Home Main Category General Firearms

New Colt Delta Elite 10mm

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    I've found that in my hands, a plastic (nylon) MSH makes the balance worse. I prefer steel.

To me the only place for a synthetic material on a 1911 are the grips and if you have a fiber optic sight.
    Yeah, it could make it worse. I want to see how it feels fully loaded and then I'll make that determination. If it needs it, I'll yank the nylon one and store it in case the desire/need ever comes along to sell the gun. Right now, it looks too damned sexy to even ponder that, but you never know how you'll feel and a few years.
    cpj wrote: »
    Cough coughpussiecough coughgirlymancoughcough coughmanginacoughcough

What can I say...I'm a practical guy.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,533 Senior Member
    If you want a stainless, grooved, flat one... let me know. I have a takeoff you can use.
    Overkill is underrated.
    If you want a stainless, grooved, flat one... let me know. I have a takeoff you can use.

I may take you up on that. If nothing else, I can test fit and compare the feel and send it back/order my own.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,533 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I know where THAT came from... :roll:
    Yep. Tried to like it for years. Just doesn't fit my monkey mitts.
    Overkill is underrated.
    I think I might go hybrid...

IMG_0506.jpg
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I wouldn't fiddle with it until I had a few range sessions with it, you just may find out you like it as is.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Oh, no - that's the plan, Chief. That's what I was telling cpj earlier: gotta see how it handles before switching stuff out. I have a feeling (much like my Anaconda) that the rubber grips are going to be the permanent answer. If the recoil is tamer than expected or I otherwise have a need to change the grips, a hybrid scale setup like a I posted above would be my preference.
    Plus what may be fantastic as is to you may be anathema to others and vice versa.

Like the ole Col told us in the Army, said his GF in college asked him who he expected to please with that little thing..........he replied ME!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    I don't find 10mm recoil to be that much different than .45acp and my 10mm loads are more stout than my .45. Both 5" 1911s. Maybe a little more snappy but very controllable. But than again, I don't have smooth grips.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,564 Senior Member
    Luis, my RIA came with similar grips, I was NOT a fan (Think bolting wood rasps on each side for grips)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,326 Senior Member
    Congrats
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,929 Senior Member
    Good hustle! Beautiful pistol
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Luis, my RIA came with similar grips, I was NOT a fan (Think bolting wood rasps on each side for grips)

Girly hands :tooth:

Actually my daughter loves shooting mine with the VZ grips

knitepoet wrote: »
    You mean like the VZ hybrid grips I linked above or the factory rubber wrap-around style? The VZ grips I linked are not too grippy-looking compared the ones I put on my Kimber Custom II. Those puppies are SHARP...but at .45 ACP recoil levels, they are totally tolerable. Now, 10mm may be a different story.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    I think I might go hybrid...

IMG_0506.jpg

Where? Might have to pony up on a set of those.....
    http://www.1911-grips.com/

Click on "Browse Our Current Gallery" and then "Inventory Pictures." It will take you to his Photobucket page, which has BOATLOADS of options and quite a few Delta Elite patterns. The ones I linked are on page 9. They are NOT cheap because many of them are factory VZ grips that he has to pay for and then customize while still making a reasonable profit, but his work looks excellent. Page 5 has a set that replicate the smooth originals and a very nice half-moon checkered pattern (there's even a white set on page 7). I sent him an inquiry email with the pair I wanted priced attached today and he responded very quickly.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,593 Senior Member
    Seriously sweet pistol, Luis! I lust for a 10mm 1911.
    cpj wrote: »
    Oh snap. It's plastic? AND arched? Eww.
    Only way to properly fix it......Ed Brown Chainlink.
    IMG_1767.jpg
    Some skateboard tape on that slick frontstrap would help too.

jbohio wrote: »
    Seriously sweet pistol, Luis! I lust for a 10mm 1911.

Only way to properly fix it......Ed Brown Chainlink.
    IMG_1767.jpg

Now THAT is really nice.
  • wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 1,004 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Some skateboard tape on that slick frontstrap would help too.

The original DE had a front strap add on that went under the grips, from the factory. I'm sure it would still be available with a little searching on net, if you need some extra gripping power.

DSCN1774.jpg

“When guns are outlawed, only patriots will have guns.”
    Ok, somthe original was basically like my factory grip setup, but with a stipple texture rather tha a checkered pattern.

I'm going to do a test run today with some cheap Armscor 180 gr. ammo they had at the BX to see how much grip I truly need on this thing. That's going to play a large part in determining how pratical standard open-front grips will be.
    Got the gun to the range today and shot just shy of 50 rounds. I had to do some off-season muzzleloader work, and shot the pistol just before they closed. I have to say, like many of the experienced 10mm shooters stated, the recoil with the 180 gr. factory loads really was not that bad at all. I definitely feel comfortable sprucing this baby up with some aftermarket grips and keeping the originals around as backup. It shot even that cheap ammo extremely well. At 7 yards, it was boring a ragged hole. I didn't get to grab my target since I was scrambling to get out as they were closing, but it was still enough of a sample to leave me pretty impressed.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I had faith.
    Something that looks that good just has to perform.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    Most factory 10mm is nothing more than .40 cal in a longer case unless it's something like buffalo bore. Speed them 180s up a little and it won't be a ragged hole but nice and clean with a little more kick.

I wonder why that is. Like, why sell 10mm if you're going to load it down to a lower pressure rated from round? I keep hearing it though, so I might be in for a surprise when I handload for it.

I'm also going to start creeping toward some 200 gr. bullets for hunting loads. Those might really be a wakeup call.
    Look at the speed for the same bullets from the same manufacture, the winchesters and federals of the world will be almost the same. Economics I guess but they sure charge more for the 10s.

Yes, they do. I was shocked to see that the base had 50 rounds of Armscor for just $25. All of the other stuff out there is running at least that much for 20 rounds, and a Cor-Bon 20 round box was damned near $50! The Armscor ammo shot exceptionally well considering it was more than double the number of Cor-Bon rounds for half the price. It's FMJ and only good for target work, but that was all I needed.
    http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/39?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/482812/prvi-partizan-ammunition-10mm-auto-180-grain-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-50

I'd keep checking fer privi partizan #50 for $21.95 to get some range ammo and brass to reload when they get it back in stock.

10mm is like the .44 spl and mag, definitely need to reload it because of the cost and to bring up it potentially back to what it was in performance.
    1083 fps, I think a 180 should be pushed to what 1200-1250 FPS outta a 10mm????
    Thanks, Chief. Lots of options there. Buying locally at the base, it looks like that Armscor (same stuff in the Graf's ad) is the best value I have going if I need factory ammo again.

God willing, it will be a moot point by Monday as my brass/bullets will be here and I can start reloading.