Cheap way to get a "G19".

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 19,447 Senior Member
I had a G19 many years ago and like a fool, sold it to get a G17. I've regretted it ever since. Currently, I have a gen 3 Glock 23C in .40 S&W.

I've heard this gun can be used in the attempt to set your shirt on fire, but that doing so will embed fragments in your stomach.........for years. It also, due to the ports on top, will pepper your face with shrapnel when fired from Position 2.

Well, because of the above, I've been planning to get a non ported barrel for the gun. I've also been wanting to get another G19 to replace the one from years ago.

Then, I ran across this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/582972/lone-wolf-conversion-barrel-glock-23-40-s-and-w-to-9mm-luger-1-in-16-twist-402-stainless-steel

It's a replacement conversion barrel for the G23 that will step the gun down to 9mm. I already have a butt load of 19 & 17 magazines.

Figured, I can kill two birds with one stone for a fraction of the price! I can scratch the G19 itch and keep the G23 option when needed/wanted.

Thoughts? Experience with the conversion barrels?
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,725 Senior Member
    I have one of those barrels for my G21. I wanted a threaded barrel for suppressor use. No complaints.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,067 Senior Member
    http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=919645&CAT=8073

LW's newest iteration. It would also be worth the extra money, simply because I like the black MUCH better than the stainless. I've talked to a few folks that said that they needed 9mm specific ejectors to get their conversions to run, but IME a G22 and a G33 both ran with just a barrel and magazine swap.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,447 Senior Member
    I plan to wait until the barrels go on sale or Midway has that discount coupon they run periodically. I can live with the stainless if I can get it for under $100.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,661 Senior Member
    I am curious as to how well that's actually going to work, but not curious enough to try it:

1. .40 has a wider breech face, so a 9mm extractor won't grip as hard on the rim. The grip will be even weaker as crud inevitably gets under the extractor and prevents it from pivoting inward fully.

2. Does that barrel/slide combo properly center the round/firing pin/primer, or does it center it "close enough"?

3. Ejector on a .40 will be farther outboard. Coupled with the weaker extractor grip on the rim, is the gun running, or is it running on the edge of a stovepipe malfunction?

Brother, it's a GLOCK, in other words, it's already the dirt-cheap option for a reliable go-to-war pistol. It's not like you're taking out a second mortgage to finance your second Les Baer. Do it right or don't do it at all - new Glock 19; new portless barrel for the 23.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,684 Senior Member
    For a couple of hundred bucks you can get a Glock slide and barrel of any model for the frame you have. Even better, buy the gun you really want and sell that silly 23C. There are a BILLION used 23s out there you can buy for a song if you keep your eyes open. I see them in the 300s all the time.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    114 Reviews

106 - 5 Stars
    6 - 4 Stars
    2 - 3 Stars

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suspect that it works relatively well considering the reviews.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,661 Senior Member
    Party on Wayne. . .but check my new signature line first.:jester:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    I agree.

There still is the option of just putting a factory G23 barrel in the gun. It's only $40 more and alleviates the shrapnel of the ports.

If the conversion barrel doesn't work, I can always return it.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 990 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I agree.

There still is the option of just putting a factory G23 barrel in the gun. It's only $40 more and alleviates the shrapnel of the ports.

If the conversion barrel doesn't work, I can always return it.

Shrapnel from the ports?

IMHO - conversion kits are rarely a good solution. Adequate sometimes. Never great.

If you want a deal on a G19, look for a trade-in?
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,970 Senior Member
    Shrapnel from the ports?

You had to be there to appreciate it fully....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,666 Senior Member
    Watch for them on Summit Gun Broker... he does a lot of Police buy backs.

http://summitgunbroker.com/22--349.html

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    You had to be there to appreciate it fully....

A sight to behold.
    If you want a deal on a G19, look for a trade-in?

If I go the full gun route, I have contacts for getting them.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,581 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    If I go the full gun route, I have contacts for getting them.

Its not like you have too many or something... :jester:

We'll be waiting for the pictures and range report.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    You want the barrel, go for the barrel. I've read that the Loaded Chamber Indicator extractors work better with this conversion, while standard extractors have mixed reviews. I haven't swapped calibers on a Glock, but a nine millimeter barrel did work just fine in my Beretta 96 (40 Short and Weak), with no other parts changed.

Though I'd probably just save the extra four hundred or so (probably less) and buy a whole new gun. Can't have too many.

Actually, since nobody seems to have direct experience with the conversion, you better do it now. FOR SCIENCE! I'd try it first, but I'm lacking a forty cal Glock, and my garage is demanding my remaining time and money.

Rereading, I see it worked well for Eli, so that's a sample of one. I trust we can count on you to expand that.
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
    toymachine wrote: »
    Actually, since nobody seems to have direct experience with the conversion, you better do it now. FOR SCIENCE! I'd try it first, but I'm lacking a forty cal Glock, and my garage is demanding my remaining time and money.

Finally!!! A proper enable!

You guys were killing my joy.

:-)

But, I appreciate all the input. Seriously.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,145 Senior Member
    .40 S&W Glocks are bad for a trigger finger, get one and you will have to give up shooting
    I have a need for speed