    Excellent hunt and report once again Zee. As usual, your photographic skills do the scene justice.

Loved the video.

When I first looked at the pics of the entry and exit wounds, I couldn't figure out why, if you were shooting from a stand, the entry wound seemed to be lower than the exit wound. Watching the video cleared that up. ( I envisaged the deer standing broadside on with its head up)

Details of the camera if you could please. ( Did you use the same camera for both video and stills?)

Thank you!

Yes, the deer's angle and the fact he is "leaning" to his right at the shot made the entrance lower than the exit. One of those positional anomalies.

Used the same camera for the stills and the video. It is a Nikin CoolPix S6800. Not a very expensive camera. Maybe around $150 now. I am not exceptionally pleased with the clarity (pixels) of the images. There is no comparison to my larger Nikons. But, the advantage to this camera is that it fits in my back pocket and not take up half my backpack like my other cameras do. So, it is a trade off. The pictures aren't as nice..........but it's a fraction of the size and weight.
    early wrote: »
    I see everything here through my phone, but it looks like it chewed more meat than the 445 sm.

Not really. The lower velocity of the Colt bullet actually caused less internal damage. As you can see from the picture of the thoracic cavity with the lungs inside, there is very little hydrostatic damage to the lungs. Just a hole through them with some permanent cavity damage to the inside of the lungs and top of the heart where the bullet actually passed. This bullet, having struck only two ribs (1 in and 1 out) stayed together and drove through. Unknown as to how much expansion occurred as the bullet exited.

The .445 SM on the other hand, struck a large bone on entrance and destroyed the on side shoulder for all practical purposes. Such an initial impact at such a high velocity caused the bullet to shed it's jacket just inside the thoracic cavity. With only the core traveling through the lungs, less damage was caused to them as well. But, I'm pretty sure, had the .445 SM bullet NOT struck that shoulder bone on entry, we would have seen considerable hydrostatic damage as compared to the .45 Colt.

"Speed kills" and the Super Mag has A LOT more speed!!!
    Thank you, once again, for an excellent writeup. I noticed you are using the cold steel Canadian belt knife often of late. I take it you still approve? I will have to get one.

I still approve. Been trying to give it a decent run this year. Next year........I try something else. Just trying new things and testing them out.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,041 Senior Member
    Looking good! I've kept my .41 mag sans scope with the hope of doing exactly what you just did right there: open-sighted revolver hunt. It's also good to see that there's clearly plenty of pop in a .45 Colt revolver to do that kind of damage to deer vitals.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,450 Senior Member
    Fantastic work! Props for using iron sights. Gives me hope for the future.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.