Home Main Category General Firearms

I've been down this road before...rebarrel the FN PBR...

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,557 Senior Member
Speaking to a couple of folks in the biz, I've been reintroduced to the idea of rebarreling the FN PBR.

Wanting a precision bolt gun in a 6.5mm caliber it's certainly an option. And one that would incur almost identical costs to buying a whole'nother rifle. The FN has a strong action and I love the Mauser style claw extractor.

A rebarrel/bolt face truing/action truing will run about the same as a new gun and I'd have the added benefit of having an accurized gun without buying a ground-up build. And I already have the Bushnell ERS G2B I can use on the gun. A simple bit of routing out old bedding and skim bedding for the new barrel contour is all that'd be needed with the stock.

Kicking around the idea... the wheels are spinning...
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Get a short-chambered Mauser barrel in .260 Remington in whatever contour you desire. It will screw right onto the FN receiver, and any smith worthy of the name can rechamber it to any of the more effective 6.5 cartridges like the 6.5-06, for instance.
    Jerry
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Get a short-chambered Mauser barrel in .260 Remington in whatever contour you desire. It will screw right onto the FN receiver, and any smith worthy of the name can rechamber it to any of the more effective 6.5 cartridges like the 6.5-06, for instance.
    Jerry

Or maybe to the 6.5 Leopard, otherwise known as the 6.5 WSM. That would be a hoot!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Jerry

Thank you for the insight. It's a short action, so I'm thinking .260AI.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Or maybe to the 6.5 Leopard, otherwise known as the 6.5 WSM. That would be a hoot!

Eh, nah. That would require bolt face/extractor modifications. I'm sticking with the 0.478" case head family. And burn more powder than I'd prefer.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers