Trump campaign manager charged with simple battery

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 6,512 Senior Member
Here's a pointer to a CNN story that reports the incident, as well as shows a recording of what happened.

I've looked at the recording a number of times, and it seems pretty clear that Lewandowski (Trump's campaign manager) grabbed Michelle Fields (reporter who was grabbed). I can't tell how hard, or if it justifies the charge. Also, I heard Trump claim that Fields grabbed him first, but don't see that on the recording. He also claimed that the secret service should have intervened.

I've also seen an interview with Fields claiming that all she wanted was an apology. Since then, she has not only not received an apology, but has been attacked by the Trump campaign, as well as fired from her job with Breitbart. Some refer to Breitbart as Trumpbart, according to her and others. I've also read that Eric Bolling of Fox News fired her as a guest on his Saturday morning financial/political show over this.

I think that everyone's going to see this differently based on whether or not one like Trump.

Whether or not this is going to make a difference, it's at least a legit story with hard evidence and not made up of whole cloth.

Let the long distance urination contest being.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2016/03/29/donald-trump-campaign-manager-lewandowski-charged-battery-lv.cnn
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
«13456

Replies

  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,797 Senior Member
    Since assault is the threat of committing harm, and she was creating an issue, I believe she should be charged with assault, him with simple battery, and throw them both out of court.

    D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,512 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Since assault is the threat of committing harm, and she was creating an issue, I believe she should be charged with assault, him with simple battery, and throw them both out of court.

    D

    You're going to have to explain this, and please type real slow so I can understand it.

    What harm was she creating, and how can one prove it? She was asking a question, which is what reporters do.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,512 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    But one thing is certain, this will be a far more serious issue than trivial things such as the question of who is the best man for the job.

    That's probably the wisest thing I've ever seen you post. I wish I could disagree, but you nailed it.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,614 Senior Member
    Technically, the guy can be charged with misdemeanor battery for touching her, if she doesn't want to be touched. I think they will find him guilty and suspend the sentence because no harm was done, unless they decide to take it to the Supreme Court.

    What if she had reacted by bloodying his nose? Probably felony assault, on her, unless the guy was too embarassed to press it.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    I don't like Trump but will say that he is at least looking into the incident before he cut ties to be PC like many others would have. Shields made mention of being shoved to the ground ... at worst maybe one step backwards. As to laying hands on people it appears she grabbed Trump's arm a second or two before Lewabdowski cut in and separated her from Trump. Also the 2 body guards had moved in to escort Trump through the mix and appear to also have laid hand on Shields.

    For once in a long while Trump said something that made since, Shields made statements before she knew there were tapes/photos that made it out like she was taken to the ground when it was more like back off and don't get in Trump's personal space. It is being escalated because who he works for and in an attempt to bash Trump as having thugs working for him that throw innocent women to the ground for no reason.

    Now Trump has lost another part of the female vote along with heaven only knows the other demographic groups ... I don't see him pulling anywhere near the votes if the Republican nominee to take HilLIARy down. For someone who claims to be so smart he can't see he is going to put the pantsuit in the White House ...
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,492 Senior Member
    I'd fire him.


    NOT because he grabbed her. Nope, she is a reporter in the game and was crowding Trump after the interview was over. IMHO, she should have been removed from where she was and I dont think the guy acted out of line even if it was a little rough.

    So why fire him?

    Because his first thing when he was questioned about it was he said that he didnt know anything about the incident and nothing happened. He should be canned for lying.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,512 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    I don't like Trump but will say that he is at least looking into the incident before he cut ties to be PC like many others would have. Shields made mention of being shoved to the ground ... at worst maybe one step backwards. As to laying hands on people it appears she grabbed Trump's arm a second or two before Lewabdowski cut in and separated her from Trump. Also the 2 body guards had moved in to escort Trump through the mix and appear to also have laid hand on Shields.

