Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Is it just me, or are we as a country becoming more divided?

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 13,495 Senior Member
Democrat vs. Republican
Northern vs. Southern
Eastern vs. Western
Trump vs. Cruz
Police vs. "civilians"
Teachers vs. public
Gov. workers vs. public
College-educated vs. working class
Lower class vs. everyone else
Minority vs. Caucasians
Minority vs. Minority
Urban vs. rural
Carnivores vs. Vegans
Vegans vs. Vegetarians
Muslim vs. non-muslim
Christians vs. non-Christians
...and the list goes on....

I wonder: are we more divided as a nation than we used to be? Who's to blame? Seems like the ones who benefit the most are those who are probably happy folks are fighting and not paying attention to what they're doing....
Overkill is underrated.

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    We have lost the ability to discuss important matters in a non-confrontational way, because we don't take the time to do our homework. So, when we get backed into a corner with something that we lack knowledge of, we respond with a bait-and-switch argument, or get our feelings hurt and stomp off. It's probably a result of inattention to things that aren't fun. We take our freedom for granted and therefore neglect the things we need to pay attention to, in order to remain free.

Basically, we are children.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    Yes.

This is called "The war of all against all".

And its getting worse.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Becoming more?
    These conflicts are as old as time.
    They've been largely resolved by the rule of law, but still live just beneath the surface waiting to be exploited.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    I wonder if it's partially because of the rise of technology: email, text, forums, and whatnot...

Louis CK once was on Leno? talking about how he didn't want to give his 10-year old a smart phone, because it takes away the child's empathy. His idea was that the written medium, while fine for communicating facts, also deprives one of face-to-face interactions and the ability to see what their words do to another. His example was one kid saying to another, "you're fat." Say it to their face, and you see feelings getting hurt and the negative effects of such an action. The kids learns, "I can hurt someone by doing this." Send it by text, there's no negative feedback. You can do something hateful and not see how you affected another.

Look at how people respond to things on Social Media (which sometimes is pretty antisocial.) Invectives are hurled with no real regard for what they mean. Words like "fascist" and "nazi" used to be the big guns that were brought out for truly egregious remarks. Now they're the openings to a discussion which is really two folks screaming. The art of debate is dying out: rather than responding to things, folks dismiss them and try to use false equivalence. Look at the comments section of basically any article, video, or whatever. It's all filled with nastiness. Things that most folks wouldn't say to someone's face.

I wonder if this sort of disunity is intentional, or just being capitalized on. Because when folks are fighting, they tend not to pay attention to other things. And when that happens, your rights can get violated....
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,948 Senior Member
    It's at least two of us. I don't think I've ever seen the country any more divided than it is now.

I think that one of the reasons for this is the press. In past times, the press went out of their way to protect certain political figures. FDR had polio, and usually had to use a wheel chair to get around. Yet, the press rarely, if ever, revealed that fact. The same could be said for he and his mistress.

As big a womanizer as Kennedy was, it was kept relatively quiet. Today, it would be blasted all over the news.

In other words, the press did what it could to bolster the image of the president and other national leaders. Today, it's just the opposite. How man negative stories do you see about Obama, Hillary, Trump, Cruz and anyone else in the public eye.

I suppose this is good for the country, but it certainly does divide us.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Don't forget the man vs ape division. All apes must go. Vegans too, but mostly apes.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Don't forget to disparage those people.
    They cause more problems than they're worth.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    I think there was a lot more division in the 60s. Much of it today is petty. Back then it was life and death in a lot of cases.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    What about xenomorphs?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    It is the nature of man to find discordance.

The only thing that truly unites men is a common enemy. The only thing that will bring about a united humankind is a Klingon invasion...

:spittingcoffee::rotflmao::roll2:

Wambli wins the internet :applause:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    Back in the old west, people resolved their difference with a shootout. I guess yelling on the internet is more "civilized."
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Democrat vs. Republican
    Northern vs. Southern
    Eastern vs. Western
    Trump vs. Cruz
    Police vs. "civilians"
    Teachers vs. public
    Gov. workers vs. public
    College-educated vs. working class
    Lower class vs. everyone else
    Minority vs. Caucasians
    Minority vs. Minority
    Urban vs. rural
    Carnivores vs. Vegans
    Vegans vs. Vegetarians
    Muslim vs. non-muslim
    Christians vs. non-Christians
    ...and the list goes on....

It's just US versus THEM. And I'm on OUR side.

T R U M P
    A house divided against itself appraises for less.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    There are 10 types of people: Those that understand binary, and those that do not.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    These days the only way to tell what sex a person is is have them drop their..........DRUM ROLL PLEASE..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

GENES :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Until the guy from Tennessee shows up. Then it's Yankees Vs. Southerners...

I believe that! The last yankee/rebel bar brawl I was in, it took 10 rebs to whip one yank. Of course, it took nine of us to drag him out of the women's rest room!
    :jester:
    Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    I think it has a LOT more to do with the diversity bovine scatology than it does with anything else. Which brings on the multitudes of US vs. THEM mentality that so many of the Least Common Denominators fall for, hook, line, and sinker. All the diversity movements do is tear people apart into little factions of 'you're hurting my feelings' groups, and to hell with what is good and right for the country. If all these diversity LCD anus chapeaus want to do some good, then they should take some sound (IMHO) advice a friend of mine said around 40 years ago, to whit, "Keep your mouth shut, do your job, and buy U.S. Savings Bonds'. If you can manage to do those three simple things, then you won't have time to be fooled by the next carnival diversity huckster that tries to sell you that "I'm Offended" snake oil bovine scat.

And another piece of advice for all these fractious brain cell deficient nitwits. Keep on pushing the envelope and when the elastic limit is reached, the snap back might just be bloody and damned ugly. And that elastic limit is likely to be reached sooner than anyone thinks.

I do think that the 'Strike for $15' minimum wage people are getting a taste of what is to come. No more halfwits at the counter taking orders is already being implemented with kiosks that let you do your own ordering. Their alligator mouths overloaded their hummingbird butts, and now they are joining the ranks of the unemployed. But then, greed IS one of the seven deadly sins. And it isn't how much you pay someone that matters; it's now much they cost you to employ them.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams