Home Main Category General Firearms

What cleaning solvents/products are you all using?

2»

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    It looks as though Midway carries it.

I really do caution on overdoing your cleaning on your firearms. I wrote a piece a dozen plus years ago on barrel breakin and why it's a waist of time. I had detailed interviews and Q&A sessions with many barrel makers, metallurgist's and some of the top gunsmiths in the country. A micro thin film of copper in your barrel is a great thing to have. It helps fill in the micro pours of the barrel. I had some very detailed talks with Hart Barrels, Doug Shilen at Shilen barrels,Mike Rock of Rock Creek, Broughton Barrels, and Frank at Bartlien barrels. Never clean your barrel so well that you remove the burnish. Also they will all tell you they replace a lot of barrels that we're damaged from improper cleaning and that had cleaning rod scratches down the bore. There's a ton more on this and what I wrote.

I posted a video here a while back from a Snipershide interview with Frank at Bartlein barrels. It was part of the 3 piece interview showing how Bartlein makes their barrels. It was really cool. The question of cleaning and barrel breakin came up during the interview and Frank confirmed much of what I had already written on the subject.

Just my advice or 2 cents on the subject, keep your firearms cleaned and well oiled/greased where they need to be. Don't over do it and go crazy. Hence why I only clean mine at the end of hunting season. I also have a bore scope which helps me really see what my interior bore really looks like!

If you want to read my write up, it's a sticky on the Snipershide forum under the Gunsmith section

Well my friend, can we agree to disagree? Actually, I have come to believe that unless you shoot competitively and your competition requires grouping very minute groups and you're looking for every bit of advantage you can squeeze out of your rifle, barrel breakin is sort of a moot point. I do use an abbreviated breakin procedure only because I've come to realize that my new barrels stopped picking up excess copper after about 5 or 10 rounds, and this didn't happen abruptly but over the course of those 10 rounds. And truthfully, it might have stopped picking up copper without any extra cleaning. Why do I do it? Because it's easy, and because I don't think it requires enough cleaning that it could damage my rifle if I use good cleaning techniques. I shoot-clean five times. After that I just don't let it go over 10 rounds without cleaning. That's it and it's not really much different than just using plain good gun hygiene.

But you knew when you wrote this that I wasn't going to keep entirely quiet and not say anything,

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,112 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Well my friend, can we agree to disagree? Actually, I have come to believe that unless you shoot competitively and your competition requires grouping very minute groups and you're looking for every bit of advantage you can squeeze out of your rifle, barrel breakin is sort of a moot point. I do use an abbreviated breakin procedure only because I've come to realize that my new barrels stopped picking up excess copper after about 5 or 10 rounds, and this didn't happen abruptly but over the course of those 10 rounds. And truthfully, it might have stopped picking up copper without any extra cleaning. Why do I do it? Because it's easy, and because I don't think it requires enough cleaning that it could damage my rifle if I use good cleaning techniques. I shoot-clean five times. After that I just don't let it go over 10 rounds without cleaning. That's it and it's not really much different than just using plain good gun hygiene.

But you knew when you wrote this that I wasn't going to keep entirely quiet and not say anything,

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Snake 284,

I knew you'd be the first one to chime in. Actually I almost put a quick note in the write up that was going to read "Snake 284 this ones for you" :win::win:
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,270 Senior Member
    That KG-12 looks impressive, might need to try some...
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Hoppe's No. 9 and 3in1 oil. Never needed anything else for over half a century. Everything is clean and rust-free.