    For once in a long while Trump said something that made since, Shields made statements before she knew there were tapes/photos that made it out like she was taken to the ground when it was more like back off and don't get in Trump's personal space. It is being escalated because who he works for and in an attempt to bash Trump as having thugs working for him that throw innocent women to the ground for no reason.

    Now Trump has lost another part of the female vote along with heaven only knows the other demographic groups ... I don't see him pulling anywhere near the votes if the Republican nominee to take HilLIARy down. For someone who claims to be so smart he can't see he is going to put the pantsuit in the White House ...

    She never said she was thrown to the ground. She said it felt like she was being thrown to the ground, but caught her balance.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,797 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    You're going to have to explain this, and please type real slow so I can understand it.

    What harm was she creating, and how can one prove it? She was asking a question, which is what reporters do.

    Sort of...

    I am talking about a defensive strategy that might be colorful. What did she ask? Was it intentionally inflammatory? You can't yell fire in a crowded theater, right? Was he question intended to create conflict? Was she in the way of the candidates progress in any way? If it were me, I might embellish it, just as she is filing battery for simply touching her. Yes, it is a stretch. Florida law is odd...

    D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    She never said she was thrown to the ground. She said it felt like she was being thrown to the ground, but caught her balance.

    You are correct I should have said kinda sorta insinuating it is more like it ...

    "I was jolted backwards. Someone had grabbed me by the arm and yanked me down. I almost fell to the ground but was able to maintain my balance. Nonetheless, I was shaken ... campaign managers are suppose to try to throw reporters to the ground".

    ... is what she said in her post.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,608 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Sort of...

    I am talking about a defensive strategy that might be colorful. What did she ask? Was it intentionally inflammatory? You can't yell fire in a crowded theater, right? Was he question intended to create conflict? Was she in the way of the candidates progress in any way? If it were me, I might embellish it, just as she is filing battery for simply touching her. Yes, it is a stretch. Florida law is odd...

    D


    That can work both ways Dan. The video clearly showed that she grabbed Trump by the wrist when she asked the question so since we're "stretching" imagination, Trump's campaign manager may have been trying to protect Trump when he grabbed her. Considering that her employer fired her, I think this whole ordeal is backfiring on her and she's clutching straws.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,957 Senior Member
    I've watched the video multiple times and the video is too poor quality to make a call on it, IMHO.

    Now lets talk about what happened. The press conference was over and Trump was leaving. The female reporter shoved her way in and started asking questions as aggressive reporters are wont to do. Therein lies the proximate cause of the whole thing. Had she not inserted herself into close proximity of Trump, then we wouldn't be talking about this. Reporters remind me a lot of hogs queuing up to the slop trough as it's being filled; maybe that's due to heredity and upbringing, and a sense of entitlement. I don't know, but I suspect that's how it is with a lot of them.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.


  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    She quit Breirbart, and so did several other reporters, and their PR firm. All because of lack of support for her. Breitbart is in the tank for Trump, and didn't want to pursue it.
    It's because I hate Trump.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,990 Senior Member
    Oh the spin on this is just silly. Look....another violent Trump campaign event shows even his staff is misogynist.

    So will say Pantsuit/Cruz/Carly/Kasich and their spinners.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    This could have all been avoided with a simple apology. That is all she asked for at first. It was Trump, and Lewandowski that escalated it. They lied about it not happening. They lied about there being no witnesses. They called her delusional publicly. They did this all before they knew there was a tape. Now they say it is not as bad as she said. She touched me first. yada yada yada. Funny how they are guilty of what they say she is guilty of. I suspect if they had apologized LE would never have viewed the tapes. I bet they told the same lie to investigators, before the tape. I bet investigators don't like being lied to. I bet that is why there is a charge. I agree it is not that bad, and she should not have bum rushed Trump. But the whole thing should have been copped to.

    The cover up is often worse than the crime.
    It's because I hate Trump.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,512 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Oh the spin on this is just silly. Look....another violent Trump campaign event shows even his staff is misogynist.

    So will say Pantsuit/Cruz/Carly/Kasich and their spinners.

    Trump says and does things before thinking them through. Some find it refreshing, others find it troubling. Even Ann Coulter, one of his biggest supporters, thinks he's "mental".

    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ann-coulter-appears-sour-mental-donald-trump-article-1.2582185

    “I’m a little testy with our man right now. Our candidate is mental. Do you realize our candidate is mental?” Coulter said on “The Milo Yiannopoulos Show” podcast Monday. “It’s like constantly having to bail out your 16-year-old son from prison.”
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    I'd fire him.


    NOT because he grabbed her. Nope, she is a reporter in the game and was crowding Trump after the interview was over. IMHO, she should have been removed from where she was and I dont think the guy acted out of line even if it was a little rough.

    So why fire him?

    Because his first thing when he was questioned about it was he said that he didnt know anything about the incident and nothing happened. He should be canned for lying.

    Just like, despite police records and newspaper articles from the time that state otherwise, Trump's father was never arrested following a KKK rally in NY. "Didn't happen". No, no, this just integrates him more fully into the Trump machine.

    Who'd a know'd Trump's a ****. Equal opportunity and all that. "She grabbed me, maybe I should file assault charges." Yeah, that wouldn't make you look like a lil' female dog.
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,990 Senior Member
    Do tell...........

    NEW YORK – The Florida prosecutor who brought battery charges against Donald Trump’s campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski, supports Hillary Clinton’s campaign for president.

    An article published by the Palm Beach Post on Nov. 17, 2015, has been circulating since Tuesday evening because it lists Palm Beach County State Attorney Dave Aronberg as a member 150-member Florida Leadership Council, which was established by the Democratic Party to promote Hillary Clinton’s presidential candidacy.

    Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2016/03/lewandowski-prosecutor-outed-as-hillary-supporter/#KhH5sP4OZJyFlDqO.99
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Do tell...........

    NEW YORK – The Florida prosecutor who brought battery charges against Donald Trump’s campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski, supports Hillary Clinton’s campaign for president.

    And the police officer that gave me that speeding ticket a few years back supported Bob Dole.
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,512 Senior Member
    This is getting more and more interesting. It's no doubt a politically motivated issue, with fire coming and going from all sides. There are a number of female journalists calling for Trump's head on a pike, and others who are doing their dead level best to downplay it.

    For instance, Great Van Sustern chastised the women who were going after Trump before all the facts came in.

    Then, on O'Reilly, Eric Bolling (filling in for Bill) interviewed a Trump surrogate. The surrogate claimed several times that Fields' initial claim that she was thrown to the ground was blatantly false, and Bolling never challenged him on that. He should have.

    Later, Megan Kelly had two women who wanted Trump's head and two female Trump surrogates on all at once. When the surrogates tried to spew the "she was never thrown to the ground" line, Megyn nailed them on it. It's no secret that Kelly doesn't like Trump, and vice-versa, but she did try to be fair to all parties (in my opinion).

    Whether this goes anywhere or not, there's a lot of inaccurate and/or incomplete reporting on this, which only fuels the fire.

    I don't know why Trump or Lewandowski didn't just apologize and give some explanation as to why it happened and move on, but they didn't. Maybe they figured that if it caused a stir, it would just be more free publicity and benefit them in the end. I don't know.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,614 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I don't know why Trump or Lewandowski didn't just apologize and give some explanation as to why it happened and move on, but they didn't. Maybe they figured that if it caused a stir, it would just be more free publicity and benefit them in the end. I don't know.

    I think this was a gamble by Trump that may or may not backfire. I'm sure that he initially liked that it was keeping him in the news and gave him an opportunity to sneer at the ridiculousness of it, instead of having to defend other statements he has made on harder subjects. But, now, it's time to move on, and the press won't let it go. His opponents are trying to capitalize on it, simply to try to keep voters focused on something negative about the front runner.

    Most conventional candidates would have fired the guy, simply because it diverted attention away from the candidate, in a negative way - not exactly the function they wanted from their campaign manager. But Trump is not conventional, and most of his supporters don't really care what happened because they are not interested in the details of anything he does or has done. They like what he says and have decided to vote for him, based on that, alone.

