Model 71 Winchester

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 9,744 Senior Member
The other day, an acquaintance of mine asked me about a Model 71 Win. It's a lever gun in .348 Win, very well made. For some reason, he asks me for value on firearms. I've never seen one but see on Gunbroker they're going up to $3400. I didn't see the rifle but he reports it's in excellent shape.

What piqued my interest is he said it was marked with an Australian Army marking. I've never heard of such a thing and couldn't find information on it on the web. He told me the exact markings on it, but I don't remember the exact markings.

Anyone ever heard of such a thing? Can you direct me toward a website I missed? I figure that would add probably $1000 to the value of the rifle, maybe more.
Not too many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,520 Senior Member
    Way cool! Very rare indeed!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I could see an 1895 win with an Australia marking, but, 71? Got me :uhm:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,744 Senior Member
    Well, I didn't see it. I suppose it's possible that he misread the markings and it could be from Alaska, before it became a state. It was popular up there, so I've read. I can't see why it would be popular in Australia, but still, that's what he said.

The acquaintance is an older guy, a retired plastic surgeon with lots of money, a bunch of lever rifles, and almost zero firearm knowledge. He's the guy who offered to sell me a Spencer rifle in .44 Rimfire for $350 once. Or maybe $650, can't remember. It was in excellent shape, almost museum quality, and when I told him it was worth about $6000, he has been eternally grateful to me and thinks I'm a genius. I think the place he bought it, not known for giving deals, left a 0 off the price tag and the dealer's wife was the one who sold it to him. That's speculation.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,520 Senior Member
    They do have Asian buffalo there, and wild Bulls.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 672 Senior Member
    I would think that the Alaskan markings the more likely, call it 60/40 odds, but I would not bat an eye to find that is indeed Australian marked, army marked I think unlikely, but a state or territory marking would not be at all unusual.

The Brisbane city council, in the state of Queensland, for example, used to use 1892 Winchesters in 44-40 for animal control, in the '50's they threaded them for suppressors.
    Lots of local and state/territory agencies and governments in Australia that would have call for an model 71, there are Bulls, buffalo, camels, donkeys, brumbies, crocodiles that all could justify a rifle like that .

Edit, another possibility is that it is cattle company marked, lots of them graze areas the size New England and stamp gear as well, the likes of the Sid Kidman empire especially.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,080 Senior Member
    I have held ONE Model 71, that was a sweet rifle. It belonged to a buddies Dad, I never could talk the guy into letting me shoot it. That one had a scope mount that flipped over to the left side, it was a really neat rifle.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,282 Senior Member
    I have no idea whether this rifle was Australian, Alaskan, Austrian or Cambodian for that matter, but I do know I am very interested in two old Winchester cartridges, the 405 Win. and the 348 Winchester. I actually have reloading data for the .348. At ranges out to a couple hundred yards it's a bulldozer. It's a HOSS!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.