Found my subsonic 308Win load.

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,063 Senior Member
I FINALLY got to the range today after neglecting it for couple months. My performance was lackluster-to-meh. My FN PBR did her part with my inconsistencies factored in. I held 1-MOA, but nothing much better. The suppressor on the FN...amazing. But in digress to my topic...

Theae little beauties...

20160221_1442102_edit_1456112853100.jpg

I was originally going to load them in the .30-30WCF Savage 340A. Decided to try then in the Ruger GSR and I brought two loads: 11gr Trailboss and 10.5gr Trailboss. The 11gr load was about 1180fps. On hot days that ammo will be well into supersonic. 10.5gr gave me 1055fps. The winner for now.

No target pics, I only chrono'ed on the 25 yard backers. But it was a tiny cloverleaf group. Promising, but subsonic bullets do shifty things between 75 and 100 yards. I'll load up some from 10.0 to 10.5 and see what happens. I'd like 1000fps consistently.

Oh, and no leading. They are lubed, gas checked bullets. They should work well.
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,458 Senior Member
    Looks good.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,119 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    I FINALLY got to the range today after neglecting it for couple months. My performance was lackluster-to-meh. My FN PBR did her part with my inconsistencies factored in. I held 1-MOA, but nothing much better. The suppressor on the FN...amazing. But in digress to my topic...

    Theae little beauties...

    20160221_1442102_edit_1456112853100.jpg

    I was originally going to load them in the .30-30WCF Savage 340A. Decided to try then in the Ruger GSR and I brought two loads: 11gr Trailboss and 10.5gr Trailboss. The 11gr load was about 1180fps. On hot days that ammo will be well into supersonic. 10.5gr gave me 1055fps. The winner for now.

    No target pics, I only chrono'ed on the 25 yard backers. But it was a tiny cloverleaf group. Promising, but subsonic bullets do shifty things between 75 and 100 yards. I'll load up some from 10.0 to 10.5 and see what happens. I'd like 1000fps consistently.

    Oh, and no leading. They are lubed, gas checked bullets. They should work well.

    Nah at that velocity with gas checks, you're good to go. And yep, coming out the barrel on a hot day the 11 grain loads will probably have a fair crack to them. But it won't last long. By the time they get out to about fifty yards they should be subsonic.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    You can use IMR Trail Boss for jacketed bullets too. Might give you more bullet weight options. Not sure of difference in economy. Them gas checked pills bump up the cost of plain lead a bit.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,458 Senior Member
    I'm running Trail Boss and the 208gr A-Max for my .308 Win sub loads.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,063 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    You can use IMR Trail Boss for jacketed bullets too. Might give you more bullet weight options. Not sure of difference in economy. Them gas checked pills bump up the cost of plain lead a bit.
    Zee wrote: »
    I'm running Trail Boss and the 208gr A-Max for my .308 Win sub loads.

    I've tried the 208gr Amax, but at 1050 fps, the 1:10 twist on my Ruger GSR doesn't stabilize well enough. It's about 3" at 100 yards. I think Zee uses a 300BO 1:8 twist barrel reamed out for 308Win?

    175 SMK work very well, but have cost prohibition. Plus, my theory is FN bullets are designed for lower velocity penetration and flight so will likely wound animals better.

    We'll see.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,458 Senior Member
    Tis true, my barrel has a 1-8" twist rate.

    Another case for fast twist barrels. It shoots 125gr bullets exceptionally well to boot!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Sign In or Register to comment.