    Only the upcoming primaries will tell us if it has made any difference, at all. I suspect that it hasn't. If he loses Wisconsin, it won't tell us anything, since he was probably going to lose it, anyway...unless he loses it by a large margin.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,586 Senior Member
    I tend to agree with what bisley said about firing the guy, but his campaign is about not being politically correct and firing him would be just that.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,832 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    I tend to agree with what bisley said about firing the guy, but his campaign is about not being politically correct and firing him would be just that.

    I gotta hand it to the Donald on this one. He stood up to political correctness just like he's been campaigning to do. I watched that video and that woman is full of it. Yeah I know, how can you be sure from a video? Gimme a break, it ain't missile science. That guy did NOT knock her to the floor and he merely nudged her off trump which he was supposed to do and she had no Freaking right coming up to him and grabbing him. I think Donald made a big point on this and in the end I think it will play out in his favor.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,832 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I think this was a gamble by Trump that may or may not backfire. I'm sure that he initially liked that it was keeping him in the news and gave him an opportunity to sneer at the ridiculousness of it, instead of having to defend other statements he has made on harder subjects. But, now, it's time to move on, and the press won't let it go. His opponents are trying to capitalize on it, simply to try to keep voters focused on something negative about the front runner.

    Most conventional candidates would have fired the guy, simply because it diverted attention away from the candidate, in a negative way - not exactly the function they wanted from their campaign manager. But Trump is not conventional, and most of his supporters don't really care what happened because they are not interested in the details of anything he does or has done. They like what he says and have decided to vote for him, based on that, alone.

    Only the upcoming primaries will tell us if it has made any difference, at all. I suspect that it hasn't. If he loses Wisconsin, it won't tell us anything, since he was probably going to lose it, anyway...unless he loses it by a large margin.

    Most political candidates are about presenting a BS image and not projecting their real beliefs and values. Yes Donald does have values. You don't achieve his status without some true core beliefs about what is right and wrong. I am proud he stood up to the pressure and did the right thing.

    He's Rude and Crude but he is about telling it as he sees it and not some BS line of crap.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,151 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Most political candidates are about presenting a BS image and not projecting their real beliefs and values. Yes Donald does have values. You don't achieve his status without some true core beliefs about what is right and wrong. I am proud he stood up to the pressure and did the right thing.

    He's Rude and Crude but he is about telling it as he sees it and not some BS line of crap.

    And he can't win. About 50% of the electorate is women, and he's got maybe 35% of women's support. He only appeals to white males, and not all of them, and he simply cannot win. He can bring down a bunch of Republicans, however, and that's what he'll do.

    I won't vote for Trump unless he changes a lot and drops his pettiness, lack of vision, and personal attacks, which I don't think he will. He has the propensity to do and say exactly the wrong thing like Kim Jong Un. However smart he is, he's not a politician. He's playing us for suckers and appealing to people who are distrustful of the Republican part. I can't think of a single policy statement he's ever made. We don't know what he stands for and we're taking him mainly on his personality. I don't do that.

    And he may not be "political," but he's playing in a political game. We have expectations from a politician, like a certain amount of courtesy and to not say stupid things. He's not meeting those expectation. You can't apply baseball rules to football. You got to play the game by the rules unless you want to play by yourself.

    What he can do is bring the Republican majority in the senate to a minority state. He's a danger to conservatives (which he's not) and I won't vote for him if the election was tomorrow. I'd have to sit this one out.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,512 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I gotta hand it to the Donald on this one. He stood up to political correctness just like he's been campaigning to do. I watched that video and that woman is full of it. Yeah I know, how can you be sure from a video? Gimme a break, it ain't missile science. That guy did NOT knock her to the floor and he merely nudged her off trump which he was supposed to do and she had no Freaking right coming up to him and grabbing him. I think Donald made a big point on this and in the end I think it will play out in his favor.

