Home Main Category General Firearms

Savage Hog Hunter "upgrades"

tubabucknuttubabucknut BannedPosts: 3,520 Senior Member
I have two. One in 338 win mag, and one in 308. If I wanted to add a detachable mag like the model 10 has, is this doable? Do I just need a factory mag plate, and appropriate magazine? Can I mod/mill the factory stock to accept the mag plate? It looks like it is roughed in as is.

What is the suggested trigger upgrade. The factory trigger is better than the Remington, but sucks compared to the Timneys on my Rems. Is the Timney just as good for the Savage?

Thanks

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I am looking at at Sharp Shooters Supply Competition trigger for my Savage upgrade.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Thanks Farmboy. I had not heard of that trigger and will look into it. I know they make mags and such.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I had a rifle basix.
    It was ok, took a bit of fitting though.

As for detachable mags, that's a good question. From what I've been told, Savage will sell you the parts. If you have a gun that originally came with them. And they take the serial number to confirm. So, find a gun with them, snag the SN. IIRC, the parts weren't all that expensive through them.
    The Timney is $60 less than the Rifle Basix. So if it is only "OK" then it is just out. I really like the Timneys on my Rems.

Are you BSing me? Savage won't sell the parts unless I have a serial number for a rifle with the parts? That is some bull manure if I ever heard of it.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,923 Senior Member
    The Timney is $60 less than the Rifle Basix. So if it is only "OK" then it is just out. I really like the Timneys on my Rems.

Are you BSing me? Savage won't sell the parts unless I have a serial number for a rifle with the parts? That is some bull manure if I ever heard of it.

Savage has several different variants of the same model based on when, exactly, it was built...action screw spacing, etc is different in each variant. Knowing the serial number will allow them to get you the right parts...I have several Model 10FPs and each of them took a different replacement stock...Bottom Metal can differ from variant to variant..
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"