Home Main Category General Firearms

New Colt Delta Elite 10mm

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
I got lucky. A gun I put on consignment at a tiny mom & pop shop near me sold in just 2 weeks. That meant that I could now buy the new Colt Delta Elite 10mm that I had seen in there during my last visit.

A few minutes of paperwork and she was mine!

IMG_2615_zpsg8kvkazo.jpg

IMG_2620_zpskk2mz4xr.jpg

IMG_2621_zpsjkwi6wqc.jpg

IMG_2627_zpsp5cf2yd3.jpg

The beauty of the situation is that since I already own and reload for a .40 S&W pistol, the Dillon dies that I've been using for years will also work to load 10mm auto. I just ordered the appropriate brass and some 180 gr. bullets from Midway, and should be all set to start shooting by early next week.
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Thoroughbred:love:

You Elitist!
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,541 Senior Member
    A devout "Non-Colt" handgun fan, I will say I'm happy another Colt has been taken off the market.

;-)
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,372 Senior Member
    Always lusted after one of those. Awesome addition, congrats.

Sako
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Thanks, boys. I'm excited figure out a decent hunting load for it and take it out for deer.
    Zee wrote: »
    A devout "Non-Colt" handgun fan, I will say I'm happy another Colt has been taken off the market.

;-)

No sweat. I will being taking another stainless ambi-safety off the market to go with it soon enough. We correct-handed shooters have issue with these factory guns showing up defective out of the box.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,212 Senior Member
    [video]
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    DO NOT CHANGE A THING... but if you do make sure you have all the original parts left where you know where they are at. One of my favorite 1911's...congrats, they are shooters.
    cpj wrote: »
    How da f......?
    You pause the video, scroll down to "share" and it will give you an option to start the video at a certain mark. If you look at my link, you can see that I have it starting at 11 seconds. Kind of a neat trick!
    -Thomas Paine
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    That's sweet. Please bring it to the SE Shoot so I can fondle it.

First 10mm I reloaded were 180 gr HPs and they worked great, very accurate. I have some 155 gr FMJs I'm going to try one of these days, they should scream. Only thing is you have to buy brass, don't find much of it at the range and my RIA flings it about 100 yds.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    BAMAAK -

Oh, I can definitely bring it along. Yeah, I'm going to be chasing my brass all over town to keep as much of it around as possible. It's not like 9mm where you can show up to the range with 50 rounds ad leave the range with 100 spent casings after you scavenge a bit. I was actually surprised at how cheap it was for new Starline brass, but I still don't want to make a habit of buying much more than this first batch.
    I can bring a WHOLE LOT of 10mm plinking ammo. I got a nice stash. We can run that Colt against my Kimber and they will both have the proper safeties on them.
    -Thomas Paine
    There ya go! It would actually be beneficial to see how your plinking ammo shoots. Are these handloads? What grain weight?
    I got factory, handloads, various weights. A little of everything.
    -Thomas Paine
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,669 Senior Member
    My buddy sold his, regrets it, he said it LAUNCHED brass, but it would darn near drop the brass into a 5 gallon pail if he did his part.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Good to know and that makes sense. This sucker is going to have a lot of recoil and the dual recoil springs are evidence of that fact.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Congrats on the 10mm :applause::applause:..........I wouldn't change a thing, at least until I put it through its paces.

Been a couple decades, but I fired a Delta Elite and it was fun, snappy compared to a .45, but put a smile on my face. Only issues I ever remember about them (early ones) was the pounding they took from using basically a 1911 firing much higher pressure 10 mm loads and the slide ad frame got beat pretty hard. I can't remember if they enhanced them, put much stronger recoil springs in them or what. I haven't heard much more about that issue since, though.