    It's amazing how two people can watch the same video and get totally different impressions of what they saw. She's a reporter, and it's her job to ask questions. It's hard to do in a crowd if she's not in speaking/hearing distance.

    As for being knocked to the floor, that was NEVER alleged by the reporter. She said she felt like she was being pulled to the floor, but caught her balance. The "pulled to the floor" stuff is Trump's spin. Someone posted her exact quote earlier in this thread if you're interested in what she actually said.

    It looked like Lewandowski did a lot more than nudge her. She was definitely pulled back by him. For what reason I don't know. I've also watched the video a number of times and do not see that she touched Trump at all. Again, different people see different things.

    I've also heard Trump say he wasn't going to "ruin a man's life" over something like this. Now you give me a break. Lewandowski's life will not be ruined regardless of the outcome. Yet more spin from the Donald.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,586 Senior Member
    All this turning everything into anti Trump is once again getting real boring.

    How about we say it like it really was: A reporter attempted to get closer than they should have to a presidential candidate and was stopped.
    If it had been a Secret Service Agent that was between her and Trump when stopped from advancing and she continued, she would have been taken to the ground, end of story besides possible charges and paperwork.

    The media once again sensationalized a situation and used to for their financial gain and to assert their political position.

    You anti Trump folks are going to drag it on and on, so now that I have said my feelings, once again I am heading back to the gun sections. People are more civil over there.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,512 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    All this turning everything into anti Trump is once again getting real boring.

    How about we say it like it really was: A reporter attempted to get closer than they should have to a presidential candidate and was stopped.
    If it had been a Secret Service Agent that was between her and Trump when stopped from advancing and she continued, she would have been taken to the ground, end of story besides possible charges and paperwork.

    The media once again sensationalized a situation and used to for their financial gain and to assert their political position.

    You anti Trump folks are going to drag it on and on, so now that I have said my feelings, once again I am heading back to the gun sections. People are more civil over there.

    How about we put all the facts on the table.

    It's clear that Lewandowski grabbed Michelle Fields. Instead of apologizing for it, or explaining why he did it, he lied about it. Then both he and Trump continued with the lie as well as demonized Fields. Their story has changed from I don't know the woman and never touched her to it's all her fault, or maybe the secret service's fault.

    I'm anti-Trump, but I'm also pro-truth.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    I love the misinformation on this thread. Fields never said she was yanked or thrown to the ground. She said she was yanked down as if to the ground. She was not fired from Breitbart. She resigned. When did it become the campaign managers job to be bodyguard? None of the secret service guys did anything. They must not have seen her as a threat. I think the battery charge is petty, but she has a great case for slander. I hope she sues the ass off the Donald, and Lewandowski.
    It's because I hate Trump.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,586 Senior Member
    You seem to forget that the lady got too close to a presidential candidate.

    Her being wrong started the whole thing.

    If she had not pushed to get closer, nothing would have happened so put the blame where it belongs. Lewandowski has nothing to apologize for. Why he said he never heard of her, we have no idea, maybe he didn't know her name or maybe he is an idiot, probably the later. But, she was the one in the wrong, the media turned it around and made her sound like a victim. Personally I would want to know why the Secret Service detail allowed her to get so close after the interview was over.

    You are being so anti Trump you jump at anything and like the media sensationalize it and use it to attempt to prove your point.

    If you think a reporter or anyone should be able to push their way closer to any Presidential Candidate and anyone that attempts to is not wrong, we have nothing else to discuss except to say we disagree.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,614 Senior Member
    Since when did conservatives start arguing for days about who gets to claim victim status?

    The whole incident is nothing. Had Trump treated it like nothing, instead of going on the attack, it would be forgotten, by now. Instead, it is center stage, and is preventing him from talking about what he would prefer to be talking about. Of course, his opponents are 'rubbing salt into the wound,' at every opportunity - it's politics, and when you smell blood in the water, you go after it. Nobody practices that more often than Trump.
«13456
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.