Conjugal visit with my Silencerco Sparrow 22 silencer

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 6,864 Senior Member
Despite the ATF's best efforts, I got to shoot my Sparrow 22 silencer today. Even without the paperwork, I am able to shoot it at the dealer's range. The threaded barrel came in the mail this morning, so I did just that.

The barrel is a Twin Tech tactical standard length OEM replacement. It matches the length of the normal SR-22 factory barrel and uses a hidden thread protector, looking much like the Walther P22 factory barrel. When you want to mount the silencer, you simply remove the thread protector with a 7/16" box wrench and replace it with the 1/2" x 28 silencer thread adapter.

IMG_2610_zps7kj2lmtd.jpg

IMG_2612_zps9zwae7nv.jpg

With the threaded adapter attached:

IMG_2614_zpsmym4hatf.jpg

Screw on the can and then you're ready to rock:

Silenced%20SR-22_zpsulxcvgrf.jpg

I put the gun through it's paces using Norma TAC-22 subsonic 40 gr. ammo to start, and it shot extremely well out of this gun. Cycling was excellent and accuracy was really good with the aftermarket barrel. There were only very occasional flyers and the POI dropped less than an inch or so from my normal zero with the can on. I also tried some Eley match ammo that is also with the expectation that it might not cycle well. To my surprise, it also shot very consistently and cycled well. Federal automatch bulk ammo cycled just fine, but the sonic crack was clear as day.

Here's a short video of me shooting the TAC-22 at 15 feet. It's on the very high end of subsonic, clocking 1,100 fps advertised speed, and a few were hot enough to generate a sonic crack. Hopefully, I get my hands on some of the 700 fps stuff out there and really see what this thing can do. The TAC-22 is great shooting, but it's also a little oily and gets the gun dirty in a hurry. Toward the end of a fairly extensive shooting session, the gunk did lead to minor difficulty feeding the first round using just the slide release.

All in all, I'm very happy with the performance of both the barrel and the suppressor. Now for the long wait for the ATF to get off of their duff and send my tax stamp.
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,181 Senior Member
    I don't like you.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,864 Senior Member
    Two words for you, Jerm: SE shoot :wink:
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,181 Senior Member
    I mean.... yea ATF... move your freaking butts!!! My best buddy Sixgun needs his silencer.
    God willing, I will just squeak in there in time to get it for the shoot. The guys at the shop said that things are drastically improved right now for getting paperwork back from them.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,341 Senior Member
    Sweet! I have the same suppressor and am running it on a Walther P-22. I have been thinking of getting an SR-22, sounds like it might be a good combo from your report.
    Congrats on the soon to be new toy!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    timc wrote: »
    Sweet! I have the same suppressor and am running it on a Walther P-22. I have been thinking of getting an SR-22, sounds like it might be a good combo from your report.
    Congrats on the soon to be new toy!

Thanks a lot! The Walther is a helluva great gun. I owned one some time ago until a burglary in my old apartment. The police recovered the gun, but I wanted no part of it since I had no clue what had been done with it in the brief time it was out of my possession.

The one setup I'm really starting to mull is a Pac-Lite upper for my Ruger MkII. That makes for a killer combination of an excellent factory trigger, a light-weight upper, and instant suppressor compatibility with a gun that I already own.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,000 Senior Member
    I was looking at that same suppressor the other day.

I like that Pac Lite upper but isn't that the serialized part? So you are buying another gun, then you are going to be swapping your one grip frame back and forth. What a FREAKING hassle.

Enter the MkIII Lite.
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/91587/ruger_3906_2245_lite_10+1_22lr_44

For $100 or just a little less there is no swapping the ONE grip frame back and forth back and forth back and forth
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Yeah, it's a hassle, but the MkII trigger is just so damned nice and not subject to the trigger disconnect of the newer Mk series pistols. They sell those Ruger 22/45 setups at my local shop and several different versions in stock, threaded and ready to go, but I don't know how much I will like it compared to my MkII trigger.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,447 Senior Member
    A .22cal can would be.......fun.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Gonna be even more fun when I get my .22 mag rifle back from the gunsmith, threaded and ready for action. :cool2:

I went in on Thursday and should be done in about a month and a half.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,880 Senior Member
    That is fantastic. I bet you purposely did not show your face in the video because of the goofy little kid type grin you had.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Oh, it was hoot. I really want to get it to an outdoor range to get a better overall feel for how quiet it is, but that's clearly gonna be a while. I mean, you can already hear the action snapping shut in the video. I can only imagine how cool it will be when the residual sound actually has some place to dissipate.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,385 Senior Member
    Awesome!
    I'm so jealous.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,063 Senior Member
    Man I seriously need a 22 suppressor. I should do it before the new "law" makes using my trust practically useless.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,063 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I mean.... yea ATF... move your freaking butts!!! My best buddy Sixgun needs his silencer.

My process for the Griffin Armament including the form 3 transfer was April of 2015 and I took delivery on December 21st 2015.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,070 Senior Member
    If this House bill ever starts to gain traction, I'll be looking at suppressors.

Introduced in House (10/22/2015)
    Hearing Protection Act of 2015
    This bill amends the Internal Revenue Code to: (1) eliminate the $200 transfer tax on firearm silencers, and (2) treat any person who acquires or possesses a firearm silencer as meeting any registration or licensing requirements of the National Firearms Act with respect to such silencer. Any person who pays a tax on a silencer after October 22, 2015 may receive a refund of such tax.
    The bill amends the federal criminal code to preempt state or local laws that tax or regulate firearm silencers.
    jbohio wrote: »
    Awesome!
    I'm so jealous.

As soon as this thing gets out of the joint, we need to have a backyard range day, if you're down. Ammo is on me!
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Man I seriously need a 22 suppressor. I should do it before the new "law" makes using my trust practically useless.

The trust thing is what bumped this purchase to the top of my list. As for the wait, my original silencer purchase from a few years back took about 5 months. The guys at the shop said he ones they have been filing lately have been getting turned a lot faster. I really hope another panic doesn't come along to change that while this one is in process.

The biggest thing I was about with a rimfire suppressor was the versatility. Sure, you can't kill the sonic noise from anything faster than a standard velocity .22 LR, but I can still greatly reduce the noise on at least 3 of my rimfire guns. That make for an incredible option in predator hunting given that they are legal to hunt with in this state.
    bisley wrote: »
    If this House bill ever starts to gain traction, I'll be looking at suppressors.

Introduced in House (10/22/2015)
    Hearing Protection Act of 2015
    This bill amends the Internal Revenue Code to: (1) eliminate the $200 transfer tax on firearm silencers, and (2) treat any person who acquires or possesses a firearm silencer as meeting any registration or licensing requirements of the National Firearms Act with respect to such silencer. Any person who pays a tax on a silencer after October 22, 2015 may receive a refund of such tax.
    The bill amends the federal criminal code to preempt state or local laws that tax or regulate firearm silencers.

It would be great if that NFA tax nullification bill passed, but I'm not optimistic. The Fed has never been keen on giving up a revenue stream voluntarily. We hear all of this banter about how they want gun ownership in the states to be more like Europe/Australia when it comes to confiscation and limits, but when it comes to suppressors/silencers they push to keep everything 180 degrees from how it is in Europe (where you can pretty much buy one over-the-counter).