Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Chris Rock skewers Hollywood over diversity

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Thoughts on the Academy Awards last night, I flipped to and fro with the remote. Could only take so much of any of it at a time.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2016/02/29/chris-rock-diversity-leonardo-dicaprio-revenant-oscar/?intcmp=hpbt1
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Hollywood takes itself way too seriously. The whole industry is about playing pretend. They need to get over themselves.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Didn't watch so much as a second of it. To me, entertainers are just that, entertainers. Musicians, actors, sports figures, they exist to entertain us. I liken it to a jester in a kingdom that dresses funny and does goofy stuff to amuse people. Somewhere along the line, folks started assigning too much importance to them and made the jesters the wealthiest people in the kingdom. Jesters giving trophies to other jesters has no relevance to me.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Hollywood takes itself way too seriously. The whole industry is about playing pretend. They need to get over themselves.

Exactly, well put Jerm. I have said it before...........enjoy actors/artist/musicians/authors for their work, but you usually have to ignore their politics. If you don't you will find yourself painted into a corner. IOW enjoy the show/read/music/art and try not to think about who did it or you may find yourself with slim pickings.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Oh, that's right fisheadgib, I forgot about those intellectual giants............Athletes.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,139 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    This. In spades.
    I couldn't care less about the whole lot of them.

Read this:
    http://injennifershead.com/?p=1841

Shut your pie hole and dance, monkey!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I gotta show that to Debbie tonight. She thinks that my view on the matter is a little extreme. That person said it better than I ever could.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    There are some things I watch regularly, others occasionally, and many never. All awards shows are in the never category. I loved Al (not so) Sharpton demanding a quota of minority (read Black) nominees regardless of their performance.. He can actually accuse Whites of being racist with a straight face. Affirmative Action has been causing us to circle the drain faster for decades. We might as well add more and just get it over with.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Funny thing is the movies I like don't win many awards (outside say People's Choice type) and the ones that win very seldom are something I'd watch, guess my redneck no good taste shows through when it comes to the theatre. These "shows" are now just like reality shows to me ... pure BS.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,705 Senior Member
    I did not see any of those movies---- Revanant I might watch
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    sgtrock21 wrote: »
    There are some things I watch regularly, others occasionally, and many never. All awards shows are in the never category. I loved Al (not so) Sharpton demanding a quota of minority (read Black) nominees regardless of their performance.. He can actually accuse Whites of being racist with a straight face. Affirmative Action has been causing us the circle the drain faster for decades. We might as well add more and just get it over with.

Pretty much sums it up.

Matt
    Support your local Scouts!
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,291 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I did not see any of those movies---- Revanant I might watch

Most of the movies and actors I had never heard of until last night.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,669 Senior Member
    I find it interesting that Leonardo DiCaprio whines about climate change while jetting around the world in a 727.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Must be our favorite character flaw coming out again. :tooth:
    That writer said it very well. Hollywood thinks they are artists and stuff-- teachers that let us view the world and society in general through their craft so we can see life as it really is.

Bull crap!

And DiCaprio had to travel to Canada where there is snow? OMG! The world is doomed now!!!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    I find it interesting that Leonardo DiCaprio whines about climate change while jetting around the world in a 727.

Well sure, but it's probably a hybrid and he bought carbon offsets from Al Gore, so it's all good.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin