Savage 99 report

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 9,659 Senior Member
Pretty good day at the range today. The first time I've shot the 99 since I removed the scope and re-applied the Marble tang sight. After confirming my 25 yard zero, (about an inch and a half low) I shot it at 100 yards at a bull about 8", which disappeared under the front bead. I didn't hit the center, shot about 4" high, but the group was less than 2", but not much less. Which is as good as I can shoot with non-magnified sights and nearly 71-year old eyes. It's a .300 Savage and in pretty good shape, using a 150 gr. bullet and 39 gr. 4895. My other 99 is at the gunsmith hopefully getting fixed, eventually, and it's like a new one, except it's got a scope mount on it...a "molested" 99. Not a ding in the stock and 99% on the bluing I could see. I'll post photos if he finishes with it before I croak.

My shooting bud' stretched out his .32 Special model 336 with a period Lyman peep sight I posted on another thread on this forum. He shot a bit better and mostly more centered, and then removed the aperture and shot it "ghost ring" style. His group scattered a bit but was still inside the black. This was a 170 gr. bullet with LVR powder. I was impressed by the way his rifle performed and with his shooting, given that he can't read the label on a can of soup but has good far vision. It's a Sporting Carbine, which he's coveted for as long as I've known him in that caliber. It was made in 1949 and he got a great deal on the rifle and on the Lyman sight.

Anyway, I was relatively impressed with both his shooting, his zero and somewhat astonished by the fact that I kept them all inside a couple of inches. I probably (maybe) could have done better with a six-o'clock hold where the front sight didn't subtend the bull.

Getting old doesn't necessarily mean getting incapacitated. My eyesight is better than when I was 20 yoa thanks to cataract surgery.

My Savage was made about 1942, his Marlin in 1948, so old guns and old rifles can still perform.

I'll never hunt with either 99s, and certainly don't need sniper accuracy. I kinda like the challenge of a non-glass rifle.
Not too many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,056 Senior Member
    That sounds like pretty good shooting to me Gene. Those M99s are such slick guns, I like them a lot. Your buds 336SC is a rifle that is on my short list too. I came this close to putting one in lay away five years ago, instead I decided to just come back in a couple of days when I had all the money. Yeah it was gone and I still kick myself.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Doesn't sound like you need it, but if you scotch tape a white paper diamond in the center of the black bullseye, the bottom point gives you a precise aiming point.

Seems like you did very well without it though. I wonder if the followers in the magazine were precision fitted to the cartrdge on those old 99's like the Manlicher Schnauers?
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,981 Senior Member
    That sounds like pretty good shooting to me Gene. Those M99s are such slick guns, I like them a lot. Your buds 336SC is a rifle that is on my short list too. I came this close to putting one in lay away five years ago, instead I decided to just come back in a couple of days when I had all the money. Yeah it was gone and I still kick myself.

$100 bill behind the drivers license solve this problem, must be replaced as soon as it is used. Nice shooting Gene, I wish I would have known 20 yrs ago what a Savage 99 would be have been going for now.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,781 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like you need it, but if you scotch tape a white paper diamond in the center of the black bullseye, the bottom point gives you a precise aiming point.

Seems like you did very well without it though. I wonder if the followers in the magazine were precision fitted to the cartrdge on those old 99's like the Manlicher Schnauers?

Great shooting, Gene! I love my 99's. Two of them are over 100 years old and still shoot great. The .25-35 and .303 both have Lyman tang sights, and the .30-30 has a scope with a Stith mount, vintage 1930.

Early, the magazine rotors are caliber specific, and worth more than gold 'cause they are hard to find. Found out the hard way. I acquired and extra barrel for my .303 takedown so I figured I'd make a switch barrel rifle in .38-55, but the .38-55 would not feed. The 99 hasn't been chamber in .38-55 since 1914, so finding the proper rotor would be a qrail quest.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Hard to find but all hand fitted.
    Nice!
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,993 Senior Member
    Good shooting Gene
    I love those old rifles
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 672 Senior Member
    Nice shooting Gene, 99's are my favourite rifle, bar none, although I am sweet on the Niedner/Wundhammer style mausers, can't believe that the junky BLR is still in production and the 99 isn't.
    Big Al1 wrote: »

Early, the magazine rotors are caliber specific, and worth more than gold 'cause they are hard to find. Found out the hard way. I acquired and extra barrel for my .303 takedown so I figured I'd make a switch barrel rifle in .38-55, but the .38-55 would not feed. The 99 hasn't been chamber in .38-55 since 1914, so finding the proper rotor would be a qrail quest.

The 410 additional barrel is pretty damn neat two, only downside to the 99's TD is the lack of a take up mechanism, when they are sloppy, they need to become fixed barrels or get new barrels, I'm not personally keen on cutting threads and lengthening chambers.

You have to wonder in this day and age why someone can't just do a 3D photograph and scan of a few 99 rotors and then 3D print them for investment casting or cnc milling.
    The frame size on all of the 99 models up to the mid '50's is identical, all you need for most of the cartridges are the rotor, cartridge follower and barrel and some bolt and extractor work. It would be a niche market, but, like you say, new rotors are unobtanium.
    Better still, get Miroku to do a run of fixed barrel 30-30's and 250-3000's, especially the saddle guns :drool2:
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,659 Senior Member
    Ref the .336 in .32 Special, I have to say, is an impressive rifle. The worksmanship is outstanding on the old Marlins (and Winchesters). We didn't run his through the chrony but it seems like it's doing the job. Plus brass is easy to make.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,595 Senior Member
    Great shooting Gene and your friend as well.

I love seeing the classics at the range
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,076 Senior Member
    Sub 2MOA with irons is outstanding shooting any day in my book! Well done Gene. I love 99s :cool2:
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,112 Senior Member
    If you can do honest 2" groups with iron sights, on any rifle, you are a long ways from 'over-the-hill. My dad, in his thirties, could do it, and one of his brothers could have probably done it, but I've not seen others that could, especially 71 yo. The Savage 99 is one of the great rifles. I wish I had bought one when they weren't so rare.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,659 Senior Member
    Well, I wouldn't say I could do it regularly. I did it that time, but maybe not again.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06