Home Main Category Clubhouse

The Farmer-Veteran Coalition

woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior MemberPosts: 2,725 Senior Member
Ever heard of this organization? I hadn't until a month or so ago when the local Farm Credit Banking group contacted me requesting me to join and help out. After getting the details on the Coalition I was eager and anxious to do what I could. Look it up on the Web and form your own opinions! Very briefly here is what its all about:

The number of small family farms in the USA is now down to around 2% of the total....maybe a little higher, but certainly not above 5%. Major food industries like Monsanto (thanks, Monsanto, for giving us Agent Orange :angry:) and the few others control 95+% of our "groceries".
Combat veterans, and those just behind the lines in support billets are coming off active duty with the highest rate of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder ever experienced. (We used to call PTSD "Shell Shocked"). Some of the folks up in Kentucky working in agriculture and government put 2 and 2 together and came up with the idea of a Coalition to help veterans become small farmers. Those treating PTSD will tell you that working with the soil growing things and nurturing herd animals fowls, etc, is some of the best therapy available. So its a win-win situation! Help veterans re-adjust and heal by getting into an agricultural field, and increase the number of small farmers at the same time!

The Coalition has a Logo of a Serviceman saluting the National Flag with the words "Homegrown by Heroes". Look at it on the website so you'll recognize it, and look for it on agricultural food products in the supermarkets and farmer's markets. Support the Coalition.....we need to do this. It's a reflection of the "America" that I grew up in!

Replies

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,270 Senior Member
    Looks like a good organisation to support, Rich.

Here is a link to their home page http://www.farmvetco.org/
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,748 Senior Member
    I will be looking for their logo
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,656 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    I will be looking for their logo
    As will I - very cool.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    I'll definitely be looking for that logo on food. It would be good to see this take off like a wildfire in a high wind.

Regarding raising vegetables, and farm animals, it can be pretty relaxing. Bottle feeding a few calves can be both relaxing and entertaining, and the calves sort of imprint on you and follow you around like big puppy dogs even after they're grown.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    That is great, I would enjoy being a part of that.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    I'll definitely be looking for that logo on food. It would be good to see this take off like a wildfire in a high wind.

Regarding raising vegetables, and farm animals, it can be pretty relaxing. Bottle feeding a few calves can be both relaxing and entertaining, and the calves sort of imprint on you and follow you around like big puppy dogs even after they're grown.

I saw that recently, three ladies went jogging by a pasture and 4 calves tried jogging along with them, like huge puppies.

Same calves all gathered around me, probably wanted food.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996