Home Main Category General Firearms

Gun related estate planning question.

calebibcalebib Senior MemberPosts: 1,701 Senior Member
What sort of provisions does one need to make in their will to account for firearms? I don't own any NFA firearms or accessories and I don't have much interest in doing so, at the moment at least. I do have a decent collection that I want to ensure that in the event of my demise, my wife has the legal ability to take possession and dispose of them at her discretion, I do not have any other heirs. I don't believe that an NFA trust is the correct course of action. I'd also like to avoid having to give the government a detailed list of what I currently own, it's none of their damned business. I've read about revocable trusts but it seems to require doing just that. Can anyone give me their two cents or point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,392 Senior Member
    Can't give you any help, since the laws concerning estate planning vary by state.

Here in Alabama, unless I specifically write a will to the contrary, everything of "mine" becomes "hers" after I die
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,426 Senior Member
    I'm looking into a trust and such since i do have some NFA toys.

But imo and what i would do is to look for some legal advise in your neck of the woods that is familiar with such things. Im sure youre not the only person in town with the same issues or questions.

If you have any local gun shows in your area, id ask around who and what they do if they are locals. you can also search your local attorneys for ones that can give you some advise on it. It may cost you some bucks up front, but imo, its $$ well spent.

there are certain legal things that will happen upon your passing so that there are some things you cant avoid.

Id make sure your loved one has a listing of the toys you have at the time and relevant info as to purchase price/date and such. Even notes if its a "one of a kind" toy so that if it sold, that info is known up front. also any history of that toy would be of help too.

I'm selling off most of my toys now just to whittle down the list to a more manageable level. there will still be toys to deal with, but not as many.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,270 Senior Member
    Since you don't have any NFA items there is no need to address guns separately if they and all other property are going to the same person.

If NFA items are included the specific model and serial number needs to be listed in the will.
  • calebibcalebib Senior Member Posts: 1,701 Senior Member
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    I never pondered any of this. I planned on being buried in a piano case and taking them all with me.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    I plan to be like that "secret agent" fellow, out in California. If the local PD wants to investigate the non-crime of how I acquired my firearms and ammo, it's their budget to squander on paperwork, I guess. I also have several business cards of local gun shops in my safe, so my next of kin have a starting place if they want to sell it off.
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs