Home Main Category Hunting

Spring Trifecta

1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior MemberPosts: 1,644 Senior Member
Crappie , turkey and morels, I am 0 for three thus far. Tomorrow is the gun opener for mr turkey, I hope one is cooperative. Anyone scored any morels yet?c2c1675929ae8f95c30cc296d944f480.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replies

• CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    Anyone scored any morels yet?

I picked about three dozen on Sunday while scouting for spring Bear. I added them to shrimp scampi last night.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    Still too cold here....another few weeks
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,622 Senior Member
    No turkeys, no shrooms, no crappie, but, today was my first AM in the woods and I have not been on the water yet, so I am still optimistic.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    I picked about three dozen on Sunday while scouting for spring Bear. I added them to shrimp scampi last night.

Ya know, I've eaten Morels about three times in my life and thoroughly enjoyed them. But that's a new idea to me, and the thought of mixing with Shrimp sounds fantastic.

Adding to it, I bet they would be great in an Etufe, the famous Cajun dish.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Been stuck trying to get the gutted bathroom ready for the tile man since the season started. Been cold the last week too. Friday I am writing a hall pass for myself and going looking for turkeys and shrooms.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,644 Senior Member
    Good luck

cpj wrote: »
    Just had a friend bring me a bag. I'm sure there was 30-40, about a half full gallon zip lock bag. The daughter ate a few, and I ate every last one of them.

Do you cook em or eat em raw? The only way I ever ate em was when my ex late mother in law breaded em in flour and fried em.

I wouldn't know a morel in the wild from a piss ant nest. I just ate em when my late father in law would bring em home from squirrel hunting I think.

Around here we have too many poisonous or toxic mushrooms to be picking them unless you're an expert and I'm not one. Then there's those that make you see flying saucers and stuff. I don't want to go there, so I just hunt hogs and fish in the spring. Maybe shoot a few rabbits before it gets warm. It's already too late to be shooting rabbits. But there's a ton a squirrels out at the lease.

There's not enough turkeys on our lease yet to be shooting them. That will be fun when there are however.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Yes breaded and fried in butter, gut bomb deluxe.

cpj wrote: »
    I've sautéed them in butter, and rolled in flour and fried them. I think I prefer them floured and fried. LIGHTLY floured. No heavy batter. You lose the delicate taste. As fas as knowing which is which, morels are the easiest to identify.

Yeah I agree about heavy batter. That goes good with a Chicken Fried Steak but something like ANY vegetable fried would detract from the flavor to me. If I fry even egg plant or squash I just dust em in flour.

But as for IDing em? Hey you don't know how things can get muddled when you're color blind like me. I'll take an expert with me, LOL!

We have either the drug head variety or white toad stools here. They say the white toad stools are deadly. So I tread lightly with Mushrooms.
    Morels around here are pretty distinctive , I think two varieties and if there is any question just let them be . They don't look anything close to a shroom with a cap or a toadstool. As for the cooking we dredge them in egg , dust with flour and sometimes Parmesan fried in butter .

Snowing on Tuesday, 65 on Wednesday, 55 at 5am today, not a single gobble back yet, not sure what the birds are doing.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 769 Senior Member
    People that willingly eat fungus should have their head examined
    photo%202_zpstqadoxtz.jpg

So, I am doing this turkey hunting thing all wrong:( I get home after an unsuccessful morning hunt, feed my trolls, clean up and then go pick up one of my kids friends to come hang out. I get back and son#1 and #3 tell me a wild turkey got a ride into town stuck on someones grill, bails out in front of my neighbors house, jumps up on her car, shakes it off, and runs for parts unknown, son #3 collected some of the feathers.

OK, I stand corrected, the bird got bumped by a car AFTER he bailed out of the neighbors yard, no clue how he got into town.