Home Main Category Hunting

My LR Hunting RIFLE

2»

Replies

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,547 Senior Member
    Snake,
    Your fear or concern about over stabilizing the lighter weight Bullets is unfounded.
    Do some research or call the bullet companies and look for the highest BC Bullets that will stabilize the best for the twist that you have.
    The 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip will easily take you to the distances you're wanting to do.
    The 162 grain Hornady A-Max may also stabilize, but you just need to try it.
    Find a load that shoots good for you at 100 yards, and then began stretching your way out, learning your drops as you go
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Snake,
    Your fear or concern about over stabilizing the lighter weight Bullets is unfounded.
    Do some research or call the bullet companies and look for the highest BC Bullets that will stabilize the best for the twist that you have.
    The 150 grain Nosler ballistic tip full easily take you to the distances you're wanting to do.
    The 162 grain hornady Amax may also stabilize you just need to try it.
    Find a load that shoots good for you at 100 yards and then began stretching your way out, learning your drops as you go

The 150 Nosler Ballistic Tip over 56 grains IMR 4831 is my pet load in that rifle. I also have shot Sierra 160 Grain Boat Tail Hollow Point Game Kings with good results. I need to look in my records but think that load was over 53 grains of that same IMR 4831 at a MV of around 2800 fps.

But I want to at least try some heavier bullets in it and don't really have the extra cash to rebarrel it to a tighter twist anyway. I was a little concerned with over stabilizing lighter bullets but after thinking about it I never shot anything smaller than 140s anyway.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Snake,
    Just take what you already have and see what you can do at distance.
    I have killed game (First shot connections) with the 140 NBT past 500 yards with slower MV's than you have with your 280.
    If the accuracy is there, the shooter is capable of running it well, and you have a scope that gives you the ability to make correction for drop, you are good to go.
    Go shoot:applause:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Snake,
    Just take what you already have and see what you can do at distance.
    I have killed game (First shot connections) with the 140 NBT past 500 yards with slower MV's than you have with your 280.
    If the accuracy is there, the shooter is capable of running it well, and you have a scope that gives you the ability to make correction for drop, you are good to go.
    Go shoot:applause:

Thanks Ernie, you give me much needed confidence. I'll do that.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Welcome.
    You will never succeed, unless you are willing to fail in trying.
    Besides that, it is FUN shooting at longer distances!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"