Home Main Category General Firearms

OK, 223 load recipies

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 7,452 Senior Member
Got a few 223 cases built up so I got a PP reamer and went through a hundred or so PMC brass taking out the crimp, running them on a PP uniformer, and deburring the flash holes. Primed a hundred after finding out my Lee auto prime is a bit worn and wouldnt seat SR primers quite flush, made a little bushing from a stainless steel washer and went to work.

Looked on the Nos site and the available powders that cross are Varget and IMR 4895. The Varget load that Nos said was most accurate was 23gr @ about 2600 FPS under a 69 gr Nos CC.

Varget is the only one that crosses to the new Hornady book, I need to get back my borrowed out older book to see if there are more I have that cross.

I figure I will start with 23 of Varget. As a bonus, that is the load I use in the 222R so by pushing 3 buttons I can be dropping powder at the correct quantity.

Sitting on the shelf are Varget, IMR 4895-4350-4227-4064, pyrodex and 2F, IIRC.
It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I load 68 grain Hornady Match with 25 grains of Varget for my 20" heavy barrel (1:8) for a 0.40 best group. For the same rifle, I load Barnes 70 grain TSX with 24.5 grains and my best groups are 0.5. I have tried both ot these in my Palmetto budget rifle with 16" pencil barrel and 1:7 twist. They shoot in pretty much the same hole at 25 yards and group less than an inch at 50 yards.

For practice/plinking, I use 62 grain steel core mil-surp with 24 grains of Varget that group about 1" at 50 yards, with an occasional flyer. This is the Palmetto with a shotgun/muzzleloader 1-4x scope with a thick reticle, and a RRA National Match trigger.

I started low with these and worked up, and they all got progressively more accurate until I said good enough. They might even do better in the 20" heavy barrel at higher velocity, but this was the max for my recipe, so I said good enough.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,391 Senior Member
    25.0 Varget 69gr SMK
    5at100.jpg

23.5 Varget NCC 77gr
    77NCCHP235VARG_zpsb19a1c0a.jpg
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Got a few 223 cases built up so I got a PP reamer and went through a hundred or so PMC brass taking out the crimp, running them on a PP uniformer, and deburring the flash holes. Primed a hundred after finding out my Lee auto prime is a bit worn and wouldnt seat SR primers quite flush, made a little bushing from a stainless steel washer and went to work.

Looked on the Nos site and the available powders that cross are Varget and IMR 4895. The Varget load that Nos said was most accurate was 23gr @ about 2600 FPS under a 69 gr Nos CC.

Varget is the only one that crosses to the new Hornady book, I need to get back my borrowed out older book to see if there are more I have that cross.

I figure I will start with 23 of Varget. As a bonus, that is the load I use in the 222R so by pushing 3 buttons I can be dropping powder at the correct quantity.
    liwe
    Sitting on the shelf are Varget, IMR 4895-4350-4227-4064, pyrodex and 2F, IIRC.

I put 26.1 grains Varget under a 68 Grain BTHP Hornady Match bullet in my 22" Barrel Stevens Model 200. This is the only load that seems to compute with this rifle to get the accuracy out of a .223 that I believe it's capable of. Damn but that rifle is Finicky! I don't even remember what velocity that gives me, nor do I care. But I was so frustrated with this rifle trying to find that magic load that would tame it. And this one did.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,452 Senior Member
    Seems a bit warm for a auto loader.

I am going to get off my butt and actually shoot the NM AR in real comp before I cant see well enough to do it. I know that I am not going to get Distinguished because I cant see well enough and I just dont have the time. But dang it, I am going to show up for a few. If they work OK in the A1, then all the better.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Seems a bit warm for a auto loader.

I am going to get off my butt and actually shoot the NM AR in real comp before I cant see well enough to do it. I know that I am not going to get Distinguished because I cant see well enough and I just dont have the time. But dang it, I am going to show up for a few. If they work OK in the A1, then all the better.

Maybe you'll be lucky and your ARs will like lots of different loads, as my old 788 Remington did. I don't know what is wrong about this rifle. I thought that with all I'd heard about Savage accuracy I'd have a winner. Only one loading shoots tight groups. Anyway, that's the only one that shoots good in it so far.

My old Remington 788, rear locking action and all would shoot about anything well. But there weren't any real heavy bullets back then. The only heavy bullet I ever shot in it was a Speer 70 grain Semi Spitzer. That thing would even stabilize in my .22-250 Remington 700 ADL Synthetic with a 1:14 twist. But that bullet's a lot shorter than a full blown Spitzer.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    If you only need iron sight accuracy, for less than perfect vision, I would think that any match grade bullet over a warm load would work pretty well. My limited experience with AR-15s suggest that the 1:8 and 1:7 barrels seem to like hot loads, and that they are consistent with good quality bullets. Even the steel core milsurp do better than expected with a pretty warm load.
    Define iron sight accuracy.

Just because its harder doesnt mean that they cant be put in the right place. If the rifle will shoot MOA that gives me a little more leeway to screw up.
    2 MOA at 100 yards, and declining as the distance gets further? You tell me.
    The rifle is either accurate or not. Has nothing to do with the sighting system. That just makes getting there easier or more difficult. I just shot about a 2 MOA group with the A1 build and PMC ammo. If you discount the flyer and figure for 127 yds a 1.8 in group is a bit better than 2 MOA. With the NM I hope to do a heck of a lot better than that. The rifle should be able to hold MOA at least. Actually shooting it in position will probably affect the score, not the accuracy of the rifle.