Home Main Category General Firearms

Just bought a scope I don't need...........yet

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Poking around Midway last night after I got an email blast about a Clearance sale I saw a Simmons Scope for rimfire on sale.

Simmons ProTarget Rimfire Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm Side Focus .22 LR Turrets TruPlex Reticle Matte and I got this one for $82 bucks and change.

They had two left last night and one a while ago..........so I ordered it. $139.99 now and I've seen the price higher and a little lower. Anyway has a side AO knob focus or something like that that seemed pretty cool to me.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/274141/simmons-protarget-rimfire-rifle-scope-3-9x-40mm-side-focus-22-lr-turrets-truplex-reticle-matte

I have a Simmons .22 Mag AO on my Marlin model 60 and I could swap it out fer kicks. But what I'll probably do is buy a good bolt action .22 rifle probably one by Savage for shootin off a bench and put it on that.

I don't own a bolt .22 rifle just the Marlin model 60 and Mommy's Rem nickel plated Nylon 66.

I know it ain't top of the line or anything, but thought it would be a good exploration point to better .22 optics than I have right now, anyway.

So. I'm a sucker fer a good sale, sometimes.
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,507 Senior Member
    Sounds like a good price.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I saved a few bucks and in my way of "Gun Thunking" the money I saved on my new AC system will pay fer it and a new .22 bolt rifle to boot. :tooth: :guns: :guns:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/simmons-22-lr-cal-turrets-3-9x40-pro-target-riflescope.html
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,507 Senior Member
    Win!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I bought a Marlin bolt action a few years back, the one with a tubular magazine, and it shoots really nice - 1" groups at 25 yards, and as many as you want to shoot under 1-1/2" at 50 yards. I put a 4x Nikon on it for about $100, and it works fine. But, not better than the 3-9x Bushnell that I put on the Remington Speedmaster. I don't do expensive optics for a .22, because they aren't really needed for 50 yard shooting. I have not tried a Simmons.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Someone just had a thread here about his CZ bolt gun. Thing looked like a ringer for sure. I suppose the Savage might be less expensive.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    Someone just had a thread here about his CZ bolt gun. Thing looked like a ringer for sure. I suppose the Savage might be less expensive.

Yep, looks like a CZ 455 or Savage Mk II is in your future. I am partial to the CZ cause of ease of swapping calipers.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Poking around Midway last night after I got an email blast about a Clearance sale I saw a Simmons Scope for rimfire on sale.

Simmons ProTarget Rimfire Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm Side Focus .22 LR Turrets TruPlex Reticle Matte and I got this one for $82 bucks and change.

They had two left last night and one a while ago..........so I ordered it. $139.99 now and I've seen the price higher and a little lower. Anyway has a side AO knob focus or something like that that seemed pretty cool to me.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/274141/simmons-protarget-rimfire-rifle-scope-3-9x-40mm-side-focus-22-lr-turrets-truplex-reticle-matte

I have a Simmons .22 Mag AO on my Marlin model 60 and I could swap it out fer kicks. But what I'll probably do is buy a good bolt action .22 rifle probably one by Savage for shootin off a bench and put it on that.

I don't own a bolt .22 rifle just the Marlin model 60 and Mommy's Rem nickel plated Nylon 66.

I know it ain't top of the line or anything, but thought it would be a good exploration point to better .22 optics than I have right now, anyway.

So. I'm a sucker fer a good sale, sometimes.

Unless you're going into competitively shooting 22s, to me it's as good as you will ever need on a .22 Rim Fire. Think about the range you normally shoot .22 LRs, usually less than 50 yards. Think about why you need better optics on larger caliber firearms. Like when you're trying to milk out more shooting time during a hunt late in the day and shots are more likely to be over 100 yards ? That don't hardly compute with what a .22 is used for. All I personally need in a .22 scope is reasonable accuracy potential and the ability to maintain zero. My Simmons White Tail 3-9x40 that I have on my 10/22 Ruger does all this and well. And though probably unneeded by most of us, the OA is icing on the cake. Who says you don't need that scope? Well if you don't need it right this minute, you will when you buy that new .22 Bolt Gun!
    Either all this is true, or you're the victim of Self Enablement.....:tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,751 Senior Member
    Get a CZ for that scope....plenty of models to fit your needs.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,521 Senior Member
    Heck, I was picking up .45 ACP brass at the range a year before I bought my first 1911, just so I'd have a little stockpile to start with....
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,138 Senior Member
    That new A/C unit is going to save you more than you think. Start planning your upgrades now.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I accidentally picked up some .40 S&W brass with my .45's (they were real shiny) a couple of times. Next thing ya know, I made a sweet trade for Kahr a K-40. You just never know - it's fate, I reckon.

I mentioned the Marlin bolt action, because the CZ is pretty high class. So, I figure if you buy one, you will want a Leupold after you shoot it. :jester:
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    The worst one I remember was somebody found a set of dies on sale and wound up with a new firearm ...
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I've been guilty at least twice. I bought a 20 ga. Mossberg 500 used because I had half a case of 20 gauge shells lying around and I bought a very nice used silver VariX II scope for a future build. I know, it wasn't a gun but I didn't have a gun to put it on when I bought it, so same difference, sort of.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I bought a set of obsolete reloading dies out of a bargain bin and ended up building a rifle for them. They looked lonely on that shelf with nothing to do!
    Jerry