Home Main Category General Firearms

For Waipapa13

Big Al1Big Al1 Senior MemberPosts: 7,826 Senior Member
Here's some pics of the 1889 Marlin .32-20. It was another pawn shop rescue. This was the first model Marlin with the solid top and side ejection. This one was made in 1890. It was rough when I got it. The bore was oval shaped and bullets hit the target sideways, so I had it re-lined. It had been re-blued at one time, too. Now it's one of my favorite shooters, very accurate. 4.5 grains of Unique, 115 cast at about 1300FPS.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Cool lever rifle!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Very nice.
    Goes nice with the new Colt.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,921 Senior Member
    The old Marlin lever guns are amazing...shortly before I moved I had the opportunity to buy an 1885 in .40-65 ....it had belonged to a family member who was selling his collection of Marlin lever guns that he had amassed over his lifetime. $ 1100.00 for a rifle that was valued considerably higher....just couldn't make it happen though
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    Here's some pics of the 1889 Marlin .32-20. It was another pawn shop rescue. This was the first model Marlin with the solid top and side ejection. This one was made in 1890. It was rough when I got it. The bore was oval shaped and bullets hit the target sideways, so I had it re-lined. It had been re-blued at one time, too. Now it's one of my favorite shooters, very accurate. 4.5 grains of Unique, 115 cast at about 1300FPS.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Now that is one sexy looking Rifle, if a rifle can be sexy! Absolutely beautiful. Bro Al, you Sucketh so extremely hard there!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 838 Senior Member
    Wow, that is a very good looking rifle, thanks for posting some pictures, I bet that little gem turns heads at the range, I like it, a lot.
    Remind me again why we even have the Winchester V. Marlin debate? :jester: surely it should be the Savage/Marlin conundrum, a truly difficult question.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,826 Senior Member
    When I show up to the range, I usually have six or so rifles along that are at least 100 years old. My biggest kick is letting others shoot them. The trapdoors are the most fun. I was shooting the 1884 when the RO walked by and commented "Where's the selector switch??" I told him it was full auto only, just hold back the trigger!!
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,690 Senior Member
    Very nice lever! Once they go "over the fence" due to neglect and wear, it's nice to have recovery projects with these rifles no matter than it won't seem financially sound to some collectors. Recently got as a gift one of those in .44-40 but since I don't carry that locally scarce and expensive caliber, had to give the project (No wood, heavily sanded metal, bulged bore, missing & damaged small parts, etc.) to a friend that manages to reload that round and has more time, patience and handcraft ability to save it; a month later it's working again, although keeping the worn look and using the correct loads to ensure decent accuracy.