Range report when you can :guns: :guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,026 Senior Member
    :yousuck:

I would probably trade in a Glock 20 for one of those.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Very cool Louis :yousuck:
    Sounds like my kind of place.
    Go recon the S&W.s for me :jester:
  • wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 1,004 Senior Member
    Congratulations on a real nice acquisition. My favorite caliber! If you like firing a magnum, you'll enjoy the feel of firing full house loads out of the Delta.
    Mine are in blue and one has Novak fiber optic sights that make a big difference when coming up on your target.
    Time to get yourself one of these if you own a vehicle with a trailer hitch. :beer:

DSCN0113.jpg

“When guns are outlawed, only patriots will have guns.”
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,633 Senior Member
    Nice :up:
    :yousuck:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Ned -

Glock actually got my attention with their MOS (Modular Optic System). It offers the ability to put a reflex sight on the gun. That would fill the hunting niche well...if the scope can take the beating of being directly mounted to a 10mm slide. That was the big concern that ultimately steered me back toward the Delta Elite.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Congrats on the 10mm :applause::applause:..........I wouldn't change a thing, at least until I put it through its paces.

Been a couple decades, but I fired a Delta Elite and it was fun, snappy compared to a .45, but put a smile on my face. Only issues I ever remember about them (early ones) was the pounding they took from using basically a 1911 firing much higher pressure 10 mm loads and the slide ad frame got beat pretty hard. I can't remember if they enhanced them, put much stronger recoil springs in them or what. I haven't heard much more about that issue since, though.

Range report when you can :guns: :guns:

Big Chief -

I definitely did my homework before committing to the Delta for the very issue you bring up. Apparently, the original Deltas had a frame cracking issue right near the slide release. Colt determined that the problem was purely of cosmetic consequence and made no difference functionally or from a safety standpoint. Their solution was to simply mill out the problem area and let the gun's design go on about its business. The new production guns like mine are milled accordingly like pic below. It's a good comparison of the old frame design (blued example) versus the new (stainless example).

Deltaframecut.jpg
    Weatherby wrote: »
    Very cool Louis :yousuck:
    Sounds like my kind of place.
    Go recon the S&W.s for me :jester:

It really is a cool little place, and I do mean little! There were 4 of us in there and it felt packed, but they clearly get good foot traffic. Much like an old fashioned neighborhood hardware store, they're a bastion for the stuff you won't find at the big places. After I got my silencer, it was impossible to find reasonably priced subsonic ammo on the shelf at the big box stores or online. One stop at this shop turned up 8 boxes of Fiocchi subsonic ammo for significantly cheaper than Midway had it listed before shipping! Oh, and they do carry some cool S&W stuff.
    wizard78 wrote: »
    Congratulations on a real nice acquisition. My favorite caliber! If you like firing a magnum, you'll enjoy the feel of firing full house loads out of the Delta.
    Mine are in blue and one has Novak fiber optic sights that make a big difference when coming up on your target.
    Time to get yourself one of these if you own a vehicle with a trailer hitch. :beer:

I really want to see how it feels compared to my .41 mag revolver. Time will tell if I end up going to an adjustable sight on this gun. I really want POA/POI consensus.
    Curse you Louis........I've been trying to avoid another cartridge but the lure of the dark side is strong with this one.

42226f6f-36b0-4da7-ad81-fc8a768710e3_zps5zpqrqy3.jpg
    Hey, if the price is right... :win:

Oh, and I expect a range report. :tooth:
    When it comes to spending other people's money, payback's a B...

:jester:
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,723 Senior Member
    Please replace that awful MSH.
    Agreed. Get a steel one in there to replace the plastic.
    Overkill is underrated.
    I was just thinking out having it sent off to Chriswerks to have him angle grind that puppy flat.

In all seriousness, the mainspring housing should be a non-factor.
    They do look pretty sweet. I'm going to shoot it with the rubber boots first and see how much angst my hands incur first. I love the look and feel of slick-sides grip panels, but the recoil/controllability in 10mm might make them just too impractical.
    Those grips. FIND THEM.

I agree with the little French guy
    Oh snap. It's plastic? AND arched? Eww.

Yep. They are nylon. Reading around, there are more compliments than complaints, however. Some claim the gun balances better. Don't know if I buy that, but we'll see.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,723 Senior Member
    I've found that in my hands, a plastic (nylon) MSH makes the balance worse. I prefer steel.

To me the only place for a synthetic material on a 1911 are the grips and if you have a fiber optic sight.
    Overkill is underrated.