Magpul Hunter X-22 Stock

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 7,990 Senior Member
https://www.magpul.com/products/hunter-x-22-stock-ruger-10-22

I was thinking today that I have not done anything to my bone stock Ruger 10-22 except put a scope on it.

First thing that I came across was this stock. Thinking of getting one of these and a trigger job to get started.

Anyone have one? Opinions?
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Replies

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 993 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    https://www.magpul.com/products/hunter-x-22-stock-ruger-10-22

I was thinking today that I have not done anything to my bone stock Ruger 10-22 except put a scope on it.

First thing that I came across was this stock. Thinking of getting one of these and a trigger job to get started.

Anyone have one? Opinions?

If you search below, you will see a thread I started on doing a project on my 10/22. I am starting with a new trigger.

From my research, I concluded that it was important to know what you are going to do barrel wise before you swap the stock out b/c the barrel channel matters. Since I can't make up my mind on my end stage barrel, I am deferring the stock swap for now.

Btw - I eventually will go down this path (https://www.hogueinc.com/store/products/10-22-standard-barrel-od-green-rubber-overmolded-stock/5238 ) on my stock.

Good luck.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,309 Senior Member
    I think it's a great idea. Get it before May so I can shoot it. :tooth:
    Cool thing is that with that stock you can change length of pull. And it works with either barrel size.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    I have the Magpul and the Hogue. The Hogue has a lot of flex, and contacts the barrel with just the slightest pressure. It is very light and grips well. The magpul needed some work on the stock to free float. After that work was done it works great. I like them both fine, but have not done any comprehensive testing yet. I will post pics if I can find them.
    It's because I hate Trump.

Finally got this pic to load. Here are the Hogue and Magpul.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,990 Senior Member
    Thanks for posting the pics, it is always nice to see pics from a real user/owner and not marketing pics.

What did you need to do to the Magpul to freefloat the barrel?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I just filed away at the barrel opening in the end of the stock. I had the barreled action in and out about 15 times. I did not want to remove more than I needed to. I don't know if it was a qc thing or just my barrel diameter. It works well now. I like the magpul a lot. It handles well off hand and easy to shoot prone. It is good and stiff, and now free floats. If it had not been for Zee's review on the 700 stock, I would have bought one based on this x-22. The hogue is ok. It is light, but has a lot of flex in the forend. I stiffened up a 700 hogue once and made it better. I have not gotten around to this one.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,990 Senior Member
    Excellent, Thank You

Hopefully I will have this before the trip to Jerry's
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,309 Senior Member
    I just filed away at the barrel opening in the end of the stock. I had the barreled action in and out about 15 times. I did not want to remove more than I needed to. I don't know if it was a qc thing or just my barrel diameter. It works well now. I like the magpul a lot. It handles well off hand and easy to shoot prone. It is good and stiff, and now free floats. If it had not been for Zee's review on the 700 stock, I would have bought one based on this x-22. The hogue is ok. It is light, but has a lot of flex in the forend. I stiffened up a 700 hogue once and made it better. I have not gotten around to this one.
    Ain't they set up for either factory profile or .920? Just flip the plastic insert around/take it out?

As for the Houge, I love the profile, I love the rubberized feel. It's just too damn flexible at the Forened.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    Yep set up for both. There is an insert you remove. It still contacted at the opening.
    You got it Diver. Good luck. I hope it works out for you.